Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help on A+ exam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

im taking my A+ exam next thursday and i was wondering what were some core question they are going to ask?
ive been studying my ass off for 3 weeks but you cant memorize the book.
and is there a easier way to rember everything like , socket types, printer print order, boot order, post beeps. and w/e you can think of that might help me.
but most important core questions!
thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: help on A+ exam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:04 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

oriental-monkey wrote:
im taking my A+ exam next thursday and i was wondering what were some core question they are going to ask?
and is there a easier way to rember everything like , socket types, printer print order, boot order, post beeps. and w/e you can think of that might help me.
thank you in advance.

There aren't any real core questions. There are a number of questions pertaining to different topics relating to CompTIA's A+ exam objectives. The questions are more than likely chosen at random for your test. We can't really say that you'll see more questions for a given topic versus another.

Everyone has their own memorization techniques. Personally, I use the crude method of ingraining in my brain by reading it over and over again, taking a break, and then reading it some more. If what you're reading pertains to actually doing something. doing it is the best way to learn.

I haven't studied for the A+ since early 2005. When I last picked up a study book, there was a lot of focus on things that aren't necessary to know now, unless you land a job working with Pentium II hardware and Windows 98. CompTIA recently gave their exams a much-needed overhaul, so there shouldn't be questions about SCSI terminators, random jumpers, and setting IRQs.

However, the one thing I did figure out was that the A+ isn't very hard. For the most part, if you're comfortable doing average troubleshooting with Windows, can assemble a computer, and diagnose/repair basic hardware issues, then you're pretty well set for the A+.

I thought you wanted to go into Microprocessor Engineering, or something along those lines? Unless the A+ is for personal satisfaction, it won't get you very far in regards to a career. It's not even much of a starting point IMO. Geek Squad loves it, as will various local Mom&Pop shops looking for techs. Also, those tech recruiters (the kind that promise as much work as you can handle as long as you have a car and can work any job at most any hour in a 50+ mile radius). That's what the A+ will get you.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:30 am 
Klamath
Klamath

that Linux guy wrote:
oriental-monkey wrote:
thank you in advance.

There aren't any real core questions. There are a number of questions pertaining to different topics relating to CompTIA's A+ exam objectives. The questions are more than likely chosen at random for your test. We can't really say that you'll see more questions for a given topic versus another.

Everyone has their own memorization techniques. Personally, I use the crude method of ingraining in my brain by reading it over and over again, taking a break, and then reading it some more. If what you're reading pertains to actually doing something. doing it is the best way to learn.

I haven't studied for the A+ since early 2005. When I last picked up a study book, there was a lot of focus on things that aren't necessary to know now, unless you land a job working with Pentium II hardware and Windows 98. CompTIA recently gave their exams a much-needed overhaul, so there shouldn't be questions about SCSI terminators, random jumpers, and setting IRQs.

However, the one thing I did figure out was that the A+ isn't very hard. For the most part, if you're comfortable doing average troubleshooting with Windows, can assemble a computer, and diagnose/repair basic hardware issues, then you're pretty well set for the A+.

I thought you wanted to go into Microprocessor Engineering, or something along those lines? Unless the A+ is for personal satisfaction, it won't get you very far in regards to a career. It's not even much of a starting point IMO. Geek Squad loves it, as will various local Mom&Pop shops looking for techs. Also, those tech recruiters (the kind that promise as much work as you can handle as long as you have a car and can work any job at most any hour in a 50+ mile radius). That's what the A+ will get you.

Just my 2 cents.

thank you so much! ive been studying crazy on irq , and what goes where, and ive been scratching my head over the scsi stuff. can you rember some of the harder question of A+ you rember that would be very helpful.
im taking A+ because i love working with computers and thought it would be a fun summer class to take. and i wish in a couple years ill be all ceritfied for cisco, network, mcse. all that fun stuff. and yes i wish to work at micro center , alot of company look for exprience so durring college ill work there for a while.
my professor who taught the A+ class really influense me into cisco so im heading towards that way. :lol:
linux guy i cant explain how much you have help me, thank you.
all other help would be truly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:13 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

oriental-monkey wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
oriental-monkey wrote:
thank you in advance.

Just my 2 cents.

thank you so much! ive been studying crazy on irq , and what goes where, and ive been scratching my head over the scsi stuff. can you rember some of the harder question of A+ you rember that would be very helpful.
im taking A+ because i love working with computers and thought it would be a fun summer class to take. and i wish in a couple years ill be all ceritfied for cisco, network, mcse. all that fun stuff. and yes i wish to work at micro center , alot of company look for exprience so durring college ill work there for a while.
my professor who taught the A+ class really influense me into cisco so im heading towards that way. :lol:

I didn't think you had to know IRQs or SCSI stuff anymore. SCSI drives are in the oldest of still-running computers, and no one's had to mess with IRQs since Windows XP. Going by your future cert list, it sounds like you're going for Enterprise SysAdmin. If you really are planning for an MCSE, the good thing about the A+ is that it'll help get you a job at Microcenter or Best Buy, and if you couple it with a Network+, it counts as an elective credit for your MCSE (Which requires a total of 7 credits).

When I was studying for the A+, the harder stuff for me were things like binary-to-hexadecimal conversion, IRQs.... stuff like that. There are a number of study guides and practice exams online, so google is definitely your friend here.

Keep us updated on how you're doing and any specific issues you're having. And good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

that Linux guy wrote:
oriental-monkey wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
oriental-monkey wrote:
thank you in advance.

Just my 2 cents.

