Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alienware has some 'splaining to do
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:07 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

Alienware's on-site warranty has now left much to be desired as far as my law-firm is concerned.

Our mobo and/or processor is dead. I suspect it's the processor because when we removed the heatsink, we had chunky, dried-up "insulation" to scrape off the bottom of the heatsink. Nothing was even on the processor; the putty just was stuck to the base of the heatsink. I don't know what they were using for thermal paste, but I can assure you it wasn't transferring any heat.

Getting the promised on-site service involved over an hour of troubleshooting that made even Dell's low-level tech support nitwits look like hardcore PC gurus. The only thing Alienware's phone support tech knew how to do was read from a script. We doubt he could actually figure out how to even open a computer case on his own. Trust me, troubleshooting a dead mobo or processor should take no more than 5 minutes. If the thing is receiving power but doesn't beep, that's a really big clue something's amiss with the mobo or processor. Why they had my computer guy on the phone for over an hour is beyond belief.

Now, here's the kicker. Alieware insisted on a credit card security so they can 1) arrange to ship the replacement parts to us and 2) THEN schedule on-site service once we have the part. Hello? What ever happened to next-day on-site service? No, next-day is something Dell offers, I just got "on-site service when we get around to it" from Alienware. They also gave my in-house computer tech a hard time about shipping both a motherboard and a processor. They only wanted to ship out the motherboard first, saying that they'd ship the processor if their tech found out that the processor is dead. I suppose the word "downtime" doens't have any meaning to Alienware.

With Dell, getting them to send a technician is indeed a bit of a hassle, but once they agree to do it, they do it-- and then send the technician with the part. No credit-card-nonsense required.

Until Alienware revamps their warranty service policies (or explains that something was horribly amiss with my office's incident), I'll refrain from buying further systems from them. I'd love to know what was up with the silly putty they used for thermal paste too.

-Six

P.S. Yes, I know Alienware was acquired by Dell, but they are still separate for things like warranty service.

Last edited by Number Six on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:02 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

here is my kicker

It may seem surprising to you but I have a bone to pick with one of the vendors that advertises in max pc magazine! I purchased an alienware area 51 3500. This had a Pentium 4 processor, 1 gigabyte of memory and ATIs radeon X700 pro. It got shipped to me in fine condition (on the outside :x ) with everything I asked for. When I started the computer up during startup I got a CPU fan error. After a couple minutes after I had turned it off. I took off the access panel and had a look inside. I was amazed to see that a wire was in the damn CPU fan causing the processor to overheat and cause an automatic shutdown. I think their bundle wiring that they do inside is fine but they say have "Alien wiring" that costs ninety nine dollars and I think that that is a bunch of BS. Number two is that they say that they have an expert technician inspect the darn computer. They also call this second piece of sincere BS "Alien inspection". Those were only the first of my problems. Next, after I tie wrapped all this loose wiring that was hanging around pulling the wire out of the fan, I started to use it. After a few days when I turned on my computer and it booted up just fine. When I tried to log on after I clicked the user icon my Apple Cinema 20 inch display which I had hooked up to the Radon's DVI output blanked out. I tried restarting the computer but it still had the same problem. I had a nagging suspicion that it could be thermal so I turned it off, waited ten minutes, and tried again. Miraculously it logged in fine. But there was a big problem. Since windows crashes so often I would have to restart my computer to clear them up. Then I couldn't use it for 10 minutes. I tried using their tech chat to see if they could tell me how to fix it. All the things that they told me to do failed. Those where 1. reinstalling ATI's driver 2. Reseating the video card and 3. Ask apple if any of their cinema displays had had this problem. I didn't talk to apple. Instead I put it on a friends computer and it worked flawlessly. After this they asked me to send back my radeon for another one. I sent for the new radeon and seated it into the pci slot that the other one had previously ocupied. I started it up to be welcomed by the same godamned problem. After this (since I didn't have any important information on my computer yet) I used their boot disk to format windows. After that the problem persisted still. After that I suspect bad software for the radeon on the boot disk and on the computer when it arrived. After all this I downloaded ATIs sniffer program that removes all ATI related drivers and hardware from your computer. After running it I downloaded the driver for the radeon off ATIs official web site and installed it. Thank god that it doesn't blank out when I try to log in. It only blanks out after I play a full screen game for over twenty minutes. And I do love to play those games dangit! They even claim that they burn in their computers in a hot room! That would have exposed both problems. I suspect fly by night. They say they are going through a complex proccess to insure that you system operates at top performance. I think that they build it in one day, turn it on (just to see if it turns on) and turn it off, store it in a dark room while they tell you about the steps that they are going through. Fuck those Alienware people. They should give me the best computer they can deliver to me for free that doesn't have any problems at all for all the trouble that they have given me. I will never recomend them for their terrible wiring, software problems, and awful tech support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Spacegy4 wrote:

If you learned to use paragraphs people would be much more inclined to read what you have to say, just a tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:30 pm 

My post in this matter was when--- June 6?

