T-Mobile has never been invited to the iPhone party, and that's probably not going to change when Apple unveils the iPhone 5 next month. Instead, an internal company memo leaked to the Web suggests T-Mobile is working on a strategy for "Selling Against the iPhone," which would be an awfully awkward thing to train its employees to do if, in fact, the wireless carrier was receiving iPhone devices.
The Curiosity rover on Mars isn't the only thing NASA is busy with these days. According to reports, NASA is getting ready to send a pair of cube-shaped nano-satellites weighing just over 2 pounds into space, but just as interesting as the size and weight is the fact that they're powered by Android smartphones. It's part of a nifty project called PhoneSat overseen by the agency's Small Spacecraft Technology program.
When I was growing up, I knew better than to wear a baseball cap at the dinner table and risk the wrath of my mother, a woman of Italian descent who could cook up a storm and asked (demanded, really) proper manners in return. To this day I won't wear a hat at a dinner table, even if is socially acceptable on a casual basis, but I have been known to whip out my smartphone for one reason or another, a practice my mother would have also banned if they were around when I was growing up, and one that can result in a higher dinner bill.
If there's a better way to wipe off the morning grogginess than by washing down sugary treats with a strong cup of joe, we haven't found it yet. In the meantime, we consider coffee and baked goods a perfectly acceptable way to start off the day, and if you're a fan of Dunkin' Donuts, you don't even need to fumble through your wallet for loose bills now that the chain accepts mobile payments.
Have you ever seen a couple of nerds try to trash talk each other? If not, you may get your chance, as Nokia's Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Chris Weber, took to Twitter to call out rival Samsung and warn the company that it's bringing its A-game with its next generation Lumia device. It's not an earth shattering tweet by any means, though you don't often see company execs calling out their rivals.
Privacy advocates aren't going to like this one, but a 2-1 ruling in the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit has given law enforcement officials the legal right to track suspects by cell phone in real-time without first obtaining a warrant. The ruling revolves around a case in which Melvin Skinner, a convicted drug trafficker, sought to have his charges dismissed on the basis that his arrest ran afoul of the Fourth Amendment.
We have both good news and bad news to share with HTC One X owners today. Starting with the former, HTC said it's issuing an over-the-air (OTA) update that will include an upgraded version of Android and an improved Sense experience. So what's the bad news? It's not a Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) update, just an improved version of Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.4), albeit one that brings with it some neat improvements.
With all due respect to Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, and any other mobile platform not named Android or iOS, you're all just a bunch of also-rans in what's becoming "unquestionably a two-horse race," according to data and analysis by International Data Corporation (IDC). Android and iOS set a new combined smartphone OS record in the second quarter of 2012, with the two platforms feasting on an 85 percent share of the market, leaving just 15 percent in scraps for all others to fight over.
In the wake of AT&T rolling out Mobile Share data plans that allow its subscribers to share up to 20GB of data per month across a swath of wireless devices, Verizon Wireless has come forward to say, 'Hey, our Share Everything plans also go up to 20GB!' Big Red unveiled half a dozen shared data plans back in June that ranged from 1GB for $50/month to 10GB for $100/month, but it turns out there were higher tiers available. Twice as many, in fact.
Companies like HTC and every other smartphone maker competing against Apple and Samsung face a harsh reality, albeit an obvious one -- they're not Apple or Samsung. That should go without saying, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow the fact that everyone seems to want an iPhone or Galaxy S III. HTC, which played a major role in popularizing Android as a legitimate contender in the mobile OS space, is now struggling to remain relevant in a market it helped create.