Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: computer engineering?A+
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 327
iam currently taking courses to get A+ certified and i am going to be in 12th grade in september, when you are certified how much do you make an hours?
and is computer engineering anything like A+? and how much do they make a year?
and just to verify computer science is C+ right, like low level languages?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:31 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
Computer engineering uses software programming. A+ would be almost worthless for computer engineering. A+ focuses more on consumer-level hardware and software (the operating system, motherboards, cable types, etc). It doesn't cover programming.

Computer Science is basically a programming major, but much broader than that. Think computer person with a good background in programming, physics and math.

And there is no such programming language named C+. There is C# and C++. Thought I would mention that :P .


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:12 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 327
hackman2007 wrote:
Computer engineering uses software programming. A+ would be almost worthless for computer engineering. A+ focuses more on consumer-level hardware and software (the operating system, motherboards, cable types, etc). It doesn't cover programming.

Computer Science is basically a programming major, but much broader than that. Think computer person with a good background in programming, physics and math.

And there is no such programming language named C+. There is C# and C++. Thought I would mention that :P .

so what major would be in a A+ ? or dealing with hardware


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:16 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
I think a better question would be, what are you looking to gain out of college? What are you wanting to do?

I think of hardware more of a trade for a computer person, almost anyone can do it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 327
hackman2007 wrote:
I think a better question would be, what are you looking to gain out of college? What are you wanting to do?

I think of hardware more of a trade for a computer person, almost anyone can do it.

i mean working with circuits and creating cpus and stuff. what would that be?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
That would be a mix between Computer Science and Computer Engineering.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 327
hackman2007 wrote:
That would be a mix between Computer Science and Computer Engineering.

which should i major and which should i minor?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:43 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 3898
Location: In the server room
Some programs have a mix of both. A degree in Electrical Engineering would also work well, or even better: MicroProcessor Engineering.

The A+ is for Geek Squad, and that's a a far cry away from creating processors.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24238
Location: Granite Heaven
oriental-monkey wrote:
hackman2007 wrote:
Computer engineering uses software programming. A+ would be almost worthless for computer engineering. A+ focuses more on consumer-level hardware and software (the operating system, motherboards, cable types, etc). It doesn't cover programming.

Computer Science is basically a programming major, but much broader than that. Think computer person with a good background in programming, physics and math.

And there is no such programming language named C+. There is C# and C++. Thought I would mention that :P .

so what major would be in a A+ ? or dealing with hardware


A community college diploma comes close.

A+ is like a basic mechanic certification. You can change the oil and sparkplugs.

Computer Engineering has two disciplines: hardware and software. Hardware is the guy who designs the car, engine, etc.. Software is the guy who tunes the car's computer and electronics for maximum performance.

Computer Science has no car analogy. It is mathematics and programming (applied mathematics).

A+ gets you a job at Best Buy building PCs and installing new drives and RAM in PCs. It lands you a job that pays, at best, $10/hr. That is about $20,000/year.

Comp. Sci and Comp. Eng. will land you jobs starting in the $50k-60k range, depending on your location.

A+ is not a career.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 am 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 327
that Linux guy wrote:
Some programs have a mix of both. A degree in Electrical Engineering would also work well, or even better: MicroProcessor Engineering.

The A+ is for Geek Squad, and that's a a far cry away from creating processors.

would you explain micro processing engineering?
and what would benefit me most for a career and make a decent amout of money starting job 50k-60k?
is microprocessing engineering a branch off of electrical or computer enigneering?
i like to deal with circuits and a bit of programing.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:57 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24238
Location: Granite Heaven
Microprocessor engineering is the design of microprocessors ... 'computer chips'.

Enroll in either an CS or Engineering program. You'll figure out what you like after your first year.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:26 am 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 pm
Posts: 327
Jipstyle wrote:
Microprocessor engineering is the design of microprocessors ... 'computer chips'.

Enroll in either an CS or Engineering program. You'll figure out what you like after your first year.


but is it a branch or computer science or computer engineering?
and is computer engineering a branch of electircal engineering?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24238
Location: Granite Heaven
Pro Tip: Work on your English. I've no idea what you just said.

Have you tried answering these questions on your own? Google is your friend.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:01 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am
Posts: 3898
Location: In the server room
Many careers have online communities, professional organizatioins, or blogs pertaining to life in that career. I looked around for such info on Microprocessor engineers and found none. I think it would be a mix of CE and EE.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:38 pm
Posts: 311
Location: VA Beach, VA
hackman2007 wrote:

And there is no such programming language named C+. There is C# and C++. Thought I would mention that :P .


Don't forget C. Which sometimes people do call it C+ instead of C.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:48 am 
Northwood
Northwood
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Posts: 3311
Location: Toronto, ON
oriental-monkey wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Microprocessor engineering is the design of microprocessors ... 'computer chips'.

Enroll in either an CS or Engineering program. You'll figure out what you like after your first year.


but is it a branch or computer science or computer engineering?
and is computer engineering a branch of electircal engineering?


I think I can help clarify the question.

1.) Is Microprocessor Engineering a branch inside Computer Science or Computer Engineering? AKA, which covers Microprocessor Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering?

2.) Is Computer Engineering a branch inside Electrical Engineering? AKA, is Electrical Engineering a broad topic that covers Computer Engineering?

Sorta like how HP is a branch off of Computer Manufactures.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:51 am 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
jlh304 wrote:
hackman2007 wrote:

And there is no such programming language named C+. There is C# and C++. Thought I would mention that :P .


Don't forget C. Which sometimes people do call it C+ instead of C.


I've never heard C referred to as C+. Then again, I'm not a programmer either, so don't know all the slang terms ;) .


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.