Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: phpBB v3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:07 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

phpBB v3 has gone gold. Can we expect the forum to be updated some time in the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 pm 
Flammable Fart
Flammable Fart

I'd expect them to wait a few weeks just to make sure everything is worked out. Also they have to implement it into their current system. This requires them to learn how phpbb3 is laid out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:06 am 
Northwood
Northwood

It has been mentioned several times in the past that there is only one person to maintain 12+ sites so it will probably be a while. Especially if it doesn't fix something that is actually broken.

Post subject: phpBB2 VS phpBB3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:39 pm 

I would give the phpBB3 community a little more time to work on mods and what not. A lot of great mods on version 2 have not yet been recoded for version 3.

Post subject: Re: phpBB2 VS phpBB3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:22 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

TheBrosAdmin wrote:
I would give the phpBB3 community a little more time to work on mods and what not. A lot of great mods on version 2 have not yet been recoded for version 3.

What mods does this forum use?

Post subject: mods used
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:19 pm 

I would assume that the site uses some kind of integration mod between the main page and the phpBB forums. phpBB is more specific to forums whereas CMS systems such as phpnuke and Joomla are more content oriented. I'm not sure what this site uses as it's CMS but it is possible that they do not have an easy way to make it all work together with phpBB3. I've seen some mods that claim to be able to integrate the user accounts between different CMS's however they seem to be buggy and difficult to configure. It's true that the forum itself does not appear to have many mods, however it is possible that the backend has quite a few for things such as user management and ban controls. My site still uses phpBB2 just because there seems to be quite a bit more support for it. One of the main things I use phpBB for is the MPS mod, which has not been ported to phpBB3 yet. But hey I could be wrong, I would assume this is the reason for the delay though. 8)

Post subject: Re: phpBB2 VS phpBB3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:22 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

TheBrosAdmin wrote:

Mods are not commonly used here.

Software is upgraded as needed .. not whenever a new version is released.

You guys have to bear in mind that this forum is maintained by employees who are paid for their time and have other responsibilities. If the forum works now (and it does), why spend money to upgrade?