Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: is there a "Good Guy" ISP?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:17 pm 

I'm moving to the portland area soon, and will have to pay for my own internet (as in not included in rent)

with comcast and AT&T capping bandwidth, filtering torrent traffic and all sorts of other shenanigans, is there and ISP's "for the people" who at least appear to be looking out for the little guys even if it's just to get their business?

From what I've heard comcast caps are pretty roomy, so if that's what I go with it'll be ok, but I'd just like to know my options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I'm nowhere near Portland (or the west coast for that matter), but Comcast has been good to me for 3 years running. I'm not a real heavy downloader, but when I do download something, it's in clusters. 20Gb of stuff in 2 weeks, then nothing for 6 or 7. Can't really say much about the other major ISPs around the area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Verizon DSL has specifically mentioned repeatedly that their downloads are not and will not be capped, and that if/when their network starts slowing down due to use, they expand it instead. They have pretty good deals (right now I'm paying $20 a month for life for 3Mb down/768kb up). The only thing they might hammer you about is running a Tor exit node.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:58 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

i use Charter Communication
When the caps started flying around I caled them and told them in no uncertin terms if they cap my internet they loose a customer, they assured me they have no plans to cap and i made them record my comment.

While the service is great i will say this

Customer Service sucks, calling them is such a pain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

They lied to you.

http://www.charter.com/Visitors/Policies.aspx?Policy=6
Quote:
Residential service usage will not exceed 100GB of bandwidth per month for Customers subscribing to Services of 15 Mbps or less per month and 250GB of bandwidth per month for Customers subscribing to Service over 15 Mbps and up to 25 Mbps. Charter reserves the right to revise usage limits or to implement additional usage limits.

Scroll down to Section 13.

Also see:
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/16900.cfm
http://www.multichannel.com/article/173 ... _Plans.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:13 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

nekollx wrote:
i use Charter Communication
When the caps started flying around I caled them and told them in no uncertin terms if they cap my internet they loose a customer, they assured me they have no plans to cap and i made them record my comment.

While the service is great i will say this

Customer Service sucks, calling them is such a pain

Nice thread res, dood. 3 months?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:59 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

$hit! Sucked in again! :evil: GD it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am 

OvenMaster wrote:
Verizon DSL has specifically mentioned repeatedly that their downloads are not and will not be capped, and that if/when their network starts slowing down due to use, they expand it instead. They have pretty good deals (right now I'm paying $20 a month for life for 3Mb down/768kb up). The only thing they might hammer you about is running a Tor exit node.

That's what I had--then it started going up-and-down for the past three weeks. Yesterday my max download speed was 6.2 kb/sec. ???

You call them and get a spiel from somebody in India. Regardless of how much you know or what you've done to correct--they follow their stupid script. Then when they can't correct the problem--you're put on hold for 20-45 minutes while they contact their technical-repair contractor; and they then tell you it'll be 12 days for a tech. That's happened to me 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Bye-bye, Verizon. And I'm not paying "early-termination," either.

Let'em sue me. I'll bring my Actiontec screen-shots into court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I'm willing to bet that you're a 'victim' of bandwidth shaping on your ISPs part ... are you using torrents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:44 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Amocanes wrote:
OvenMaster wrote:

That's what I had--then it started going up-and-down for the past three weeks. Yesterday my max download speed was 6.2 kb/sec. ???

You call them and get a spiel from somebody in India. Regardless of how much you know or what you've done to correct--they follow their stupid script. Then when they can't correct the problem--you're put on hold for 20-45 minutes while they contact their technical-repair contractor; and they then tell you it'll be 12 days for a tech. That's happened to me 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Bye-bye, Verizon. And I'm not paying "early-termination," either.

Let'em sue me. I'll bring my Actiontec screen-shots into court.

Odd. How far are you from the CO? Seen any service trucks around your neighborhood lately? Had any rain- or windstorms lately that might affect wiring on poles? Any new software installs? Viruses? Malware? I've thoroughly enjoyed using VZ DSL for almost three years without one single service call needed.

Speeds for me have been consistently topnotch. I've had exactly two outages: one was six hours when they had CO troubles, and one was 15 minutes when they switched me from 768/128 to 3.0/768. That was a free upgrade, BTW.

Even when I run LimeWire (rarely, to be honest) my service is fast fast fast.