Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ALIENWARE IS A JOKE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:39 pm 

I don't know if this will help at all, but i am getting no where with Alienware.
I just bought my first Alienware PC. Normally i build my own, but i own a studio and sound company and simple don't have time i have been out on tour since December. My PC was received in the middle of December. I was not back home untill January 10th. My wife received the box(s)
Upon opening and setting up the PC i was very dissapointed. There was rattling in the tower, where i found 4 drive mounting screws rolling around loose. Yes one was from one of the SATA drives. No huge deal, but not acceptable for the cost of these supposed high end systems.
Now for the kicker! I ordered Microsoft Office 2003 small business edition, with the system. The Software physically was NOWHERE to be found, nor was it loaded on the machine.
I called, and called, and emailed. Finally got a response by a CSR who told there was nothing that could be done about it, because it too long of a period since i receieved. I WAS NOT told about this upon ordering, it was not clear and it is BS!!!!!!!! He was nice and told me how to escalate it. I did, i have gotten nowhere. They will not budge. At this point, i am going to have my attorny send them something and i have started a campaign on Myspace and elsewhere. This is unacceptable. I don't know if anyone else has had ill dealings with Alienware, but i will never EVER buy from them again.
If anyone has any help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Vemondi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:26 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

It's too bad you didn't drop by these boards before you made your purchase, we might have been able to change your mind with a few posts from the people that said the same thing:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 798#184798
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 3808#13808
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 588#363588
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 789#341789
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 703#287703
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 046#228046
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 306#190306
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtop ... 1930#61930

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:26 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

*sigh* I get a major sense of deja vu reading all these time after time... The sad thing is, most of the people I go to school with still hold Alienware in extremely high esteem even though they no longer deserve such high standings, and very often I'm forced to explain just what they'd be getting involved with with their prospective purchase.

Well, hope things work out for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

willah wrote:
The sad thing is, most of the people I go to school with still hold Alienware in extremely high esteem even though they no longer deserve such high standings

True, I gave this guy my MPC issue (to look at) and he was amazed by the alienware ad the the mag, he showed it to all his friends, and I was looking at the ad and I wasn't amazed at the ad. Just another advertisement...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:37 pm 

Hey everyone Thanks for the replies. I sort of expected that. Normally i research things very close, but as my business demands exploded the last year i just didn't have time. I TOO had see the ads heard the buzz, blah, blah,blah.
They have completely stopped responding to me now. So i am out my $400 or whatever it was of software.It makes me so mad i built a PC for the mastering studio last spring, wicked fast, almost the same specs for like ugh, SO much less $$$. So i learned a lesson, hell i would have been better off with Dell. I don't know how everyone feels about Dell around here, i have not had problems with them.
I also meant to tell everyone Hello i am new too. I was and am just so burnt i needed to let go. A good friend who is an IT professional turned me on to you.
This is a great place i will be visiting frequently!
Not to go back to it, just an FYi even the case is a piece of plastic cheap crap.
It is stupid huge and it looks so crappy compared to the pictures. I think i will end up buying another sonota case and transplanting it. I hope the actual guts of the system are okay. It is an Intel board. Doesn't seem like anything is propriatory.
NEVER EVER BUY ALIENWARE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:16 pm 

vemondi wrote:
It makes me so mad i built a PC for the mastering studio last spring, wicked fast,

You're using a PC in a Mastering Studio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:35 am 

Yeah, Crazy huh? years ago when we were a tiny almost hobby level thing a friend gave me a copy of Cakewalk Pro Audio, i had no money then and starting using it and building a faster PC etc. To make a very long story short the hobby turned into a lucrative business very quick and we had too much invested in PC's and software to switch to APPLE. So here today we Run Cakewalks Sonar 5 Producer Edition & Sony Medias Sound Forge 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:11 pm 

and you can do all the PQ coding and IDing with those two programs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:07 pm 

Hey Flytrap7,
Mis communication here. I have been so flustered by Alienware, i must not be typing very clearly. We do multi-track audio recording and mastering for CD production for bands. Sorry for the cofusion.
Alienware still sucks, i got my 6th email with practically the same response. They just don't listen or care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:22 pm 

vemondi wrote:
We do multi-track audio recording and mastering for CD production for bands.

That's what I was asking about.

I do mastering work in a commercial recording studio here in NY on occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:03 pm 

Flytrap, you get to do the real stuff. I am talking unsigned demo stuff. We do all the recording, mixing, and mastering here........most of the time. we have had a couple of projects we send out for mastering. But i do think CD architect which is part of Sound, but seperate program can do at least some of that. What do you use, is it all Apple based?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:53 pm 

You'd be surprised what consitutes as 'real'.

