Pricing premium or not, there's a market for Apple branded HDTVs.
It's long been rumored Apple would eventually release its own brand high definition television (HDTV), but given the premium price tags the Cupertino company often applies to its products, would it sell enough units to make the venture worthwhile? Who are we kidding, of course it would! A new survey suggests a large number of people are interested in an Apple HDTV, many of which would be willing to pay a higher price tag (this is where we feign surprise).
AlphaWise and Morgan Stanley polled 1,568 U.S. households to gauge interest in such a device and found that 11 percent are "extremely interested," AppleInsider reports. Another 36 percent said they are "somewhat interested," bringing the total percentage of interested parties to 47 percent. Put another way, that's nearly 1 out of 2 households.
Out of those surveyed, 20 percent said they would be willing to pay a premium to buy an Apple branded TV. That number would surely rise if Apple ever released its own HDTV and ran it through its marketing machine. Respondents between the ages of 18 and 29 were the most willing to pay a premium, up to 32 percent over what they paid for their current TV, though all age groups show a willingness to spend at least 15 percent more.
Another interesting tidbit is that hundreds of those surveyed don't know what they're talking about. Big surprise, right? More specifically, 18 percent were found to own a "smart" TV, while 13 percent said they didn't know what a smart TV is.