Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ubisoft can take their DRM system and stick it in their $$$
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:50 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Once again I must reactivate FarCry 2. This is going on the 5th time I've had to reactivate the game. I haven't played it in a while. Maybe it is just pissed off that I haven't been paying it any attention lately.
I haven't changed hardware. The only thing I've done is install Win 7 RC.
But I do know that it is going to be a cold day in hell before I buy another Ubisoft game that has this DRM system. It could be the hottest game of the century and I would be looking elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:49 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I agree, however I am more posting because I like your avatar.

Flaming cat!
We monkeys like to see this type of fun going on in other places besides our cage.

Post subject: Re: Ubisoft can take their DRM system and stick it in their
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]
Million Club 2+ [PC]

dedgar wrote:
Once again I must reactivate FarCry 2. This is going on the 5th time I've had to reactivate the game. I haven't played it in a while. Maybe it is just pissed off that I haven't been paying it any attention lately.
But I do know that it is going to be a cold day in hell before I buy another Ubisoft game that has this DRM system. It could be the hottest game of the century and I would be looking elsewhere.

Atleast it isn't a rootkit/spyware non disclosed hiden selfinstalling, potential to open you system to hackers SECURom that Sony sells to be people tto "Protect there software"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:04 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Logan wrote:
dedgar wrote:

Atleast it isn't a rootkit/spyware non disclosed hiden selfinstalling, potential to open you system to hackers SECURom that Sony sells to be people tto "Protect there software"

This!I hate all sony software for this one reason it drives me mad!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:47 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Logan wrote:
dedgar wrote:

Sorry you got raped ... at least you weren't killed?

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I believe the idea is now uniform to these companies that this sort of stuff leads to piracy. Even honest folks that hate to steal, look to pirating clean copies (which happen to be free) because they don't want to deal with these schemes.

In the end, the more they protect their products, the more they shoot themselves in the foot. They cause and create the exact thing they're trying to protect against. There's always some smart guys out there that love these challenges. Where there's a will, there's a way, and schemes will be defeated.

CSS took a month I think, and BluRay remained un-crackable for what...3 days? Once it's cracked, those type like to show off their mental prowess via sharing. Just kicking it back to Semi-difficult to copy has the majority going back to buying their products. And like you, won't even play the game you spent money on due to this BS that comes with it.

I think Steam has the answers...but I also don't want 5 different clients running just to play a couple games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:30 pm 

Actually, now that you mention it, I just recently rediscovered Steam (I'd been a registered user since way back when when I purchased Half Life 2, but haven't used it since that year) because someone had mentioned a sale they were having on...I dunno, Company of Heroes package or somesuch.

In any case, I now use it exclusively to launch/keep track of all my games/gamer friends. Even with games that I previously (pre-Steam) owned, I just point the client to the executable, and it lets all my friends (via Steam) know what I'm playing.

Tiny memory footprint; usually inexpensive games and (after the interminable purchase/d o w n l o a d time) has a wonderful backup system, so's you always have a copy handy and don't have to worry about (gasp!) using the terrifically slow download setup again. But, if all else fails, one has THAT as a backup option, as well.

I'm diggin' it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Ya i dont know why so many people hate on steam.

99% of my games have been bought from there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 pm 

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I get the feeling that Ubisoft is pulling a Disney & trying to buy out as many developers & franchises as they can.

& then they ruin them with their install limitations & total lack of technical support.