Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Train Signal A+ Certiciation Worth It?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm looking for anyone who's ever used or had a friend who's ever used Train Signal's CompTIA A+ certification material. The reason I ask is because I have a copy of their A+ certification material, but I am not sure rather or not the source can be trusted to be entirely accurate of what they're saying. As a friend of mine, who happens to be more computer smart, said they were wrong in one area when the material I was viewing discussed laptops.

I am working on getting my A+ Certification, but I don't want to be misinformed about subjects, so finding out rather or not Train Signal is a reliable source to study from is something I'm not quite sure of yet. This is why I would like to know if anyone has ever had a friend who has used it or them themselves.

Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:58 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Your best bet when studying anything is using multiple sources. When I was studying for my Network+, I didn't understand DNS in the first study guide. Another book had a different approach to explaining that really helped me understand it better. Now if only I could do the same for subnetting, I'd be golden!

When you're using the internet, you have tons of sources. You could even look up the exam objectives, and google search each one and check out different material from other sites, as well as Wikipedia, forum posts, etc.

As for your specific question, I've never even heard of Train Signal. Is it a book, or something else?

Try checking out this study guide.

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/c ... ndex.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I happen to like TrainSignal. I would not rely 100% on them for passing but they do also give you transender to help you prepare so I do think it is worth it. Trainsignal in general does provide excellent information. What is better is you actually see step by step how things are done.

http://www.trainsignal.com/CompTIA-A-Training-P52.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

that Linux guy wrote:
only I could do the same for subnetting, I'd be golden!

When you break it down, subnetting and supernetting is easy...what do you want to know, or don't understand?

I'm a professor at Conestoga College in Kitchener, Ontario and teach certification courses, including Network+ for a living...subnetting is one of the most intimidating aspects of networking, but really, in the end it's fairly straight forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:47 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I can't tell you about Train Signal but what I do know is that I had 9 different books and there's some garbage out there, but most A+ resources are pretty good. Try CompTIA's own website and try their recommended resources.

The real key is working with the technology, getting hands on experience. Likewise, using learning resources, but more importantly is self-testing software. I have a guide that I should publish here that includes 6 steps to successfully passing your certification that I give my students.