Valve Offering Steam Distribution Deal To IGF Finalists

8

Comments

+ Add a Comment
avatar

Shalbatana

Did I mention how much I like Steam?

avatar

proweb365

thanks for informative share! let me check it out!

avatar

vrmlbasic

I'm still not sure why Steam has such a hurdle to jump in order to get in. I can understand an intent to block crappy indie but then Steam lets in crappy games with "real" publishers all the time.

IMHO games shouldn't have more than a perfunctory "is this malware?" check to clear them onto Steam. They should be forced to have demos, however. I'm tired of devs, both big (eg:Eidos) and small, not releasing demos; what is a demo but a superior version of Steam Greenlight, only for every game?

Though I guess there's a silver lining to these absurd Steam restrictions: it could allow for a viable competitor to take off.

avatar

plistumi

What a shame. I do not patronize Steam. I hope the indies will be allowed to distribute in other ways should they decide to enter in contract with Steam.

avatar

Renegade Knight

Steam isn't exclusive. Gog for example sells a lot of games that are on Steam and I'd normally rather get the Gog version.

avatar

yammerpickle2

Steam is a nice way to get indy games exposure and revenue. I know valve takes their cut, but it is cheaper and faster than traditional distribution.

avatar

Joji

I have a question. Valve takes 30% of the profit for each game sold while the creators get the rest of the 70%. Shouldn't Valve only take 20% of the profit as opposed to 30%? I know most distributors take 30%, but I feel as if that's a bit too much.

avatar

Renegade Knight

70% is a bigger cut than they get at retail. That said if someone comes along who can make a profit doing it at 20% odds are they will find a lot of developer support.