Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alienware a warning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:32 am 

Hello everyone. I hope you wont mind if I vent a little in my very first post here. I have lurked here for a while now and enjoyed reading all the advice.

I am writing this as a heads up really and to express my intense disappointment with my experience of doing business with alienware.

On the 21 November 2008 they took £2669.60 from me for payment in full of an m17 laptop.

I was excited indeed to finally be in a position to purchase such a machine having saved up for more than 2 years.

The machine froze solid the very first time I tried to start it up and by the time I could see the desktop I had 4 user accounts in vista because it took so many attempts and forced restarts.

There was a note on the desktop from them saying they had booted this machine successfully several times (sic)

After many hours on the phone to their tech guys and, after having the machine for only a few days, I was advised to send it back.

The chap I spoke to told me that I could have a replacement machine or get my one repaired. He said that if I got it repaired it would be 15 days but if I got a new one it would take until January and i'd have to pay the postage!

It was collected by DHL on 9th December 2008.

It is now 3rd february and I have heard nothing from them at all.

I have phoned several times but their girls seem to have no way of telling me where my machine is or what is happening to it.

they never once said sorry for sending me a broken machine and making me wait in silence for months for a replacement. they never offered me any compensation or a refund. they have offered no explanation or consolation of any kind.

they have completely ignored all my emails, not even a read receipt!

I feel mugged and abandoned by alienware.

so there it is and a sorry tale too.

be wary indeed of giving your hard earned money to this company.

A few days after I first complained to them they set the problems area of my account to "resolved" ( ! ) I think this goes a long way to explaining how they maintain a good record for customer satisfaction!

thanks for reading, and keep up the good work :) dune

Post subject: Re: Alienware a warning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:29 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

dune wrote:
they never once said sorry for sending me a broken machine and making me wait in silence for months for a replacement.

Apologizing is an admission of guilt, which they will never ever do, because they're sneaky/sleazy business people.

Unfortunately your story will only add to the growing number that has been posted on this board about Alienware:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40280

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33091

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41517

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1137

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16465

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Filing complaints with the BBB or ResellerRatings probably won't get you far. I'd still hit up filing with the BBB though.

Check with your credit card company if you can reverse the charge still. Alienware will start talking then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:41 am 

Flytrap7, its a shame but i think you are probably right. thanks for those links, i spose the more of these threads there are the more damage we can do to a poor company and maybe they will start to listen.
--
wtcnbrwndo4u, i threatened them with just such action, still no reply to my emails...

however, today i have an email from DHL to say they have the machine and it is en route to me.

i wonder if being threatened and seeing threads online warning people off alienware did the trick or if it was just coincidence...

i just hope the machine is working properly this time and i dont have to start all over again.

thanks for listening everyone, ill let you know if the machine works when it arrives. dune

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:26 am 
Million Club
Million Club

What'd you expect when you decided to deal with aliens? Did you learn nothing from watching Sigourney Weaver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I saw her ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:24 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I know this is a bit of an older thread- but I absolutely and unequivocally concur with your assessment of Alienware. I got hogged for almost 5k and ended up with a machine crammed full of great hardware and handcuffed to abismal software / driver support.

Sell a laptop with the equivalent of 6 gigs of RAM (Video included) on Vista 32? Sure? Why not. If we're stupid enough to order it... I guess they're clever enough to take advantage.

Oh yeah, and they didn't support Vista 64 at the time. In fact, if you upgraded your own, it wiped the warranty.

What warranty? Their forums are aglow with angry folks... except that you can't get into the forums until you're already committed. Want to send it back? Sure- but it'll cost you something like 20% for "re-stocking..." Even if it never worked.

I am absolutely anti-alienware and hope that anyone else who has taken an unpleasant shaft from them bang on the drum loudly

You can put lots of fancy hardware in a package and ship it out the door. But can you support it?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]