Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alienware sucks
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:18 pm 

I'll never buy an Alienware PC again. PC isn't bad...but:

Customer Support -Grade F

Tech Support- Grade F

Oh- their warranty states that they will send a PC tech to your home if you cannot resolve the issue over the phone....IF..

You are willing to take your PC apart piece by piece and be a tech yourself and have an alienware rep read from a book and totally give you stupid advice and knows nothing about the PC...BAD BAD COMPANY

Yes I wish I could have built my own but did not have cash on hand and had to finance...next time I build or go with Falcon NW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

now this is the first bad alienware story about customer support

Now i know alienware sux cuz when i bought this PC, i compared to an alienware, and it cost 600 bux more, and it had half the ram and half the video card and half the freaking hd space!

now... DAMN what the hell is that?!?!

but from what i hear ALienware is 50000000% better than HP and Dell and Compaq combined... well, that isnt saying much.... but i still herd it was good. sorry to hear ya unfortunate event :/

ps: I made the same mistake with buying this PC from Best Buy. i coulda saved 500 bux to get a haul-ass SLI setup, but since the guy at Best buy totally knew more about computers than me (at the time, yes) he suggested my ATI Radeon 9800 instead of two nVidia blah blahs.

Word of advice: BUILD YOUR OWN COMPUTER! MAX PC CAN HELP YOU FIND PARTS!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:58 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Alienware has never been a great company, well maybe when they started up, but its been downhill ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

you think Alianware is bad, Try DELL. I try to call them for replacement harddrive, and Automated phone service routed me to India and had me talking to a guy that didn't even know how to speak english properly giving instruction on how to format my busted hard drive.

Oh ya, did i mention the 2 hour i was on hold!?!

the best thing to do is go go to your local computer shop that you trust any buy warrienty services form them. because the large compaies don't give a shit about you after they got your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The best thing is to build your own PC and get service from a local (EMPHASIS ON LOCAL) computer shop. Or Max PC :D

Because, unlike major corporations, when you walk in the door (well, corps dont have doors... they have a giant telephone hub pointed at India) they say "hi, can i help you with anything today?"
not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:14 pm 

phoenix2099 wrote:
you think Alianware is bad, Try DELL. I try to call them for replacement harddrive, and Automated phone service routed me to India and had me talking to a guy that didn't even know how to speak english properly giving instruction on how to format my busted hard drive.

Oh ya, did i mention the 2 hour i was on hold!?!

the best thing to do is go go to your local computer shop that you trust any buy warrienty services form them. because the large compaies don't give a shit about you after they got your money.

try emailing them i got a reply min after i sent it and the tec will be here tomarow ( 2 days after)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

My friend's laptop was 1500 bux. 64 mb video card, 2 ghz processor. didnt check his hd space or ram but he had a dvd Reader/CDRW drive.

i dont think it is worth 1500 bux at all, but it was about 10 inches wide and 8 inches tall. It was a kickass case, but not anything worth gaming for. I'd value that laptop at around 1000 bux. but since its alienware name, it cost him 1500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:24 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Alienware is a rip off. And their "Why buy Alienware" and not build your own section of their website is downright hilarious at times. Everything is absolute worst case scenario never happens in real life stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:36 pm 

I worked for one of them (I cannot say which and I can’t give too many details or I’ll be in breach of contract) and will try to put my 2 cents.

The problem lies in the fact that you have people that can do business and don’t know squat about computers and some are the other way around. A visionary might be both business man and a savvy tech and the company prospers but soon management gets filled with:

• People who only care about the bottom line because they don’t know about computers.
• People who know about them but are under pressure from those who don’t to perform and make numbers and meet quotas as far as production.
• The third kind the worst lot those who can do business and THINK they know what they are doing and push others to perform at unrealistic expectations.

These people loose grip on reality do to sheer greed or necessity, and later start condemning their company, hiring customer service reps who don’t know squat to cut costs. Followed by getting a scapegoat firing him getting some knowledgeable service tech or again cost cutting and sending support to India (very popular these days, and to think we loose jobs to people who can barely speak English). So to sum up these companies work on sometimes (if not all the time) the needs of their management. If it is in the interest of the management for you to get good customer service, then you got lucky, if not sucks to be you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Don't even get me started on that outsourcing BS. Had an old comp that finally crapped out on us a few years ago, and had to get a new one. My dad insisted on Dell becasue "everybody at work has one, and they are great." We call them up(and get some dink from Panama, ####### PANAMA!) and ask for something that could handle games. My mom is a penny pincher, so we chose a 4600 w/256 ram, 40gb HD, 2.8 P4, and an FX5200. We asked Mr. Panama if it would be good for gaming (didn't know much about comp stuff back then), and says "it is very good for gaming." When we got it it was missing the 5200 and instead it had "Intel Integrated Extreme Graphics" in it. By the time I started putting games on it, the 90 day warranty was up, and the damn thing could barely run Counter Strike. An upgrade to 512 mem helped, but considering all the stuff to replace and add, I'd be better off building my own system. Which I am.

Not to mention we paid over $1100 for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
• People who only care about the bottom line because they don’t know about computers.
• People who know about them but are under pressure from those who don’t to perform and make numbers and meet quotas as far as production.
• The third kind the worst lot those who can do business and THINK they know what they are doing and push others to perform at unrealistic expectations.

Hallujuah!!! Preach on!!
Quote:
Followed by getting a scapegoat firing him getting some knowledgeable service tech or again cost cutting and sending support to India (very popular these days

Amen brother!!!!

You could have worked with me I swear. I could have worte that post word for word.
And for the record there not techs on the phone in india there flowchart readers-and they screw that up too.
Most of the "techs" these guys have working for them couldn't fix a cup of joe much less a computer, they just replace parts the that the flowchart guy told them too.... Once i seen a tech replace a Ps, mobo, cpu, and a harddrive trying to get a box up come to find out the Powerstrip had a bad plug..... Can we say "diag"?

Come to think of it we are just gloified appliance repair men. except we dont have the mandatory 3in of asscrack when we drop our screwdriver =)