Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mic wont work in Aspire One netbook D150 Running Ubuntu UNR
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have tried and tried and can not get this darn thing to work. I thought it was Skype but then tried the Recorder and it would not work. Incase you did not guess from the title, I am using Ubuntu NBR 9.04 on my Netbook Aspire One D150--yes, I decided to give windows the boot. Ubuntu works great out the box except for the mic. I have updated the ALSA drivers, un-muted the mic in the Volume control, Changed the device drivers, messed around with the audio preferences, and also changed the settings in the System>preferences>sound--NOTHING! After every change I checked the recorder and there is no change. What can I do? I have placed multiple posts in several linux forums and thus far been unsuccessful.

Can someone guide me to the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:56 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I found that Ubuntu 9.04 gave me audio issues when trying to use ALSA, but PulseAudio worked (with some minor issues albeit). Try setting every thing to use PulseAudio.

I know this has gone unanswered for a while, but I hope you can get this resolved quickly. Personally, nothing bugs me more when a piece of hardware won't work right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:10 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Audio works flawlessly on my pc...

:D :D

I assume your other audio stuff is working okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:41 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

CrashTECH wrote:
Audio works flawlessly on my pc...

:D :D

I assume your other audio stuff is working okay?

My Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE has always worked fine since Ubuntu 5.10, as well as Windows (XP and 7). My Denon AVR-600 receiver hooked up to some old Teac book-shelve speakers do the job good enough for the price (receiver was $12, bookshelves were free). They've always worked out fine, but as soon as I started using the latest stable Ubuntu, ALSA didn't work, but PulseAudio does. My main issue is that I get a weird sound while watching movies or music. It's almost like the sound turns off when there isn't enough of it, making something akin to an electronic clapping sound while watching video or playing music. Not sure how else to describe it.

I blame PulseAudio, but only because it's the only apparent change to my system. I may be ditching Ubuntu for Debian Lenny though, so I'll go back to ALSA and won't have these issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:10 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

that Linux guy wrote:
I may be ditching Ubuntu for Debian Lenny though
Uh... same thing? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:15 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

CrashTECH wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
I may be ditching Ubuntu for Debian Lenny though

Uh... same thing? lol

Nope. Different kernel version (2.6.26 vs 2.6.30) and most of the programs aren't the absolute latest. It's not the newest of everything. It's just the most stable newest. Everything works, and you rarely have an app that goes bonkers with issues. Also, Debian isn't known to have a largely documented issue with each release like Ubuntu is. Xorg for example could work fine for you now, but when you upgrade to 9.10, it might not. Ubuntu has had this happen for a while. A large amount of people will have issues they didn't have in the previous version. 9.04 issue is audio from my understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:22 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

That is because they know how OS development SHOULD work and only put out a new release every couple of years rather than ever freaking 9 months or whatever Ubuntu does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:24 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

CrashTECH wrote:
That is because they know how OS development SHOULD work and only put out a new release every couple of years rather than ever freaking 9 months or whatever Ubuntu does.

Exactly. And FYI, Ubuntu releases a new OS every April and October, save for their first LTS release that was released in June, 2006 (hence it's version number 6.06). Ubuntu is much more shiny and has lots of toys, but Debian is a true workhorse and never has a problem (unless you left a stray comma or semi-colon somewhere in some .conf file by mistake.).

I bounce back and forth between the two because I get bored with Debian being boring, and frustrated with Ubuntu for favoring the latest versions over functionality and stability.