Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Not sure that fan is going to give you much... please tell me it is exhausting air?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

as for the "turbine" mod, yes, I am going to do that as soon as I figure out how to cut the hole for the side window. as for your question, CT, the fan is on the bottom- why would it exhaust air? The PSU fan and rear fan already exhaust, and that fan blows right into the GPU's intake fan. As proof of concept, the HD3650's core temps went down from 46C idle 61C load to 35C idle 55C load. It was suffocating before, there was zero airflow down there.
as for the window- anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I've never done it before- and yes, I have thought of the dremel and several hours idea. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:04 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Spartacus wrote:
as for the window- anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I've never done it before- and yes, I have thought of the dremel and several hours idea. :lol:

Here's an excellent video tutorial:

http://www.mnpctech.com/Computer_Case_Window.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:29 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Spartacus wrote:
as for your question, CT, the fan is on the bottom- why would it exhaust air?

Dust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

avanish11 wrote:
Dust.

compressed air. :D
EDIT-triple post condensed into one:
RW wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

Here's an excellent video tutorial:

http://www.mnpctech.com/Computer_Case_Window.html

Jigsaw- huh I didn't think they had enough muscle. That makes me very happy, because I already have a jigsaw! :)
anyways- I finally got around to cutting that window out today. It was definitely harder than that video made it look, but the end result looks pretty good. Next step, go to the hardware store and get some plexi and 3M double sided tape.
all kinked up before being repainted
painted and sanded. not bad for the first time.
from this angle, the cable management looks kinda nasty. I blame those fat ribbon cables.

Last edited by Spartacus on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:36 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I haven't updated this in a while, but I have moved forward quite a bit. Hope you like my progress so far, would love to hear your comments:
PSU- I got the replacement PSU, and long story short, in the end I ended up getting an even better PC Power & Cooling 420W because of a mistake newegg made for no extra cost! wewt! Best part is it matches the mod perfectly.
Side Window- Got the plexi, was quite easy to cut with the all-purpose jigsaw blade. Used 3M mounting tape to stick it in there:
I know its dark, turning the flash off was the only way to get the fans blurred when it was on.
3.5" Bay cover- fixed the ghetto tape-mounted cover and mounted it on one of the slot-fillers provided with the case. Looks much more professional
Vibration dampening- made a real HDD mount from a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter and mounted it using that soft mounting tape. Added silicon vibration dampeners to the two fans. The difference is enourmous. It went from being so loud you could hear it from the other side of the house (I'm not kidding) to being so quiet you could hear the soft static from the cheap speakers over it.
That one also shows the red Cold Cathode that I mounted on the bottom of the case. One of the cheap logisys ones from newegg- was afraid it would be orange like the idiot newegg reviewers said it was- which it was, but only if mounted in plain view, the actual cathode was orange looking. The actual light from it was quite red. fools.
adapter slides in nicely between the fan and the GPU. Not much room to hide it in the tiny case, works fine there and allows me to hide the wires.
showing off the hawt PSU again. :) Also, the top cathode that was carefully slipped up there- but still broke. replacement will be $5. Sad face. :(
showing off the 3650... just cause its pretty. Sure, the 4870 in my rig looks even more badass, but its still cool looking.
all together now!
That just leaves one more major stage left (turbine), and a few minor ones. (cable management, fix front-panel USB, etc...)
Good, bad, somewhere in between?
OH, and btw, about the dust concerns from the bottom mounted fan, it actually stays remarkably clean. Whereas my case, which has a side-mounted 80mm intake, a bottom-mounted 80mm intake, and a front 120mm intake was quite dusty when the time came to clean my computers (about every two months), when I came to blow this one out, there was almost no dust at all in it. Both are placed on a desk. Not sure why it stays so clean, guess my brother's carpet is well-vacuumed. :D

Last edited by Spartacus on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:38 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Looking forward to seeing it once you have the cables tidied up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I spent two hours the other day getting awesomely clean cables- but I'll refrain from posting pics until the tubular IDE cables I ordered from newegg come in, because the ribbon cables still ruin it. Though, for the record, I've still spent less than $25 modding the actual case- and so far am getting the looks and quality of a $100 case. Case modding is looking to be one of my hobbies to stay. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:39 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Looks good...

But yeah, my question about that bottom fan was two fold. One issue was the dust. That is a great way to suck a bunch of crap into your case. Also, it doesn't appear that there is a whole lot of room for the air to move.

You could have made a duct that would suck air from the front or back and then that might have helped cut down on the dust and provide some good airflow.

