Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Building my own case
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:10 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

OK, so I am attempting to build my own case. I have made most of the outer shell of it on AutoDesk Inventor, but I am asking for suggestions on actualy building it. If there is anyone who has built a case from scratch, I would love to hear from you. Right now, I have two big questions in my mind:
1. How can I work the power button?
2.What material should I use? I have the resources of a full tech room at my service, but as far as I know, most metal cutting is out (I can do small pieces, but thats about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Do you know how to make things? You're asking about power buttons, and we have no idea if you can make a hole for a fan.

Very vague, so I say...learn your way around a toolbox, and start buying crap you don't have.

You can make a panel for a case without a shear? It'll be square and not looking like you duct taped it together? You've got drills, taps, and a guide to tell you what drill to use for so-and-so tap?

Basically, you've attempted something more basic than this before attempting to confront an ATX standard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:29 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

it would be best if you have a set of calipers and an existing case that you can take parts and measurements from for your new case. I'm also currently working in a computer case in inventor but I'm not planning on making one from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

That's a great idea...never thought about that I guess. Transferring specs over would be the way to go. With a 6" rule and a set of calipers, it'd be a cinch to mock up a case.

Don't forget to mix it up a bit though. If everything is transferred over, you end up with a duplicate ;) What's going to change, be modified, or customized to your build?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:33 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Actually, it might be best to duplicate a case first to get a feel for how things work, fit together, etc. Then, take that case you just built, and start making changes. That's kind of how I roll with a lot of fab stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:41 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I meant to just transfer things like mobo standoffs or the width of expansion cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

pellier wrote:
I meant to just transfer things like mobo standoffs or the width of expansion cards.
I/O rectangle, the distance to the first PCI slot as well...that's really all I'd think a person would need, and then go from there.

Doing this on a big piece of butcher's paper could have you folding it around and making things work. Can you still buy that stuff!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:15 am 
Klamath
Klamath

This would count as butcher paper I would think
butcher paper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:53 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

thats a great idea. next time that i get a use of inventor, i will bring some calipers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:44 pm 

well as far as building the case goes i'd go with a nice thin gauge aluminum, you can pick it up from any home depot. i've built one from scratch and while it looked nice it was a less then pleasant experience and i know my way around this stuff my grandfather is a classic car fanatic and i've spent years in his garage shaping metal. make sure you get the tools you need a dremel isn't going to be enough no matter what they tell you. and add some bandages if your working with any kind of sheet metal an relatively inexperienced it's reasonable to expect that your going to cut yourself a few times it happens trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

lol, epic necro anyone?