Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which version of linux for folding?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:34 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have a couple of older machine I want to put online as folder only and I thought about tinkering with linux. What is best version of linux to install on some older machines that will be used for folding only? I am proficient in windows but this will be my first stab at linux. Is ther a point advantage to folding under linux vs. windows 2000 running as a service? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:40 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I've had great success with Ubuntu 6.06 and lately 6.10
Others have mentioned Suse and Fedora Core.

For Ubuntu it's dirt simple, download the ISO for your CPU here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it. It will load the Live version and on that desktop will be an 'Install' icon. Double-click on it and follow the prompts.

There are other, more in-depth instructions on getting it folding
here in the forums.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:13 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

I used to use Mandrake(Mandriva) but now I'm all about Ubuntu as is the case with many of the people here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:22 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

I'm using Sabayon a version of Gentoo. Gentoo has a Folding package in emerge. But I admit I really like the eye candy of glx and it comes set up in Sabayon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:57 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

I personally use Arch Linux and Gentoo (source build, not that binary substitute). I wouldn't recommend either one to someone new to linux, but if you know your way around and are willing to spend some time getting the system up (i.e. know the CLI), I'd recommend at least trying one of the two..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:16 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Linux is a great OS to fold on...

My Debian box has been folding for over 2 years now, 24/7. The current uptime is over 57 days. :-D

If it's going to be a dedicated folding rig, there are things you can do to improve performance...

1. Set up FAH as a service that runs on boot. A how-to can be found here:
http://www.techreport.com/etc/folding/#Linux

2. Disable the GUI. In Debian this is as easy as changing the default runlevel in /etc/inittab. However, Ubuntu doesn't have this file, and apparently Ubuntu doesn't allow for runlevels other than 0,1,2, and 6, none of which are in command-line mode. If you're interested in this, have a look at the "Server" version of Ubuntu. I can guarantee you that you will see a performance increase running without a GUI.

3. If you know how to SSH, which is pretty dirt simple, you can do all kind of power saving techniques such as removing the video card, disabling USB, Parallel, Audio, unused IDE and SATA controllers, etc. I've got my Debian box using less than 100 watts total, some day I'm going to buy a Kill-A-Watt meter. :-P

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i fold on a machine with Red Hat Entrepise Linux Server 4.4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:07 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks guys for the input. I think I will go to Barnes & Nobles ang get a Linux book for some weekend reading. It has been a while since I used a comand line interface. I used be the lan admin. for a Novell netware network. But that has been a few years, Windows 95 was new and I hated it. The server version of ubuntu sound interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:02 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Another good source for Linux info is a PodCast called Linux Reality. It's a great PodCast that is geared more to the newer Linux users. Go to LinuxReality.com for more info.

-yonton228/timmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:10 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

If you want diskless and plan on 24/7 dedicated folding....

Folding CD generator

Just type in your username and team 11108 then download and burn the .iso image to disk. No hard drive needed, all it does is run and fold outputting the log to the display.

It doesn't get any easier, although you have little control over the config.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:30 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

For a lean and mean Linux install you could go with a minimal Slackware install. Maybe not the most noob friendly distro, but certainly not impossible either. And very tweakable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:17 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I wish I could get some numbers to quantify this. Are we talking about a 1% increase in folding time on XX WU, or 10%?

Same with power savings - are we talking about saving 5 watts a day (why bother worrying about it then?), or 50 watts per hour saved (which would be very nice)?

Any hard numbers available?

Also, rabscuttle, how do you get power that far out in the bush? I was looking at a recent map of AK, which even showed Adak Is. (thanks to the civilians on it now, I guess), but you were NOT on it!

Egad! I've been out-bushed??!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Adak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:30 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

I'll second the vote for Ubuntu Server 6.06. Works great, VERY small system footprint (one of mine has a mere 4GB :P HDD, which still has about 3 GB free.)
Only needed additional s/w: SSH server (so I can remote them), Samba server (so I can monitor them with FahMon), NTP server (so their clocks update regularly, rather than just on boot), and that's about it.
And, grabbed Putty (non-installing SSH client for Windows) to remote into them with from my XP desktop & laptop.

I tossed FAHRemote on the folders (I'm running 3 under Ubuntu) recently, so I can have a peek at 'em from outside the house.

Uptime is great on them - my original was up for about 90 days - only shutdown or restart was from a power outage. Try keeping a Windows box up that long! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:45 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Adak wrote:
I wish I could get some numbers to quantify this. Are we talking about a 1% increase in folding time on XX WU, or 10%?

Same with power savings - are we talking about saving 5 watts a day (why bother worrying about it then?), or 50 watts per hour saved (which would be very nice)?

Any hard numbers available?

Adak

As far as my Slackware suggestion, I wasn't thinking of power savings. If you can turn off as many services as you can (including X) - ie a server type installation - that just means more cpu cycles for folding. And no, I don't have any hard numbers to back this up.

Quote:
Also, rabscuttle, how do you get power that far out in the bush? I was looking at a recent map of AK, which even showed Adak Is. (thanks to the civilians on it now, I guess), but you were NOT on it!

Egad! I've been out-bushed??!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We get power the old fashioned way, diesel generators! You need a fairly detailed map of Alaska for it to show us. And we're the biggest town in this area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Belboz99 wrote:

My Debian box has been folding for over 2 years now, 24/7. The current uptime is over 57 days. :-D

It's not linux, but just to prove what a Windows box can do in terms of uptime...

Athlon power

yes, it's my tortoise, but that little Gateway box has been going 24/7 since I got it in 2001...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:28 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Opterongeek wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:

It's not linux, but just to prove what a Windows box can do in terms of uptime...

Athlon power

yes, it's my tortoise, but that little Gateway box has been going 24/7 since I got it in 2001...

I'm not doubting that Windows can run for a long time before rebooting. The issue is that as you use the machine it's performance starts to degrade. R2WBen can attest to that.

Anyone with a Windows box can see that for themselves. Run a Windows box for 2 weeks, check the time / frame on the WU, then reboot and check again.

Of course, MS makes it very difficult to keep a machine running that long as well. Between system updates and driver updates and any new software, Windows asks to be rebooted all the time. And if you don't reboot it yourself it will do it for you. :roll:

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Not that I like hijacking threads, but that system is running just as fast as it was when I started it. Probably because I don't load it down with bullschnoz...

Linux bloat is worse than Windoze bloat in some cases too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:25 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Opterongeek wrote:
Linux bloat is worse than Windoze bloat in some cases too.

I've been using Linux for over 2 years, and never have I or any of my Linux using friends ever dreamed of using the term "linux bloat".

The only "bloat" on Linux are features enabled in the kernel that don't need to be, but generally this has neglegable affect on performance.

And as I stated earlier, if you actually use the machine for anything, gaming, web-surfing, anything, it's performace will degrade over time. Windows manages RAM and hard drive space entirely differently than Linux does.

Have you ever heard of a Linux user defragging a hard drive for example?

The last time I ran Windows for more than a week it took over 5 minutes to shut down. :lol:

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I rest my case. ;)