Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What's Faster? 3G or Local Wi-Fi?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:57 pm 
B& Hammer - Cleans Forums Good

My dad is trying to tell me that when he is inside our house, his iPhone runs faster on our Wi-Fi then the 3G.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:25 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

It depends. If your Wi-Fi uses a cheap-o 768kbps connection, then 3G will be faster. On the other side of the coin, if your Wi-Fi uses a super-fast 20mbps connection, the Wi-Fi will be faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:28 pm 

I installed this router and it seems to rock the house. So I think I know the answer to this one.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:56 pm 

For future reference, keep in mind that your internet speed via WIFI will vary depending on your computer's distance from the router, your internet service provided, the WIFI router you're using, and the WIFI card you have installed in your system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 pm 

Speaking of the best card installed, I'm in the process of buying/building my next pc monster creation and I would like to install the BEST Wi-Fi card for my pc. I don't wanna hardwire my pc to the router.

My netbook, which I'm on right now cause I blew up my old pc, is rocking at almost 16mps.

I just got done watcing the latest Transformers movie so if I can do that on a netbook, I know I can rock the house with a brand newly built pc.

What do you suggest for a great Wi-Fi card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:27 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

emporium wrote:
For future reference, keep in mind that your internet speed via WIFI will vary depending on your computer's distance from the router, your internet service provided, the WIFI router you're using, and the WIFI card you have installed in your system.

he's talking about 3G a cell phone network compared to wifi which is directly internet connected... this is a no brainer.... i'm shocked if the wifi isn't about 10 times faster..... the slowest wifi is as quick if not faster than 3G.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:47 pm 

staypuff wrote:
emporium wrote:

he's talking about 3G a cell phone network compared to wifi which is directly internet connected... this is a no brainer.... i'm shocked if the wifi isn't about 10 times faster..... the slowest wifi is as quick if not faster than 3G.....

I understand that the OP is referring to the 3G cell phone network. From what I deduced from his post, Wifi = wireless internet; the speed of your wifi internet connection will vary due to the number of factor I listed previously. Just because your ISP is supplying, say 15MB/S down speed, the router broadcast signal may not be at 15MB/S, especially if your wifi receiver is far from the router. In other words, the further you go from the router, the slower your internet speed and it can be even slower than 3G if you're far enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

emporium wrote:
staypuff wrote:
emporium wrote:

I understand that the OP is referring to the 3G cell phone network. From what I deduced from his post, Wifi = wireless internet; the speed of your wifi internet connection will vary due to the number of factor I listed previously. Just because your ISP is supplying, say 15MB/S down speed, the router broadcast signal may not be at 15MB/S, especially if your wifi receiver is far from the router. In other words, the further you go from the router, the slower your internet speed and it can be even slower than 3G if you're far enough.

according to the OP's post his dad stated WHILE IN THE HOUSE.... his iphone ran quicker on the wifi than on 3G.... unless he lives in a 20k square foot home even the shittiest 802.11b network runs faster than 3G which is a cellular network.... 3G is not a super fast network compared to wifi at all.... it is fast for a cellular network which is very much slower than wifi as of now..... he didn't mention anything about what you are talking about ISP's and such.... keep up will ya..... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:38 pm 

staypuff wrote:
emporium wrote:
staypuff wrote:
emporium wrote:

according to the OP's post his dad stated WHILE IN THE HOUSE.... his iphone ran quicker on the wifi than on 3G.... unless he lives in a 20k square foot home even the shittiest 802.11b network runs faster than 3G which is a cellular network.... 3G is not a super fast network compared to wifi at all.... it is fast for a cellular network which is very much slower than wifi as of now..... he didn't mention anything about what you are talking about ISP's and such.... keep up will ya..... :roll:

You don't have to live in a 20k square feet house to experience slow internet speeds. 802.11b and 802.11g WAPs and routers generally support a range of about 150 feet indoors (300 feet outdoors). But as you implied, without knowing the distance from the OP's computer to the router (in your words, the size of his/her house), distance may or may not play a role in the slow internet speed the OP's father is experiencing. If distance is not the issue, then it can be a number of factors that is affecting internet speed such as, poor wifi driver and router firmware support, RF interference, etc

I have personally experienced 3G being faster than WIFI, hence in answering the OP's original question, my answer is still "yes".

Post subject: Re: What's Faster? 3G or Local Wi-Fi?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:38 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

jjjjjjjj wrote:
My dad is trying to tell me that when he is inside our house, his iPhone runs faster on our Wi-Fi then the 3G.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The wi-fi is capable of much greater speeds than 3G. MUCH faster.

The only time that wifi will be slower is if the connection is shared with a large number of people. Public wifi is often slower or as slow as 3G. Your personal network, however, will blow 3G out of the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

emporium wrote:
I have personally experienced 3G being faster than WIFI, hence in answering the OP's original question, my answer is still "yes".

Your answer only takes half of the process into account.

Yes, a wifi will be slower if there is a lot of traffic or if you are so far from the router that you're dropping more packets than you are receiving.

You ignore the fact that 3G will suffer exactly the same problems for exactly the same reasons. If you're in a concrete basement, far from a cell tower, or are getting a bad signal for one of many reasons, 3G will be slower.

Since there are a lot of very obvious factors that could slow down a wireless signal (whether wifi or 3G), a discussion like this mentions them once and leaves it alone. Arguing about it is silly.

What is important is that 3G is much slower than wifi under ideal conditions. Much slower. Add to that the fact that 'ideal conditions' for your wifi are much easier to manipulate than 3G ... you can move your router, use an antenna, boost your signal, etc. but you can't alter the signal from the cell tower ... and you can see that wifi is a 'better' connection than 3G in most conditions.