Supposedly it took Alienware more than a week to ship out the replacement parts. Yesterday, June 14 they were shipped out. Why it took them more than a week to send out the parts, rather than the next day or heaven-forbid, 48 hours, is crazy.

They are supposed to be received by us tomorrow. Once we confirm we have them, we call them up for them to schedule a tech to come and install it.

This is pretty much insane, IMNSHO.

-Six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:37 pm 
Stewie Federation (2 Million)
Stewie Federation (2 Million)

spacyg4 i think the mobo is a little whacked then. if u switche dthe card, reinstalled drivers, verified the monitor is good then its gotta be the board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:38 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
Wow six... thats why I build and fix my own... if something breaks under warranty on an OEM box, I will call the company and tell them I am a computer techfixing it and most cases they send it out pretty quick. that is the ONLY nice thing I can say about emachines, took their replacement psu 3 days to get here from cross country. Dell took 4 days for a replacement hard drive. BFG took 3 days for advanced replacement video card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

StimpE wrote:
spacyg4 i think the mobo is a little whacked then. if u switche dthe card, reinstalled drivers, verified the monitor is good then its gotta be the board

ive been off for a while so im responding now

i have it all fixed

yet i fried my card trying to liquid cool it with a 1/2 waterblock on a 3/8 system
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:47 am 

It's now 6/28/06, and we still haven't had the onsite repair service, despite receiving the mobo & CPU twelve days ago on 6/16.

My computer guy has made two phone calls, 6/20 & 6/22, each time he was told the onsite service tech would call us "within 48 hours". The onsite ppl never called, nor has anyone shown up.

Sigh.

-Six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:52 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

its no coincidence that all of their techs are from foerign countries

"have a good day mam" :shock:

on a different note:

there is this great paradoy of tech support at www.homestarrunner.com

go to the sb email section at bottom and pick the one called isp

its very funny

im using a slow connection and comp wont run flash so i cant provide a link sry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:56 am 

Alienware is basically just lying to us at this point.

On 6/20, they lied to us about receiving a call back within 48 hours.

On 6/22, they lied to us about receiving a call back within 48 hours.

On 6/28, they lied to us about receiving a call from the onsite service who would schedule service for us either today or tomorrow. The onsite service did call (finally -- at 11:15AM (we were lied to when they said he'd call us by 11:00AM)), but said that there was no way they would come here by tomorrow.

At this point, I'm stuck with a pack of lies and a broken computer and no hope of getting it repaired.

-Six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:23 pm 

NumberSix: I feel your pain. My AW computer is stretched out over two rooms waiting for parts. My piece-o-crap is at least out of warranty...

Have you posted on resellerratings.com yet?

That is one of the few things that will motivate them to do what they ought to do...bad press/ratings report there will speed things up.

Luck, and all that

JW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:56 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
23 days and nothing? holy s$!t.... I would demand my money back and the same money put towards a similar system, but opposing cpu/board...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:11 pm 

It's a good thing I wasn't planning on bringing the Alienware to the LAN party, because I don't think it will be fixed by then.

And it's a good thing that Alienware won't be there, or I'd be tempted to throw heatsinks at them... BTX heatsinks!

-[Ch]ams

Post subject: Here's something to cheer you up...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:18 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Just wanted to say: "There is light at the end of the tunnel.." Hopefully things will work out for the best. I know I'd be very upset if a company lied to me about their service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 am 
Northwood
Northwood

I have 2 words to mention: Law Suit. End of story. Record the conversations, get confirmation numbers, do whatever u have to, and then warn them verbally and in writing. They'll get their crap together immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:26 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Number Six wrote:
Alienware is basically just lying to us at this point.

On 6/20, they lied to us about receiving a call back within 48 hours.

I recently had a similar problem with HP, though not as bad. I agreed to fix a friend's laptop which had a broken power adapter connector. HP told me on Monday it was covered under the next business day on-site repair warranty. On Thursday (three days) they call and say they have a new MOBO. I tried to set up an appointment for the next day (fourth day) but they were booked up. How about Saturday or Sunday? (sorry those aren't "business days"). Finally, I was able to get a new MOBO installed on Monday (seventh day). So much for "one business day" warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:14 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I was hit by lightning and my comp suffered some damaged components. So I called my tech. (me) and he said that I'd get an upgrade to AM2 for a minimal cost. The next day the parts were in and by 6 P.M. my tech (me) had installed the parts and the OS. It took another three hours to perfect the drivers and run through every benchmark known to man (my inspection) and confirm a working PC.

Stop paying for companies to build PCs. I know there is a ~16 yr. old that is as anal as I am about cooling, reliability and the such that would love to help you guys out.

That totally sucks and now that Alienware has slapped up Chams, I will NEVER EVER even think about recommending Alienware to anyone.

Perhaps Max PC could purchase a PC as a regular person. It would make for an interesting story if their comp was any worse than what I've read.