Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Not logged in as administrator (but I am)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:59 am 

****I listed this topic in the Clinic forum but I like getting help from programmers too, you guys seem to give me different and more detailed answers****

I have a Compaq SR1620NX (link is below). It was a customers whose harddrive was fried. I installed a new Western Digital HD and a fresh reinstall of OEM Windows XP Home. I loaded all Windows updates, Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader and Norton Internet Security 2009. I then went through the full system check before handing back to the customer and noticed that the sound wasn't working. I looked in the Device Manager and saw that (listed under "other devices") two items did not have drivers loaded (exclamation mark). They are "multimedia audio controller" and "SM bus controller". I went to the Compaq website and tried loading drivers listed there and had an error message saying that I cannot load these drivers because I am not logged on as the administrator. I am logged in as the administrator. I do not see any other areas where I am limited in what I can do or load so this is confusing. I have scoured some other boards and tried a few things but nothing seems to work. I guess here is my problem in a nutshell...

-I am logged in as administrator
-I am trying to load a needed program
-The program says that it won't load because I need to be an administrator
-Confusion ensues

Anyone with some suggestions or links to suggestions? Thanks in advance.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... g=en&cc=us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Moved from Programmer's Palace because it doesn't belong there.

Locked because the thread already exists here.

Please don't post the same subject in multiple folders. One thread is enough. Most of the people in the PP also pop into this folder .. and I left a shadow behind that will help direct more traffic to the appropriate thread.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]