Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading from a Radeon 800X what should I pick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:05 am 

**UPDATED TO REFLECT that Linux guy's QUESTIONS**

I am considering upgrading my 4yo Radeon 800X PCIE video card, but I have no clue as to what is Low/Middle/Upper end cards (Other than price).

I am not sure exactly what information will help anyone make suggestions, but here is what I can remember off the top of my head about my system.

Monitor: 19" Viewsonic

Resolution: I normally run 1024X768 but the max resolution for the monitor is 1280X1024 (I think), so I guess that could be a consideration also.

Mobo: Asus Socket 939 A8N5X

CPU: Athalon 64 3200

Ram: 2gb DDR PC Dual Channel

HD: WDC WD2500KS

PSU: Antec 500W.

Video settings for games: I do like to run them as high as I can without "stuttering" but I dont really mess around with AA that much. I might have set that and the antroscopic (spelling?) filtering to 1 each mabye.

I know that I do not want a card costing more than $150, so I guess that limits me to the Mid/Low end cards.

What would be good upgrade cards and what kind of performance boost could I expect over the 800X I currently have?

Last edited by thafrogggg on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:26 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

X800? I remember when that was brand new. :)

In the $120-$150 price range, you're looking at an ATI Radeon HD 4830 or Nvidia 9800GT. Both of these cards sit squarely at the $130 mark in stock trim. Every now and again, you can find a Radeon HD4850 ( a significantly better card) for $150. There are other factors to the recommendation too. It depends on your resolution, if you're anal about high settings with or without filters, and the rest of your rig. A P4 or Athlon64 build will bottle-neck any newe card you buy. Tell us a bit more about your preferences and your machine. just going by price, my recommendations are solid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:13 am 

Anyone else have any suggestions, or do you have any updates suggestion based on my post edit Linux Guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:13 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Well, lower resolutions like 1024x768 usually rely more on CPU power than GPU power. While a newer video card won't hurt, you're actually better off getting a newer CPU. Unfortunately, socket 939 CPUs are difficult to come by, so I'd look into upgrading.

Are you getting bad performance in newer games, or have you tried yet? I'll admit, I'm itching for an upgrade myself (from an Nvidia 7900GS), and I hate to play newer games. Even Assassin's Creed I got for my Bday... can't play it because it's more of a slideshow than a game.

I'm not totally sure what to recommend on this one. I mean, I'd hate to recommend getting a new card only to see a few FPS difference between your old card and a newer one. I know the CPU does have a lot to do with FPS in lower resolutions, but again, I don't want to recommend something only to have it not work out. I DO know the cards I recommended are great for your monitor's max resolution though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:25 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

The HD4830 is probably your best bet if you don't want to upgrade your processor/ram/motherboard. Even that may bottleneck a little with your current proc/ram, but at least the card is cheap. It will also show some significant gains over the old X800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 am 

bigtoyota479 wrote:
The HD4830 is probably your best bet if you don't want to upgrade your processor/ram/motherboard. Even that may bottleneck a little with your current proc/ram, but at least the card is cheap. It will also show some significant gains over the old X800.

"Significant gains" yeah that is the word I am looking for. I am not quite ready to build a new rig just yet, maybe next year, but I do want better performance than what I am getting out of my current card.

that linux guy wrote:
Are you getting bad performance in newer games, or have you tried yet?

Linux Guy, I have tried several newer games and on most, I am having to run low, low/mid, or mid settings to get a decent game experience. One newer game, boishock for example, is just out of my league even at all low settings. I am not looking to be able to play that on all mid settings even with a new card; I know that is more than likely a pipe dream, but for the games that I do play, I would like to get the most out of them that I can.

Who knows, with a new card, maybe I can even go to 1280 x 1024. The max setting on my monitor (yeah it is old as dirt, but the display is still great and I am cheap).

Thanks for both your suggestions. I will look into the 4830 for now and start saving up the cash for a rig build next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I'm getting into the same boat as you. I'm focusing my money more on other things (IT certs and school) rather than computer hardware. My 7900GS runs newer games like a slideshow at my monitor's resolution of 1680x1050. I'm getting to the point where I"m gaming at low res just to keep the eye candy, lol.

If you don't want to start dropping large amounts of cash for new video cards, I suggest keeping your monitor. Having a 22" widescreen is nice, but I used to get a mild video card or a decent price. Now, to play the games the way I want for a year or two, costs an arm and a leg (Arms and Legs are now $299! Tell your quadriplegic friends). Be warned, higher res will need a much nicer video card for longevity's sake.

I think you'll love the HD4830. It should last you as long as your X800 did and that's no small feat. That cards pushing 5 years old I'm sure.