Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCD No picture, High pitched noise
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:48 am 

Hi,

I have been using an older insignia NS-LCD32-09 TV as a secondary monitor for some games and movies on my PC. Recently the picture had just completely gone out (I receive a black screen with no flickering or picture at all). When I power the TV on there is a high pitched noise that emits (not from the speakers). I took the back panel off and it seams to be coming from one of the circuit boards. I would like to try to repair this, but I do not have much experience with TV's and it is no longer under warranty. I am hoping I can buy a replacement board for this and install it for an easy fix. I have tried a different power cable and outlet, and still the same result. If anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong with this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

- Gannon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:32 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would take it to a TV repair shop and have them do it. I don't think you could buy a new circuit board from the manufacture. They have authorized repair shops they sell to because they know when the TV leaves the shop it is done right and they don't have to deal with someone that fries the board and complains to them about it, wanting their money back.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:14 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If this is the board here: http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalog/product/view/id/169995

It is pretty pricey. You could by a new monitor for a few $$$ more. That TV did not have the greatest reviews either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm 

Yea that looks like the board. I have been doing some research online and it seams like the inverter board is bad based on what I have read. They run at around $50-$80, but I'm kinda scared to invest that in something im not 100% sure will work.

Thanks for the replies, I have to think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:15 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

What you're describing (blank screen, high-pitched whine from display) says that it is, most likely, a fault inverter.
Smaller possibilty: faulty backlight tubes. But, most likely, a dead inverter.

Want to make sure that the display itself is working, and that it's just a backlighting (inverter or tubes) issue? Grab a flashlight, and use it to 'front-light' the display. You should be able to see (when your eyes and the flashlght are at the 'right' angles to the display) an image (albeit faint.)
See something? Backlighting (or, lack thereof) is the issue.

Me, if I'm fairly happy with the display, $50 for an inverter that will most likely fix it is a good decision.
Of course, it's your money, not mine.