There's a ton of cash to be made if you can correctly predict which NFL team will win the Super Bowl, unfortunately Marty McFly burned Grays Sports Almanac in Back to the Future II, though it only listed statistics up to the year 2000 anyway. The next best thing is to look at the numbers and run a bunch of a simulations, which is exactly what a computer program called The Predictalator did.
Ladies, here comes the big confession: I’m a space geek. There’s a ton of cool stuff out there in the night sky, it does cool things, and it really makes me feel like an ant in a humongous vacuum–er, tank– whenever I turn my face to the night sky and gaze at the big, shining, millions-of-years-old flickering lights.
I’ve previously turned to a freeware app called Celestia for all my non-TIE-Fighter-based space needs (the irony being that you can actually import Star Wars ships into the space-simulationg app, but I digress). A newcomer has since entered the playing field and, minus the fact that you’ll have to practically buy a new hard drive for the 366-megabyte download, it’s a pretty awesome looking voyage through the universe!
The human brain, while it might not seem so at first glance, is a vastly superior computing machine. Nice to know, since it has perhaps a billion years of evolutionary tinkering to work out the bugs. As such it is an ideal model to emulate: the internal communication structure, low power consumption, and compact size make it incredibly efficient. IBM announced today that it has taken a step closer toward developing a computer which stimulates and emulates the brain’s ability to sense, perceive, recognize, and interact.
The result is a computer with an intelligence level approaching that of a cat. (What, it lays about 90% of the day sleeping, and spends the remaining 10% whining?) The breakthrough by the IBM team, in cooperation with researchers at Stanford University, employs a new algorithm that allows large-scale cortical simulation, and replicates a billion spiking neurons and 10 trillion individual learning synapses.
Joesphine Cheng, an IBM fellow and lab director of the IBM research facility, in a released statement said: “Learning from the brain is an attractive way to overcome power and density challenges faced in computing today. As the digital and physical worlds continue to merge and computing becomes more embedded in the fabric of our daily lives, it’s imperative that we create a more intelligent computing system that can help us make sense the vast amount of information that’s increasingly available to us, much the way our brains can quickly interpret and act on complex tasks.”
Whether you lost your license for racking up too many points for speeding and reckless driving or just can't stand to be anywhere else other than behind the wheel, Logitech has you covered. The gaming peripheral company today announced the G27 Racing Wheel, which it says is "designed to deliver the definitive sim racing experience."
For three Benjamins, the G27 will have you gripping tight corners and feeling the road courtesy of a dual-motor force feedback mechanism. A hand-stitched leather wheel helps justify the cost of admission, as does a six-speed gated shifter complimented by a new LED RPM/shift indicator. Other features include steel-constructed gas, brake, and clutch pedals, and more programmable buttons than the G25.
Logitech says the G27 will be available in the U.S. and Europe sometime in September and will work with both PCs and the Playstation 3.