Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DDR3 1333
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:43 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

I have seen the following types of DDR3 1333, and I am not sure as to what the differences are.

PC3 10600
PC3 10660
PC3 10666

I have noticed a lot motherboards except DDR 1333, But what flavor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:14 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

There's not much of a difference there, I think its all PC3-10600.

Motherboard manufacturers provide Memory Support List/Qualified Vendors List (QVL) that show us what the board is capable of running. Some are more detailed than others, but I think they're all kind of generic.

You can find RAM that is known to have problems on the QVLs, and great RAM is excluded. I always read reviews to ensure the board performs and overclocks (CPU/FSB/RAM) well. Then do a little research on the specific RAM's performance and compatibly afterwards.

Got a specific board or RAM in mind? Help Me Buy/Help Me Build might be a better location if that's what you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Gigabyte wrote:

You can find RAM that is known to have problems on the QVLs, and great RAM is excluded. I always read reviews to ensure the board performs and overclocks (CPU/FSB/RAM) well. Then do a little research on the specific RAM's performance and compatibly afterwards.

Yup. You won't find OCZ on any QVLs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:56 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

longhorn19 wrote:
Yup. You won't find OCZ on any QVLs.
Yet, you'll find the exact same IC's from those on the list that OCZ uses. And then consider the ideal that perhaps OCZ gets the pick of the litter from those.

QVL's are like suggesting oils to use in your car. So the Corvette comes with Mobile1. Does that mean Valvoline is bad and won't work at all? Not at all. If you're making memory, you may want to push marketing and get your name on that QVL. You pay Intel/AMD to test your memory and get on that list. It's not cheap at all either. They'll rip through that and say whether it works or not, and it's not a drill Sargent test either. Plug it in, it works on standard stresses, and it gets on the list. You, as the memory maker, pretty much pay a 3rd party to do what you already do as users.

Memory is all about the IC's. If Corsair is on the list as approved with the same IC OCZ uses, what's the dif? The Dif is that OCZ didn't pay to get on some useless list. QVL's are legal schmigal junk that they can default grandma and grandpa with. If you have an actual dispute and the memory doesn't work, if the IC's are the same we can really get to the meat.

May work for newegg reviewers, but most MPC'ers know what IC's they run. And they're on the list. I mean, you have about 3 people that make the IC's. If Adata is on there, the same OCZ IC will work too...if not better.

Yet...I find it odd that memory that is known to be bad, is on the QVL. Don't you? It's an awful stink of the past month, and it's just now getting corrected. Brand is brand...IC's are what's on the QVL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:52 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Yeah, I don't even bother to check QVLs. I'm in almost 100% agreement with you here Chumly, except that I don't know as much about the details of the whole thing, the integrated circuits and all. :shock: OCZ is good memory, I know that, you know that, everyone does. In the off chance it doesn't work, its not OCZs fault, its either my dumbass fault for doing something wrong, the motherboard is lame, or UPS did something.

With everything you have said, it actually makes sense bad memory would be on QVLs. Why wouldn't they pay to be on the QVL? Hey, its on the list; it must be good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Bad memory may not be on the list, but bad memory matches the same IC and builds as those that are on the list.

Reading through the crummy CPU mag on my flight back home, they really like the Corsair/OCZ 2000Mhz DDR3...which is in the middle of a huge shitstorm from horrible IC's. Was in that storm before it went to print too, pulled as it was written, and the ink dried as the folks were correcting the problem.

Were they on QVL's? Probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

QVL is just hand tested rams to confirm that will work for the mainsteam consumer who doesn't tweak much. Therefore any ram could work but a good ram vendor such as OCZ,PNY,Corsair,G-skill,Patriot,Kingston,Mushkin or Supertalent has better compability for the motherboard that has been used for.