Another popular app makes its way to Windows Phone
One of the reasons why Microsoft's Windows Phone platform is getting so soundly beat in the mobile space by Android and iOS (in terms of market share) is because its app selection isn't up to par. It's not just about the sheer number of apps -- having hundreds of flatulence apps is hardly a competitive advantage -- but equally important is ensuring that popular apps are represented. Vine was one that was noticeably missing, until now.
When it comes to Android, mobile users are mostly living in Samsung's galaxy, with relatively few venturing off with other device makers. Based on the latest data from Localytics, Samsung has a 63 percent share of all Android mobile devices, leaving the competition to fight for the remaining 37 percent. Samsung's closest competitor in the Android space is HTC, which lays claim to just 6.5 percent of the market.
Valve has been quite the busy developer as of late. Following the recent unveiling of its Steam Machine, Steam OS, and Steam Controller, Valve has now opened up beta registrations for Steam's upcoming In-Home Streaming service. For your chance to participate, you need to head over to the service's group on the Steam Community website and click the Join Group button.
Now Windows 7 users can enjoy the final version of IE11
Microsoft on Thursday announced that Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) is available to download on Windows 7 systems worldwide in 95 languages. The final version of IE11 was first released to Windows 8.1 on October 17, though a Preview version has been available to download from Microsoft since back in June. The final build that's now available to Windows 7 users offers the same improved performance, security, privacy, and reliability that consumers enjoy on Windows 8.1, Microsoft says.
Gaming has long been a driving force on the PC, though sometimes it's easy to forget when companies put so much focus on dedicated consoles. Even Microsoft is guilty of turning its back on the PC gamer to some extent. Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer admitted as much, saying he and his company "lost our way a bit in supporting Windows games," but that's in the past. Looking ahead, Spencer and company have found renewed interest in PC gaming.
Windows XP is still the second most popular OS in the world
Microsoft plans to finally cut off support for Windows XP in April 2014. There are no more reprieves in sight, nor are there likely to be any for an operating system that was made available to the general public around this time 12 years ago. That's an absolute eternity in technology years, but Windows XP remains such a well liked OS that it's still holding its own as the second most installed OS in the world.
Monaco: What’s Yours Is Mine could really just be called Monaco: What You Make of It.
It’s not that Monaco’s gameplay is overly complicated. At its core, this is one of the more simplified crime-themed titles you’ll likely ever get your hands on. You need to master all of three buttons or so in this top-down, pixilated “heist game” that developer Pocketwatch Game has released via Valve’s Steam platform.
Note: This review was originally featured in the August 2013 issue of the magazine.
HTC One promises an update to KitKat within 90 days
Android 4.4 (KitKat) has arrived, having hitched a ride on top of Google's Nexus 5 smartphone that was made available to order yesterday. That's great if you plan to purchase a Nexus 5, but what if you already own a smartphone and aren't in a position to upgrade? More specifically, what about HTC One owners? Well, the good news is that HTC apparently confirmed plans to port KitKat over to its One smartphone.
Latest Catalyst driver from AMD makes BF4 more stable
AMD has been busy belting out beta drivers as of late, both because the company launched a new line of graphics cards (Radeon R7 and R9 Series) and to improve performance in Battlefield 4, one of the most anticipated games of the year. We know it can get old installing GPU drivers all the time, but if you're experiencing crashes in Battlefield 4 under Windows 8, you should considering loading up the newest AMD Catalyst 13.11 beta driver.
It's official, Steam is more popular than Xbox Live
Valve today announced that its Steam digital distribution platform is experiencing tremendous growth and is now home to over 65 million accounts. Active accounts are up 30 percent during the trailing 12 months on Steam, which offers over 3,000 games and software titles. The achievement gives Steam bragging rights over Microsoft's Xbox Live service, which currently boasts 48 million members.