Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: "Secure" auto-login for Vista
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:54 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

So I like to have my backup, antivirus, firewall, etc. all load before I sue my PC, because that way I can be protected, as well as have a backup if I delete something important. I also don't like having to wait 30 seconds for the OS to boot, and then another 30 while everything loads, and then deal with another 60 seconds of backing up files, because typically I just boot the PC and then go change or something. An option to solve this would be auto-login, the only problem is that means anyone could use my PC. Is there any way to make Windows (Vista) automatically load up everything, but still require a password (kind of like turning on the PC, and then locking it with Windows+L as soon as it can)?

Or if not, can I set some sort of .bat to run on startup that can lock the system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:50 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/tips/schnoll1.mspx

idk if that works in vista, but you can try and place a shortcut in your start-up folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:21 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Airheadq wrote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/tips/schnoll1.mspx

idk if that works in vista, but you can try and place a shortcut in your start-up folder.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but I really appreciate having any sort of response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:32 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I usually put vista in hibernation mode. (the system uptime is usually like a couple weeks :D )

When you want to turn off your computer, don't put it into hibernation mode as this will save and write all the data to the hd. You can even remove power form the system i.e the battery or remove the power cord. Then when I need windows again, I just turn it on as normal, it will resume form hibernation, log in and everything is as I left it. I wouldn't recommend games or anything intensive however but text documents and the like are still there.

You might want to configure the back up software to be on demand or something.

Last edited by Airheadq on Fri May 15, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

AV boots first in the services, so you're cool there. Firewalls don't need to be up right away and can load in the middle.

I don't understand doing backups at bootup though. What if the last time you shutdown something was wrong? You boot up, and you backup the problem right away and now both are toast. That's why I don't like scheduled backups very much. Just manually do it on the weekend, or on the fly for documents.