Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What degree should I get?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I just got out of college. Slapped with academic probation. I let two classes slide but my mind was blown out and I couldn't catch up.
I have been looking at other options that might interest me and Photography came up. It still deals with computers, I will be outside/inside (I like the outdoors) and there will always be something new to look forward to.
I checked what type of degrees there are, and it's weird. There is normal AAS but then there is AFA? What is an "AFA". Academy of Fine Arts, but is that better then AAS?
What should I look for to get the best education and what other things will I be doing while being a photographer.

Post subject: Re: What degree should I get?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:08 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

maniacm0nk3y wrote:
I just got out of college. Slapped with academic probation. I let two classes slide but my mind was blown out and I couldn't catch up.
I have been looking at other options that might interest me and Photography came up. It still deals with computers, I will be outside/inside (I like the outdoors) and there will always be something new to look forward to.
I checked what type of degrees there are, and it's weird. There is normal AAS but then there is AFA? What is an "AFA". Academy of Fine Arts, but is that better then AAS?
What should I look for to get the best education and what other things will I be doing while being a photographer.

"AAS" mostly likely stands for Associate of Applied Sciences" It's a type of degree, like like a MA, BA, MS, BS, AS, and others.

"AFA" is probably what you're thinking, and is a school you'll hear a lot about if you watch TV in the early afternoon. Academy of Fine Arts is national community college of art school. National, because they're all over the country, and community college because I don't think you have to be accepted. Just sign up.

As for the rest of your post and questions, I can't really make out what you're asking. Are you wanting to be a photographer on the side while doing something else, or are you just looking to become a photographer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My recollection is that AAS's are oriented towards career type work, with relaxed requirements for general ed. AFA's are oriented toward transferring to a 4 year school and using your credits for a Bachelor's degree. It's a bit flaky in that not all schools accept it as credit, so you may end up taking some classes twice.

In re. actual education (this is just an educated guess here), the AAS would have a lot more computer/photoshop type experience. The AFA would have more artsy fartsy pretty picture taking experience.

However, in both cases, I would expect the outdoor work to be substantially less than the inside work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The AFA is in a Community College, that is how I found out while looking on the state website for college information and help.

I want to be a photographer. I have been looking around a lot after getting the probation, because even though I love computers, I learned I wouldn't enjoy working with them or on them on a day to day basis. I was taking Networking, Database, Programming and Web Design classes. They were interesting but didn't pull me in.

I love animals and whenever I got out shooting pictures I enjoyed it so the two seems logical. I was thinking about being a Vet or Marine Biologist, but never really took Biology classes or anything relating to them and heard it's difficult to get in because many people want to be a vet/tech.

I could be a photographer for special occasions and stuff or specialize (if you are able?) in animal photography...something along those lines?

AAS seems like it would be better then AFA, since it deals more with career work instead of something of a hobby. Better for the resume?