Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop laptop
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:11 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

heeey

i've been a lil' out of the loop on the 'latest goods' ... and im looking to buy a laptop this summer..

i've been extremely interested in the new june'09 macbooks, specifically the 13'' book.

the only gripe i have that making me not do the purchase, is because the macbook has a glossy screen. i .. cant.. deal .. with ... glossy .. screens.. period.

i feel comfortable with the 13''macbook specs, 4gb ram.. and that 9600nvidia thingy.. im guessing it will have no problem running games like DawnOfWar 2 & Demigod with nice graphics settings and still maintain 30+fps.

or maybe those specs wont? :x

can anyone help throw a few other options for me...12 to 15'', no glossy screen, decent battery life, 4gb ram, are my greatest concerns.
preferably under 15"... thanks for helping!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i do believe that the macbooks come with 9400m graphics. Shitty at best. Also, how do you plan to run games on a mac? You gonna install vista on it?

Take that money you were planning on spening on a macbook, and go to newegg and pick yourself out a nice laptop. Look at Asus and MSI for good quality and reasonable cheap. Acer has cheap laptops, but not the greatest quality. Lenovo has high quality, but you'll pay for it.

i even did a search for you on newegg here... Most of these will pwn a stupid mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

You'll need to install windows for sure to be able to play games.

Honestly, skip the mac. Especially if you wanna game. Spend the same amount on a PC and you will be much better off (Getting 2-3 times the machine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:17 am 

Don't take these post as a PC vs. MAC competition either, the plain and simply fact is that if your buying a Mac, your paying for the name and the use of their little store... they are not the best machines, and certainly not good for gaming by any means. Bottom line is if you want a more powerful machine and want to spend less money, the ONLY way to go is a PC. Also most laptops have integrated video cards on the motherboard, which isn't THAT good for gaming... unless you really need the mobility I would suggest buying a desktop, but if you need a laptop then check out the Dell XPS's, and similiar brands, these will blow Mac out of the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

teh 1337 haxxor wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i do believe that the macbooks come with 9400m graphics. Shitty at best. Also, how do you plan to run games on a mac? You gonna install vista on it?

Take that money you were planning on spening on a macbook, and go to newegg and pick yourself out a nice laptop. Look at Asus and MSI for good quality and reasonable cheap. Acer has cheap laptops, but not the greatest quality. Lenovo has high quality, but you'll pay for it.

i even did a search for you on newegg here... Most of these will pwn a stupid mac

CrashTECH wrote:
You'll need to install windows for sure to be able to play games.

Honestly, skip the mac. Especially if you wanna game. Spend the same amount on a PC and you will be much better off (Getting 2-3 times the machine).

Mothership wrote:
Don't take these post as a PC vs. MAC competition either, the plain and simply fact is that if your buying a Mac, your paying for the name and the use of their little store... they are not the best machines, and certainly not good for gaming by any means. Bottom line is if you want a more powerful machine and want to spend less money, the ONLY way to go is a PC. Also most laptops have integrated video cards on the motherboard, which isn't THAT good for gaming... unless you really need the mobility I would suggest buying a desktop, but if you need a laptop then check out the Dell XPS's, and similiar brands, these will blow Mac out of the water.

kay thanks all you that replied :D fully appreciated.

one key reason i left out in my top post why i was even considering the mac was because im already in the midst of developing games for the iphone, and i heard that you require some kind of a mac to be 'legally' publishing it or something along that lines. also mac has a promotion to get a free itouch, which sounded perfect for my needs as a developer (free testbed!)

but now after reading the replies.. im stuck and hence my need for help starting this thread.

also yes, i will be installing windows onto the macbook. picking the mac also grants me access to Final Cut Pro which is a necessity for a class i'll be taking soon in school.

again, i only posted this thread to see if anyone could suggest other alternatives if i decided to ditch the macbook option..looking to hear more options..thanks all for helping.

greets~!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:57 am 
Klamath
Klamath

hmm thanks for the link, i found a laptop that im ready to purchase finally...
it has a glossy screen .. but i heard that there's "stick-on mattes" to solve that problem...

its 999bucks now on newegg, anyone has this laptop already ? any opinions on the specs? it sounds pretty alrite for 'all rounder' vs size. just worried bout it's battery life..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220519

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:45 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

That looks pretty good. I'm not really sure how the GT 120m stacks up against the 9600m or the 9800m. The 120m is new, but that doesn't mean that is going to be faster. It will probably use less power though.

That laptop should handle dawn of war 2 and demigod fine. My former roommate played dawn of war 2 fine on his 9600m gt with the same processor as that laptop and 4 gigs of ram.

Also, you can probably purchase a second 9 cell batter for that laptop if you really need the battery life. You may want to ask in the roadwarrior pitstop though.

One thing that I am unsure about that you may want to research a little before you buy is if you can upgrade to windows 7 for free.

Also, it appears that the laptop may or may not come with x64 Vista, meaning that you'll only see about 3 gigs of ram with 32 bit.

"Its a PC"