Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Core Temp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:49 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I recently built a new PC with a Core i7 920 CPU (my first multi-core) and running Core Temp 0.99.4 shows some difference in temps between cores.

Idle Temps (stock HSF)
Core #0: ~45C to 47C
Core #1: ~38C to 40C
Core #2: ~45C to 47C
Core #3: ~38C to 40C

Is it normal to have this kind of difference between core temps? If it were just a couple of degrees difference I wouldn't think anything of it, but this makes me suspicious that something might be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:16 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Generally for identical loads I like to see a delta temperature of no more than a few degrees. That is just me. Assuming the same loads on the processor cores if there is a large delta then I would be looking at my HSF and how my thermal compound was applied.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:49 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Well, I've reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the HSF a few times and while I have gotten the overall temperatures to drop, I still get the same strange temperature spread.

Here are the new temps

Idle Temps (stock HSF - AS5)
Core #0: ~39C to 40C
Core #1: ~32C to 33C
Core #2: ~39C to 40C
Core #3: ~32C to 33C

As you can see I'm getting much better idles temps than I was before. I used the line method for applying the thermal paste. With 4 attempts, 2 using the line method and 2 using the center blob, the line method seems to produce lower temps for me.

Under load running Prime95 none of the cores went above 75C, but the same temperature differences between cores remained with one core sitting at around 68C while under load. I'm happy with these new temps overall, but I wish I could get all four cores to match the lowest temps. I've considered 'lapping', but have never done that before so I'll just be content with what I've got.

I have read on a few other forums that I'm not alone and other people (a few) seem to be getting odd temperature spreads with the new i7's, so at least I'm not alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:48 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Not bad at all, and note how applying the TIM a few times using different methods did pretty much as you would expect it to.

Ron