Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bandwith caps, Need a Network Traffic Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Since comcast has now officially capped network traffic at 250GB per month I've been looking for a program to monitor my net traffic and let me know just how much of that 250GB i've actually been using. I've been trying out Bandwidth Monitor for the last few days but I'm not sure how accurate it is since it said that i used 3GB of traffic last Saturday even though the computer was in standby all weekend and i know for a fact nobody else used it. Can anyone recommend a program (preferably free) that will monitor how much bandwidth I'm using per month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:00 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

i used to use DuMeter, im not too sure if its free though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:01 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

so far that looks like it will do exactly what i want it to, although it would be nice if it was free. oh well. now i have to figure out what program is constantly downloading 2KB of data every second whenever the computer is on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

is a 250gb cap not enough? i realise its not unlimited, but crap, thats one wicked high cap. My cap is 60gbs, and i seldom hit that. what do you download?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:44 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Keep in mind these network monitoring tools also monitor local network traffic as well as internet traffic. So say you have a file share on your computer for someone else in a house and they copy 20 gigs from you or you copy it from them and you only use 1.2 gigs that day on the internet it will show 21.2 gigs total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

bitmeter 2

free, will monitor any network connection alone or with others, has a cap setting and alarm, exports logs to speadsheets etc.

I use it and like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

CharBroiled wrote:
bitmeter 2

free, will monitor any network connection alone or with others, has a cap setting and alarm, exports logs to speadsheets etc.

I use it and like it.

Just downloaded bitmeter! Thats awesome

It is now Defiant Approved :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:07 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

oh aye, it looks pretty sweet. im going to test it out.

Can't windows monitor bandwidth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:47 am 

That with 2 boxing in EverQuest and downloading Tv shows and Movies.

If you use over 250 gigs a month, , Then WOW ! !

DownLoad < H E R E >

Post subject: comcast internet limit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 am 

i was just cut off from comcast because i exceeded there

emm. limit, where/who can i complain to.

why should i have a limit for something comcast doesnt even own?

Post subject: Open hot spot?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:10 am 

250 gigs a month = what, 6 mb per minute (or over 8 gigabytes per day), you would have to actually surgically implant your computer to view all the content you downloaded? LOL.

Umm, I would suggest the possibility that this might be an unsecured wi-fi router that the entire neighborhood (or apartment building) is using?

Oh, THAT's why they have limits? OMG! Why, at $.25 per gigabyte, that is an outrage? LOL. If it is that important, then I would suggest installing another internet connection, that would give you 500 gig per month. I agree, we pay too much for this stuff, especially the cell phones, and the longer you hold out buying stuff, the quicker the prices go down..?

Good luck with that.

Just think how mad you would be for a 4 gig per month limit for something that is twice as expensive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

It's gonna be fun to see what new cellphone and iPhone users say when they hit AT&T's 200MB/month for $15, or 2GB/month for $25 caps!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-a ... 4120.story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:33 am 

i contracted for 20 dl 4 up, which i was told was high speed. "I was never told that there was somekind of CAP or crippled internet.

now if u have an xbox online, use online file storage, rapidshare etc.

access ur home security camera remotely, watchHULU UTUBE etc. for entertainment

purchase softwareonline, get updates etc.

i could have saved money getin a dsl instead

but the thing is "the content is not owned by comcast"
read that above line a few times.

here are a couple of examples

i pay property tax, i get to use all the air i want, because no-one owns it,.....yet
but the goons at comcast have u believe that they can meter the air-content, just because they say so.

now i understand that they have expenses, but that is what my suscription pays for. but obviously i have been overcharged, since comcast has 25 billion to buy a tv network rather than upgrade there outdated infrastructure

the other issue i how this metering is being done?

mylocal gas co. just tested my meter and issued me a refund because it was overcharging me. thats because there is regulation requiring them to test there meters

who or what is testing there meter?

putin aCAP is putting this country on the same level as our educational system, 2nd class

what company is going 2 develop the next utube(high res) when comcast is going to kill there idea by a retarded policy?

sorry if im ranting, i told some friends in germany about this and they though comcast was retarded. they said other words but they dont translate well.

peace

ed

Post subject: Re: comcast internet limit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:55 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ed00 wrote:
i was just cut off from comcast because i exceeded there

emm. limit, where/who can i complain to.

why should i have a limit for something comcast doesnt even own?

