Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Favorite/Best/Most Unexpected or Unique Dream Machine
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:52 am 

With Dream Machine 2007's (aka DM12) arrival just days away, I recently starting thinking... what has been my favorite Maximum PC Dream Machine EVER?? With 13 versions to choose from (2001 had 3 Dream Machines... gaming, content creation & entertainment versions) I finally decided on these three as one that really stood out in my mind from all the others:

#3) Dream Machine 2005 (DM X) - Using an AMD processor for the first time in an all-in-one Dream Machine, the "Dual Everything" concept had the editors abandoning the old "speed at any cost here and now" philosophy of previous Dream Machines and built a machine that could be getting faster as we speak with software just now being optimized for four core processors. Two years into the future DM X gave us a glimpse of the four core future many of us are just now entering (thank you July 22 price cuts!!)

#2) Dream Machine 2002 (DM 7) - The "speed tested, overclocked & ready to burn" sports car themed DM 7 was cock full of "not for mere mortals, pre-production parts" and a paint job last produced 27 years earlier which only hard core foreign car fanatics would have remembered. And in another blow against conventional thought, MPC Computer Sports thumbed its noses at the DDR loving crowd and stuck with RDRAM one last time. From its custom fitted power cables sleeve tubing, the 9700 video card practically stolen from ATI, and the first painted Dream Machine, DM 7 started the trend of expecting next generation parts on the inside and beautiful paint jobs on the outside.

#1) Dream Machine 200 (DM 5) - Like the impact of experiencing an atomic wedgie, a purple nurple & a ton of bricks falling on you all occuring at the same time, DM 5 came out of the blue like a bolt of lightning on a clear day and rewrote what the Dream Machine should be. Coming from the ashes of the previous year's WEAK Dream Machine (somewhat buried in a how-to article and configured to JUST barely equal MAXPC's baseline Dell), DM 5 became the first "modern" Dream Machine, one built without regards to the previous boot/Maximum PC self imposed monetary spending limit of $5000 and ended up being a behemoth that looked like it needed a forklift just to move it around. But DM 5 was also the end of an era, when computers were filled to the gills with multiple optical drives, tons o' fans, maxed out PCI slots full of SCSI & MPEG decoder cards, and a rat’s nest of a wiring job that made Larry Fine's hair looked like it was styled & groomed by Vidal Sassoon. I am sure that you would do exactly like what Frederick Vong on page 70 of the November 2000 issue seems to be about ready to do: Bow down in the presence of the "holy incarnation known as" Dream Machine 2000 and do your best Wayne & Garth imitation... "I'm not worthy!"

I actually got thinking about the above after wondering what this year’s Dream Machine configuration would consist of. I was wondering if we would be totally & completely surprised by something unexpected like an eight core setup with two Phenom FX processors or perhaps even just an overclocked Barcelona. But, apparently, neither is not going to happen according to what Gordon Mah Ung mentioned in podcast #25 (I guess either an overclocked & water cooled Core 2 Extreme QX6850 or more exciting, a Penryn will fill the CPU socket). Also mentioned as Dream Machine 2007 components by “The Murphâ€

Last edited by Insula Gilliganis on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:15 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I would bet that there will be a 4 Terabyte Array, a Pc Power and Cooling PSU, and a Silverstone Case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:15 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Its odd that we are just talking about the DM right now. Wheres all the hype?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:56 am 
Stewie Federation (2 Million)

I have a guess on what the PC might be...

CPU: Intel Penryn Quad-Core (overclocked 5GHz+)
Mobo: Intel x38 chipset
Video: 2x 8800Ultra
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator (DDR3?)
PSU: PC P&C 750w
HDD: 4x 1TB RAID0 :roll:
Optical: Same as previous build
Case: Silverstone or Coolermaster
Cooling: Danger Den Custom Kit

I hope i didn't spoil it :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:44 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

well i would expect a phenom or barcelona, because that would be more likely, sincei t's coming out sooner...
so maybe a 4x4 w/ those basic 2.0ghz bareclonas, and dual 8800's on the 680a or some amd chipset... and the new updated pcp 1kw psu w/ 8pin connectors, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:17 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

PC_destroyer wrote:

:shock: My god, man. I suppose that machine would be awesome. Awesomely unreliable. And awesomely setting-the-water-cooling-kit-ablaze-in-a-giant-burst-of-white-hot-light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:52 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

TheMurph wrote:
PC_destroyer wrote:

:shock: My god, man. I suppose that machine would be awesome. Awesomely unreliable. And awesomely setting-the-water-cooling-kit-ablaze-in-a-giant-burst-of-white-hot-light.

Naaah. All you need is liquid nitrogen to cool it. That overclocking maniac who goes by the handle kingpin cranked his Intel QX6700 up to 5 GHz. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

well it was a good build, i thought you guys were going to get some exclusive parts, that aren't out yet...

or maybe a prototype coolit tec cooling system, like they showed at computex etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:10 am 
Million Club
Million Club

My idea of a dream machine: (using only parts that have been released)
2x 8800Ultras (overclocked, of course)
QX6850 (they're out... Just hard to find)
Asus Striker Extreme motherboard
4 1TB Hitachi drives in Raid 0
Some sort of phase-change CPU cooler
lots of extras

And Murph, there'd better be a penguin on that thing!!:lol:!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

ravenhawk82 wrote:
My idea of a dream machine: (using only parts that have been released)
2x 8800Ultras (overclocked, of course)
QX6850 (they're out... Just hard to find)
Asus Striker Extreme motherboard
4 1TB Hitachi drives in Raid 0
Some sort of phase-change CPU cooler
lots of extras

And Murph, there'd better be a penguin on that thing!!:lol:!!

Ooh. So close. Unfortunately, all we had in the labs were harp seal pups. Penguins get so fussy when shipped...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Told you not to send them back. How bout a Tux sticker if you can't get a real one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:36 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I just checked themail to find THE NEW ISSUE, and after thorough examination, I didn't see a penguin. I'm suing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

ravenhawk82 wrote:
I just checked themail to find THE NEW ISSUE, and after thorough examination, I didn't see a penguin. I'm suing.

No penguin??!!! I thought you would water cool one, and maybe have it run to power the computer, or waddle more like it! I'm canceling my subscription. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:26 pm 

I got the Spetember issue. I can't believe ow off i was. And I can't believe that there isn't a Penryn proc in it!!!

I was close about the video, HDD, PSU, cooling, optical, and Case though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 pm 

Can u list the components they picked?
I am interested in which Optical drive was chosen.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:32 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

amdmaxx wrote:
Can u list the components they picked?
I am interested in which Optical drive was chosen.
Thanks.

Hey, go buy the magazine like the rest of us did to find that out. :P