I didn't think you had to know IRQs or SCSI stuff anymore. SCSI drives are in the oldest of still-running computers, and no one's had to mess with IRQs since Windows XP. Going by your future cert list, it sounds like you're going for Enterprise SysAdmin. If you really are planning for an MCSE, the good thing about the A+ is that it'll help get you a job at Microcenter or Best Buy, and if you couple it with a Network+, it counts as an elective credit for your MCSE (Which requires a total of 7 credits).

When I was studying for the A+, the harder stuff for me were things like binary-to-hexadecimal conversion, IRQs.... stuff like that. There are a number of study guides and practice exams online, so google is definitely your friend here.

Keep us updated on how you're doing and any specific issues you're having. And good luck.

any one else has some exp with thr A+ exam? anything thats certian to be on the test? oh linux guy my teacher taught me a very easy way to do conversions.
just need to rember a couple of number. i think i should make a guide since i see alot of people have problem with it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Don't memorize...in the end that does you no good. I'm certified out my butt, and I've met people with similiar credentials that weren't worth the weight the paper their certification was written on.

What you need to do is, work with the technology, do your studying (of which there is some memorization), but the most important thing is to find some type of self test software. Testout, Examworx, and CompTIA's own resources are very good sources.

This will do two things:

1) Help prepare you to write the test, but seeing it's layout, the style of questions, their structure so that you aren't thrown off. Many people fail their first certification simply because they weren't prepare for he format of the actual test.

2) Help prepare you for the type of technical questions. Most of them are simple, straight answer questions. Of all certifications, the Comptia's are usually the most straight forward. That doesn't make them easy, but if you know your stuff they aren't as ambiguous as what BlackBerry, Microsoft or other vendors are.

Give yourself two weeks to do final prep. Once you realize you are "ready", then schedule or book the test within a two week period. From there do daily simulations, until the last the two or three days you are doing full simulations of 90-100 questions and scoring 85% or better on the selftests.

Mix self-test vendors as well...it's easy to get use to their question base, and you will antitipate answers as opposed to know them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:31 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Wolfmann wrote:
Don't memorize...in the end that does you no good. I'm certified out my butt, and I've met people with similiar credentials that weren't worth the weight the paper their certification was written on.

What you need to do is, work with the technology, do your studying (of which there is some memorization), but the most important thing is to find some type of self test software. Testout, Examworx, and CompTIA's own resources are very good sources.

This will do two things:

1) Help prepare you to write the test, but seeing it's layout, the style of questions, their structure so that you aren't thrown off. Many people fail their first certification simply because they weren't prepare for he format of the actual test.

2) Help prepare you for the type of technical questions. Most of them are simple, straight answer questions. Of all certifications, the Comptia's are usually the most straight forward. That doesn't make them easy, but if you know your stuff they aren't as ambiguous as what BlackBerry, Microsoft or other vendors are.

Give yourself two weeks to do final prep. Once you realize you are "ready", then schedule or book the test within a two week period. From there do daily simulations, until the last the two or three days you are doing full simulations of 90-100 questions and scoring 85% or better on the selftests.

Mix self-test vendors as well...it's easy to get use to their question base, and you will antitipate answers as opposed to know them.

could you post the links to some of the self test you recomend? and what were some question you rember really threw you off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:31 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You could use google to search for them. www.selftestsoftware.com and www.testout.com are two products I've used in the past. You can find alternative download locations as well. ;-)

As for specific questions, I'd like to but there's a number of reason why you shouldn't, the least of which is that it's against the EULA for the cert and comptia could pull certs, but more importantly I don't remember specific one's.

One thing to remember is the questions are straight multiple-choice. The answer is straight forward. You do not need to know detailed items like IRQ's and memory addresses anymore - but do know your way around Windows XP. There are some questions that require you to know how to get to area's in the OS.

Also know your troubleshooting steps and methodologies inside and out. There are 7 or so steps to troubleshooting, and the A+ exam wants you to know them. And know the steps of the laer printing process as well as how to troubleshoot printers.

Other than that, the self test software will help prepare you the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:02 pm 

I am a colossal douche and thought that my first post on the MPC forums should be insulting, sarcastic AND bump a thread that was months old.

Sadly (for me), a mod came along and edited my words. Boofuckinghoo.

Jipstyle wrote:
You're on thin ice. Post like this again and I'll happily neuter your account.

Go read our rules before deciding to post again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

jdrek wrote:
This is great help

LOL epic first post.

And yeah, testout is great. Their labsim was great, as was having nice videos of everything. The guy talking is a bit... overwhelming sometimes.

Unfortunately, stuff came up this summer when I was studying, and wasn't able to take the test before my college started, so I'm going to have to review and learn again this summer when school's out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:25 pm 

oriental-monkey wrote:
thank you in advance.

i just took mine literally a few days ago. you need to know what post is and what it does. the boot order, hardware components, how a injet and laser printer works and trouble shooting. there are a few questions based on asking if a IP address is prive.. you need to know wha tkind of memory a laptop usues. speed of memory, security stuff like diabling the SSID.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:30 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

holidayjr@yahoo.com wrote:
oriental-monkey wrote:
thank you in advance.

i just took mine literally a few days ago. you need to know what post is and what it does. the boot order, hardware components, how a injet and laser printer works and trouble shooting. there are a few questions based on asking if a IP address is prive.. you need to know wha tkind of memory a laptop usues. speed of memory, security stuff like diabling the SSID.

Hope you did well, but please don't Necropost. It's been 50 days since this thread was active.