What? They own the bandwidth they are providing .. you exceeded the limit.

Unless you left something out of your post, you have nobody to whom you can complain because you broke the rules. What are you going to complain about? Getting caught?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:02 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ed00 wrote:
i contracted for 20 dl 4 up, which i was told was high speed. "I was never told that there was somekind of CAP or crippled internet.

You're confusing speed with capacity. You're also ignoring the fact that you agreed to the service and that the cap was outlined in the service agreement. If you didn't read the agreement .. that's your fault.

Quote:
now if u have an xbox online, use online file storage, rapidshare etc.

access ur home security camera remotely, watchHULU UTUBE etc. for entertainment

purchase softwareonline, get updates etc.

You'd need a very low cap for that kind of activity to push you over. What was the cap that you exceeded?

Quote:
i could have saved money getin a dsl instead

But you chose not to do that, so it isn't relevant.

Quote:
but the thing is "the content is not owned by comcast"
read that above line a few times.

We don't need to .. the content is irrelevant .. you exceeded a bandwidth cap and the bandwidth is a service provided to you by Comcast.

Quote:
here are a couple of examples

i pay property tax, i get to use all the air i want, because no-one owns it,.....yet
but the goons at comcast have u believe that they can meter the air-content, just because they say so.

The people at comcast are metering the bandwidth because a) it costs them money and b) that is the service that they agreed to provide you.

Quote:
now i understand that they have expenses, but that is what my suscription pays for. but obviously i have been overcharged, since comcast has 25 billion to buy a tv network rather than upgrade there outdated infrastructure

Overcharged? Did they charge you more than you agreed to pay?

Quote:
the other issue i how this metering is being done?

Easily.

Quote:
mylocal gas co. just tested my meter and issued me a refund because it was overcharging me. thats because there is regulation requiring them to test there meters

who or what is testing there meter?

The gas meter is a physical device which can become inaccurate over time. The bandwidth meter is a piece of software that can not become inaccurate over time. The analogy is seriously flawed.

Quote:
putin aCAP is putting this country on the same level as our educational system, 2nd class

That is ridiculous. If you don't want a cap, pay for a service that doesn't have one. That is what makes the USA great .. the freedom to do as you choose ... not the freedom to force companies to do what you want at a price you can afford.

Quote:
what company is going 2 develop the next utube(high res) when comcast is going to kill there idea by a retarded policy?

Capitalism made the USA great .. it will solve this 'problem' as well. Bear in mind that watching hidef Youtube videos all day long will not cause you to exceed a cap from most providers.

Again .. what was the actual cap on your service?

Quote:
sorry if im ranting, i told some friends in germany about this and they though comcast was retarded. they said other words but they dont translate well.

Buy a plane ticket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:05 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

OvenMaster wrote:
It's gonna be fun to see what new cellphone and iPhone users say when they hit AT&T's 200MB/month for $15, or 2GB/month for $25 caps!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-a ... 4120.story

I pay $10/mnth for 500MB and I've had no problems. I used to pay $30/mnth for 6GB ... but I didn't need anywhere near that capacity.

Of course, my phone is on wireless when I'm home or at the office, so it is only while I'm on transit (reading the news / surfing) or driving (downloading maps / GPS) that uses 3G.

$15 / mnth for a cellular data package is pretty good, honestly, and 200MB is not an outrageously low figure for cellular data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:10 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I have unlimited data for my phone for $20 @3g for $20 a month and unlimited internet @30 megs down 5megs up for $40 a month. w00t!

Post subject: Re: Bandwith caps, Need a Network Traffic Monitor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:25 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Comcast has a basic tool that tells you how much of your data cap has been consumed. Just log into your account and look under settings. Although keep in mind that the data cap is based on your MAC address, and as far as I know Comcast wont let you have 2 different MAC addresses (such as a modem and router). I found that out the hard way with my file server. I nearly blew right past my 250gig limit less than half way through the month.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

FYI, this thread was started in July of '09.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:36 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Good point.

/locked

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]