Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iphone or pre? for me!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:41 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

My current phone is falling apart, and my 2 year contract with spring is up so i want to get a new phone. A Smart Phone. But im not sure which one is right for me.

I want a clear signal because it WILL be used as a phone. But id also like to offload some of the duties my laptop (a 13 inch Dell XPS M1330) currently does. There are just time when cracking it open is not really practical. I'm talking looking up some quick info on wiki or some other site, checking my DA, composing gmails, or youtubbin.

Ideally id like something i could transfer videos to for watching on the go like a mini tv. and if i could have a mini "word" for my short stories that would be good to.

So options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Both the iPhone and Pre are nice phone. Both phones are great for what you're looking to do. The biggest difference between them is their respective carriers. I know a lot of people who'd love either phone, but aren't itching to change carriers for a specific phone.

As cool as the iPhone is, I definitely wouldn't leave Sprint for it. I've been a Sprint customer for almost 3 years now and I've never had an issue. They also have great deals for smartphone plans. I have the entry-level Simply Unlimited plan, and I don't know how I got by without it. I get unlimited everything except for anytime minutes (which I don't use much of anyway). After paying for insurance for the phone (which is very worth it), my monthly bill comes to about $75.

I've had friends who're on other carriers, and even with phone insurance, they still have to pay extra money (like $50) to get their phone replaced. I could stab my phone with a sword, bring it into a Sprint store, and they'll replace it for free.

Different carriers aside, the Palm Pre really focuses on integrating your phone with the web. For instance, having your contacts have more than just phone numbers. You can access their social networking profile, their IM screen name, their email, their phone number.... They also put a lot of work into multi-tasking which the phone does pretty well. Running Pandora, while browsing the web is now doable, as well as typing an email while talking on the phone, and other things. Another area where the Pre is very polished is the gestures. It's easy to use once you get the hang of it. In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of the Pre.

The iPhone has a lot going for it. It's not a super popular smartphone just because it's made by Apple (well, that's part of it, :wink: ). It's easy to use, has a ton of available applications from the iPhone app store, it's an iPod touch as well as smartphone.... It's also not the very beginning of a new platform like the Pre. The iPhone might seem a bit less bugggy and more polished. Not to nag about the Pre, but it is the first phone. with version 1.0 of a brand new platform, so ti's bound to not be the Godsend of a phone like Palm wants you to believe. It definitely has the potential, but even I (a huge fan of the Pre) would probably sit this one out for a while to see where it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:06 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Neither. Get the HTC Touch Pro or HTC Fuze if you're going with ATT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:25 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

avanish11 wrote:

WinMo? I'm too lazy to look. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:23 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

that Linux guy wrote:
avanish11 wrote:

6.1 :D

I wanna get it so badly......

I was looking at the iPhone, but there's no slide out keyboard. Me no rike touchscreen keyboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:46 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

avanish11 wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
avanish11 wrote:

6.1 :D

I wanna get it so badly......

I was looking at the iPhone, but there's no slide out keyboard. Me no rike touchscreen keyboards.

Actually, having a hardware keyboard is a bit plus for most any smartphone over an iPhone. Several of the Palm Treo models and the Centro have smaller keys than some of their Blackberry rivals, but they're quite easy to type with once you've gotten used to it.

I really haven't heard much of any buzz around Windows Mobile in a while. I did want the MotoQ for a while, but the Palms and Blackberries started looking much more intriguing. Now with WebOS and Android getting into the mobile platform scene, I'd be looking more towards them or a Blackberry over any WinMo phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:46 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

what about the Instinct, since i areaady have spritn it would seem viable.

OR are my needs so generic any smart phone would do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I just left nextel (sprint) for t-mobile. I have the G1 which is HTC Dream I think. It has onscreen and slide out keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Queenof1 wrote:
I just left nextel (sprint) for t-mobile. I have the G1 which is HTC Dream I think. It has onscreen and slide out keyboard.

You have android??? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 pm 

Like that Linux guy said, both the iphone and pre are excellent phones. I personally have the iphone 3gs and absolutely love it. However, the Pre also offers great features similar to the iphone. If you're more of the unique type of person, I'd say go with the Pre. Almost every other person i see on the street now carries an iphone and although there's not much to complain about, i sometimes feel it's more of a fashion statement to be carrying an iphone than anything else :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:56 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

nekollx wrote:
what about the Instinct, since i areaady have spritn it would seem viable.

OR are my needs so generic any smart phone would do?

If a nice smarphone like the G1, iPhone, Pre, or Storm is a Honda S2000 or Mazda Miata MX-5, the Instinct is a VW Bug convertible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm 

i'm waiting for the htc fortress winmo 6 coming out for att[its the htc touch pro 2 on sprint,vz,and tmo......it has a 3.6 inch screen.

the sony satio looks pretty good....along with the samsung omnia 2 [pro hd] it films in 720p has winmo or symbian, and a 3.6 or bigger screen....but these dont have the slide out key board that the htc pro 2 [fortress] has.

go to www.phonearena.com and click on the carrier you want, and then click the "upcoming phones" Tab