Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'displaying example code', though .. could you clarify your point? :)

I think he meant prototyping. :)

I mean, for prototyped apps, sure. Why bother, right? Also, if I'm testing a segment of code, I usually will isolate segments of code and execute them. I usually don't care about try/catch there. However, any app I write that will require users (system or people), goodness, try/catch is gorgeous when you need to do something. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'displaying example code', though .. could you clarify your point? :)

I mean, for prototyped apps, sure. Why bother, right? Also, if I'm testing a segment of code, I usually will isolate segments of code and execute them. I usually don't care about try/catch there. However, any app I write that will require users (system or people), goodness, try/catch is gorgeous when you need to do something. :)
Except when the prototype becomes the production application :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

CrashTECH wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

My predecessor did that, i want to hit him so badly. He took a testbox (aptly named ISTESTBOX) and placed production apps on it. Fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:54 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

It happens more often than it should, I am sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DJSPIN80 wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

My predecessor did that, i want to hit him so badly. He took a testbox (aptly named ISTESTBOX) and placed production apps on it. Fun.

Could be worse .. he could have put test apps onto a production box. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:08 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

We had an issue with Crystal reports... we ended up pointing the production server to the test report server :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:09 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
We had an issue with Crystal reports... we ended up pointing the production server to the test report server :)

Business Objects can burn in hell. BURN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I hate Crystal reports...

Thankfully, I have nothing to do with them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:

If that ever happens...I'm gonna start yelling at people. :P

I've seen some people do some really, really kooky stuff. Use Test for Production and, worst, no pre-production or QA environments!

I loved working in a big bank. Sure, it's bureaucratic, it's a pain but when they built an infrastructure for developers they did it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

DJSPIN80 wrote:
I loved working in a big bank. Sure, it's bureaucratic, it's a pain but when they built an infrastructure for developers they did it right.

I work at a big bank. I do dev work and dev support work for them. The infrastructure used is a hodgepodge of systems that are not designed to communicate with each other, code that works sometimes or not at all, "steering comittees with no driver", "seperation of duties psychofants that suck up to the peter principle bosses and end up directing code projects with the Magic SDLC (not one of them realizing that SDLC stands for Software Development Life Cycle)" Huge 6 month project timelines for implementation when the project is to grab data from a MS Excel spreadsheet reformat it save it as a *.csv and send that file to the mainframe. But a 2 week get it done now "oh shit!" deadline for a project requiring 4 levels of access to be granted and a codebase of 100k lines or more. fed by 2 disparate RDBM's and needing several hundred man hours of research and design before code can be written, the list is endless.

Thats an infrastructure? That sounds more to me like some horrible spasm than an infrastructure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

If that ever happens...I'm gonna start yelling at people. :P

I've seen some people do some really, really kooky stuff. Use Test for Production and, worst, no pre-production or QA environments!

As an example of how NOT to do things correctly: my last major software release had code put into the build the NIGHT BEFORE the offical RTM build was cut. No time for code review or QA .. the dev just figured that the code didn't affect anything 'important' so he pushed it in.

My response was 'if didn't affect anything important, it should have waited for a patch release.'

My response was ignored.

I'm waiting for a great big "I TOLD YOU SO" when the complaints start flooding in.

(And no, I'm not telling you who I work for this time. :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Wouldn't they just use the last point in the source control that was specified as the RTM build?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:12 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Wouldn't they just use the last point in the source control that was specified as the RTM build?

Not when the dev == project lead. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

lol@faildev

Srsly? What a nooblet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
lol@faildev

Srsly? What a nooblet.

Sadly, the nooblet in question has been with the company for over a decade and is in the most senior position available that still provides the opportunity to do development.

The worst thing is that he holds onto his position so he can still code ... and we're terrified he'll be promoted because the only thing he does worse than code is 'manage' a team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

ohfuckohfuckohfuck

lol

Don't you do like 360 degree reviews?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
ohfuckohfuckohfuck

lol

Don't you do like 360 degree reviews?

Yeah, but he is so far up the PM's ass, the only light that shines in ... well, I'm not going to continue this metaphor. Let's just say that everyone knows and no one does anything. Sigh.

Thankfully, as an Information Architect (I love my title), I work on several teams so my frustrations are not as high as they could be. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Mine isn't so bad... "IT Systems Integrator"

Very fitting seeing as what I actually do involves tying all kinds of crap together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:28 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

MaxFan wrote:
DJSPIN80 wrote:
Thats an infrastructure? That sounds more to me like some horrible spasm than an infrastructure.

After my stint at the bank, I worked in health care - 3 stints to be exact. Here's what I learned:

1) While the bank was excruciatingly bureaucratic, our systems were pretty good. We had a homogenous Windows environment, I was part of a team that maintained a single app (a big one). We did it right; we had a single environment and kept things homogenous.

2) If we had to talk to another system, we spent a LOT of time building a system that could interface with both our systems. For example, we had data sitting in an old COBOL mainframe, so we batched it into text files, created a parser and parsed the data. We formed a team of SME's whose job is to know and train others in that.

3) While we had too many check points, we made sure that we can trace bad code to the programmer. Trust me, we had 80+ developers working on a 1GB source code, we apportioned defects/features/projects so that we could trace who was doing what and blame them if it fails.

We had NONE of this in health care. I remember after the bank, went to go for a health care company. Their architecture was so bad that we spent close to a year just rebuilding the environment - that's on top of code changes and releases, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:30 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
I'm waiting for a great big "I TOLD YOU SO" when the complaints start flooding in.

(And no, I'm not telling you who I work for this time. :P )

I've heard that before, and guess what, it blew up and fixing it was hell. Too bad I wasn't there when it happened, I hadn't been switched to that team yet. :P