Ivytown will slip into Intel's Xeon E7 chip family
Intel's codenames for processors sound like directions someone might give you if you get lost in the country. Take a wrong turn off of I64 in West Virginia, for example, and you might be told that Ivytown is on the other side of Ivy Bridge, not to be confused with Sandy Bridge. In reality, Ivytown is Intel's codename for an upcoming 15-core Xeon processor based on Ivy Bridge and designed for high-end servers.
Panther 5SE is packed with server grade components in a portable form factor
You may want to put your Ultrabook in the other room and turn on SpongeBob before reading any further, we wouldn't want that system suddenly feeling inadequate. With Eurocom's Panther 5S3 Mobile Server, it's not a question of whether it can run Crysis, but can it pull its weight as an entire network server for 20 to 50 users? The answer to that question is "Yes" and you don't even need a server room do it.
Boutique builder Puget Systems put its penchant for building whisper quiet PCs to the test by attempting to silence its Genesis II workstation featuring a pair of Intel Xeon E5 processors. No small task considering the system's waving around some high-end hardware, though Puget claims it was successful in piecing together what it considers the "most powerful quiet PC" it's ever built.
Hewlett-Packard today announced the availability of its Z1 user-serviceable all-in-one PC. Unveiled in February at the HP Global Partnership Conference, the Z1 is said to be the world’s first all-in-one workstation with a 27-inch diagonal display. Hit the jump for more.
The Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) at the University of Texas at Austin is building a world-class supercomputer called "Stampede." It's scheduled to power on in 2013 and will solicit 20 percent of its performance from Intel's Xeon E5 series processors, and the other 80 percent from Intel's "Knights Corner" co-processors based on Intel's Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture.
iBuyPower just launched its new Professional Series line of workstations with modern powerhouse amenities like second generation Core i7 and Xeon processors, hardware RAID options, and Nvidia Quadro graphics cards. There are three baseline configurations to choose from, including the Professional Series Z68, Xeon, and X58, each one fully customizable with off-the-shelf hardware.
Intel on Wednesday showcased its latest cloud technologies with "the world's smallest cloud data center" demonstration tool. It's essentially the cloud stuffed into a box, that itself is small enough to be packed away in a suitcase, though we don't imagine actually doing that would be good for the hardware inside considering the lack of ventilation and all.
If you're into the server scene, and in particular have a fetish for Supermicro Superservers, go ahead and cue the Tim Allen man grunt now. AVADirect, custom builders of high-end gaming desktops, notebooks, and workstations, just "added a whole new animal" to its server lineup based on Intel's socket 1366 Xeon Westmere-EX processors. Monstrous specs after the break.
Hewlett-Packard on Tuesday announced a bunch of new additions to its workstation portfolio. The reinforcement exercise adds a lot of variety to the company's EliteBook series of mobile workstations with three new models - 8760w, 8560w and 8460w, whereas the Z210 is the only new workstation of the desktop variety.
There's a whirlwind of uncertainty surrounding Intel's Itanium platform. Oracle recently announced its decision to discountinue all software development for Itanium processors, and with the launch of Intel's "Westemere-EX" family of 32nm server chips, including 10-core E7 processors, does Intel itself even care about Itanium anymore? The short answer is 'yes.'