Along with the unsigned artists, we also have people who want to market themselves as voice actors doing demo CDs, people coming in to record radio skits, children's choirs, or even just a simple format conversion.

We have a lot people who come in with a handful of 1/4" tapes with recordings their families made decades ago that they'd like on CD. Did a lot of tape baking on those defective batches of Ampex/Quantegy tape too.

The mastering room where I work has a 1/2" Studer, 1/2" Otari that's currently possessed by Satan, a 1/4" Otari, a Marantz rack mounted CD player and cassette deck, and a DAT machine all plugged into a Maselec MTC-2 Mastering Console, which has got two EQ's (HSE Labs, and a Massive Passive), and two compressors (PrismSound, and a Variable Mu) which feed a Sonic Solutions HD rig powered by a dual G4 PowerMac. It's a sweet setup and if I ever decide to open up my own mastering studio to finish what a lot of people seem to be starting on their mBoxes and Digi002s, I'd definitely get most of the same equipment. The Maselec console alone is really badass for making the slightest adjustments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:02 am 

Flytrap, sounds real sweet. Its been cool chating, but i think we are getting off topic for the fourm, don't want to pee anyone off. Do take part in any of the pro-audio fourms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 pm 

I used to lurk around rec.audio and rec.audio.pro overin usenet because a few of my favorite engineers used to post of there but I haven't been there in ages.

vemondi wrote:
i think we are getting off topic for the fourm, don't want to pee anyone off.

Don't worry about it, I see thread hyjacks all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:20 pm 

Thats cool, hey have you checked our www.prosoundweb.com I am in the live sound area alot. Thats the 2nd part to our business, hence my being away and not getting to touch my new overpriced oversized Alienware piece of plastic crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:30 pm 

I went over there once or twice because Fletcher started posting over there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:52 am 

WELL let's add Medion Computers to this NOW growing list of FALSE Promises.
and broken computer dreams. (FYI: Their website is located at http://www.medionusa.com ). VOICE your reactions to the broken promises all
these boutque computer makers are giving us.

Just a memory, and it's starting to seem like reality. ALOT of us were broken hearted by Compaq, NOW it seem quite a few computer makers are following in Compaq's footsteps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:02 am 
Klamath
Klamath

here is my experience w/ alienware and their POS area51 notebook:

when i first got it, it felt like a dream come true.... every1 said that i couldnt have a gaming notebook... well i got it and i couldnt be happier

when i first started playing on it (w/ FEAR) it started shutting off by itself, but i wrote this off to chance or overheating

fast forward a week... my lcd suddenly goes blank... ok, to say i was upset would b an understatement.... but i collected myself and thought of what i could do.... i realized that if i put a flashlight to the screen i could read it

i call the bastards at tech support and they tell me that the lcd inverter (or something like that) must be messed up... so, i sent it back for repair and they tell me they are sending it back soon

after waiting who knows how many days, i call them back to check my status... and they tell me that my part is on back order and i would have to wait another week

i get it back and finally start gaming again (City of Heroes, Fear, Call of Duty)

next i start getting BLUE SCREENS??!?!!!! I am on the phone w/ tech support for (no lie) 9 days trying to fix my problem ... i uninstalled drivers, reinstalled them, ran EVERY stess test known to man (testing my cpu, graphics card), even tested out my memory

all tests passed.... they couldnt figure it out... so they told me reinstall windows and all your drivers

after that things just got worse... i couldnt even install games and just for fun, my comp would randomly crash

they were convinced that the blue screens i was getting were hardware issues related to the memory... but no test proved this

after 2 separate hardware problems, after having it less than a month, i gave up on day 30 of the 30 day return policy (by luck...seriously), and I told them I wanted to return it

for added fun... they charged a "restocking fee" for their faulty product

a friend of mine also got an alienware laptop and it is just horrible... crashing all the time

lesson to be learned DONT BUY ALIENWARE (at least not the laptops)

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:16 pm 

heh, everyone I have talked to seems to think alienware is the greatest ever. even my dad believes they are the best PC maker, i have never had one but with all the negative reviews I hear on various forums i think iw ill just be building my next PC by myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:35 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

did any1 else notice that in this months issue they gave the Alienware Area51 laptop a 9/10 !!!:evil:

wtf? how much are these guys getting paid to review this laptop :wink:

seriously... why is it that all the companies that review these computers say they are 'uber'... and all the users say they suck?