- About Future
- Digital Future
- Cookies Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Investor Relations
- Contact Future
YouTuber ghostlyrich was appropriately alarmed when his Samsung Galaxy S4 caught fire after he started charging the phone. He uploaded a video of the damage to YouTube to prove to Samsung that the phone was defective. The three-minute video shows off a partially melted micro-USB cable and a burned charging port. Gadgets malfunction all the time, but Samsung's response is more than a little disheartening.
Samsung’s reply was a settlement proposal that offered a replacement phone only if ghostlyrich deleted his YouTube video, promised not to upload similar material, waived his right to sue, and would also “irrevocably release, remise, quit claim and forever discharge Samsung.”
Ghostlyrich has responded by uploading another video which has since generated over 400,000 views—over five times the 70,000 view count on his original video. Samsung’s attempt to put the incident to bed has completely backfired into a lose-lose situation leaving a customer without a phone and a company with a burnt image.
How do you think Samsung should have handled the situation? Tell us in the comments.