If it works for you, I guess you are good then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

yeah, a duct is probably a better idea- but right now the machine is placed on a desk. I wouldn't use that intake system if placed directly on carpet, and at that point the case is really a good inch and a half off the desk, because of how the front is propped up by the bubble-ish front bezel. Point was, it only had one exhaust fan where it couldn't do any good to the GPU, and it was getting real hot. That fan got air moving down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Looking good Spartacus! Cant wait to see progress on doing the turbine mod to the front bezel. I wonder one of these would fit?http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Antec-TriCool-Big-Boy-200-Case-Fan/3546400/product.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11608525
I think that would look cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I wish. But even a 140mm fan without the square mounts barely fits, and 25mm fans are too thick to fit. So what I'm going to have to do is use a 120mmx12mm Scythe Kaze fans. Its really not too bad, though, since because of the lack of thickness to work with, its got a lot of blades, and really does look like an actual turbine.
http://tinyurl.com/ogs25o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:39 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Turning out to be a great looking little case!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:21 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Alrighty- Got the tubular cables and the replacement for the dead HDD, a 160GB ATA133 Hitachi Deskstar if anyone's interested. The Top DVD Drive also broke, so I replaced it with a spare, but unfortunately I only had black ones, so it looks a little funny. But I'll probably get a black DVD drive for it to fix that, and swap the FDD for a black card reader/FDD combo drive, then paint the spacer with the stickers black, and the power button black too.
The new HDD. Although you can't see it, I also implemented a system where you can swap the HDD out without removing the entire mount- I cut off the heads of the screws on the other side, so if you just unscrew the two screws on this side with an alan wrench, and slip the HDD out. Still requires tools and a little patience, but certainly much easier and more professional than ripping the mount off (which is attached to the case by 3M mounting tape- really takes a lot of force to rip off)
It works!!! :D
Made an I/O shield. Cut cardboard and glued foil to the back of it with Super-77 to give it some grounding abilities, then painted the visible side black, and mounted it with 3M mounting tape. Looks much better than nothing there at all.
overview of cable management. The sides aren't perfect, but they're not visible when the side panel is on.
with the side panel on. Cables are nice and neat now. :)
All lit up. All that's left now is to fix the front panel USB and the turbine- and I've already acquired a USB header to USB port cable, so I'll do that front-panel USB next.
good, bad? any suggestions? please leave some comments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:32 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

The only gripe I have is that wire nut. Maybe you could have soldered the wires together and used heat shrink tubing instead of a wire nut. I don't really know the conditions of said wire though, soldering it would have been risky and difficult if it had to be done insode the case with all the components in place, soo yeah. Nice work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:55 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

ah yes the wire nut. Forgot to mention that. I'm going to get rid of that eyesore as soon as I find time to run to the hardware store and buy some shrink wraps- I ran out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Ahh I see. Good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:13 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey its looking good man. My suggestion is to use some molding around the edge of the window. mnpctech.com sells u-channel, or if you're impatient like me, your local automotive supply store should have door molding that works nicely too, and runs about 7 bucks. I think it adds a nice finishing touch to a window mod. Keep us updated on the progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:56 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

alrighty... so I haven't updated this in a LONG while- I haven't had much time to work on it, but now that my exams are past, I've found some time to work on it. I'm re-doing the paint job, carefully priming, sanding, and clear-coating the paint job so it doesn't get dinged as easily as it used to. I also painted the front bezel entirely black so that when I get the LEDs in there it doesn't look spotty- I also cut the hole for the front turbine- it's empty right now, because the 120x12mm fan hasn't arrived yet, I'd imagine UPS is pretty swamped right now. I also eliminated all wire nuts and properly soldered all wires:
Some minor cabling improvements, more sleeving, more shrink-wraps, and the video card's power cable is consolidated in cable tubing.
all lit up.
here's the front bezel as it is now. As I said, I'm going to add some blue LED's and a 120x12mm fan in there with modders' mesh as a grille. This is before repainting it- I've got the side panel painted and ready for clear coat, and the rest is primed and sanded- I'm also going to paint the inside black. I'll take pics and post them soon. Now, I do have a question. For the clear coat, I found a can of Zar Ultra spray-on clear coat in my shop. It's designed as a clear coat for wood, but I was wondering are there any ill effects of using it as the clear coat for the Krylon paint job? I'm wanting to avoid having to spend $4 of my hard-earned cash on a can of Krylon clear coat. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Nice man, cant wait to see the paint job. I'm not sure about the clearcoat that your looking to use. From research that I've done on painting, the consensus seems to be that you should stick with the same brand for color and clear coats. But, if you still have enough primer and color, I say give it a shot, worse that could happen is you would have to sand it down and re-prime and paint if it doesn't work out. Just make sure your color coat has fully cured before you clearcoat, or you could get some nasty blistering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next