Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ubisoft is on my sh*t list again
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Played the Far Cry 2 game last Saturday. Had a good time.
Went to play it on Sunday and it downloaded a new 'patch'. Now it says I need to activate the game. Not REACTIVATE, ACTIVATE. Like I never had it activated in the first place.
I can't reactivate online. I can't manually reactivate. I can't revoke the installation. I can't revoke using the revoke tool they have that you download to revoke the installation for you.
And they haven't responded to the email I sent to them to reactivate this game for the sixth time on the same machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:18 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM. Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:39 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ubi hasn't responded to many...or any...as far as I know. Not with reality anyway.

I'm a LoMac player, and have a record of playing it. I can't play now via the UBI update. So I call as a consumer, and I have to verify my copy is legit. The battle of logic pretty much start at "how do I do that?" There's no way.

Have the Disc in, run the game, it should work. It don't. It's asking for CD1, I have CD1 in, and it's of no help. Screw it, I won't fly that bird MP today.

But now you state you can't play FarCry2? I try, and then I see I need the update. I update...no way I can play!

I'm just thinking that I need to fire up Silent Hunter 1, 2, or 3 and see if any work...but my hopes aren't high. I can't even connect to a server.

We're not thieves, I've been playing these games as a ritual. What's with the new validation I can't pass? Send me a receipt scanner, and I'll still be denied ability to play these games online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:51 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

you'll have to pay for the receipt scanner first. :evil: Gawd I hate this stupid BS. screw the RIAA, screw everything. It gets down to one point:
I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE GAME I PAID FOR!!!! Is that too much to ask now? Do they have to screw everyone over just in order to try and stop some hackers who get around it anyways and wouldn't buy it if they didn't get it free anyways? Oh, I guess you'll just have to buy a new copy of the game- and get screwed over again when you change something. I'm sure the company execs are just overjoyed by all this. That's a great idea! that way twice as many people get twice as pissed off, but we still make twice as much money! that's good business in my book!
/rant
btw, I don't hate rich people, I just have a serious problem with those who make their living by screwing other people over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:03 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

It only took them a week but I'm playing again. Until the next time. And there WILL be a next time.
On a side note: EA has DRM that is almost as bad. Had Crysis Warhead ask for reactivation. When I tried to reactivate, I got a message telling me I needed to buy a new key as I had exceeded the number of allowed installs.
At least the Support guys got back to me in one day instead of a week. Warhead was reactivated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

It's because of crap like this that I went to console gaming. Unfortunately I found that to be a hollow and unfulfilling experience and am back to PC gaming.

One thing I can say at least Steam got their heads outta their butts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 pm 

When I heard that Ubisoft had bought out Sunflowers, I knew some bad shit would go down. I bought 1701 AD & bared witness to my first install limitation.

It immidiately brought to mind on fan letters & their responces from Games For Windows & Maximim PC about how the DRM was actually INCREASING piracy because the people who download the game discover that the DRM has already been removed & that only the PAYING customers are being punished for purchasing legitimate copies. DRM fails so hard.