Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

avanish11 wrote:
Looking good. I love how you update right as we think "ok this guy isn't going to finish this mod"

I've gotta keep you all guessing :).... Never fear this mod will be finished!!

CBB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've gotten some questions about the Lights that I designed for the PacknPlay on another board that has my worklog. So I thought that I'd post this here in case others are thinking the same things..

The "Secret" Pack-n-Play Light board Schematics. It has both the Quad LED fader and the Hdd Slow fade circuit on it.

You'll note that all the "LEDS" are two post connectors, That's because I made this modular so that it was easy to disconnect everything. The Posts have the negative side marked with "-".

The Slow fade is a simple circuit, when the optical-relay turns on it starts to charge C1 and turns the Base of Q1 on which Makes the UV LED light. Now when the Relay shuts off C1 tries to keep the Base On Q1 on, but the voltage slowly drops this causes the UV LED slowly get dimmer (takes about 1/4-1/2 sec to fade completely).

Now the LED Fader I found only needs 2 op-amps.. The LM324 has 4 op-amps in one package. So I just double the circuit to give me 4 outputs. 4 outputs doesn't mean that you can only have 4 LEDS. The Transistors can handle 200mA each most Super.Ultra Bright LEDs use up to 30mA each. So 200/30= 6.667 So you should be able to run up to 6 LEDs on each output... That means you can run allot of LEDs on this :) When you first power up the circuit both sets of outputs are in sync, after a coupe of minutes, the two set start to get out of sync. This is do to slight differences in the values of resistors and capacitors (there marked the same but have up to 5% differences) and those values change with temperature... Whats this mean well it means that there is almost always a set of LEDs on.. and I think the slight rotation in timing gives it a cool "random" feel.

If anyone wants the schematics and/or the board layout for Eagle cad let me know I'll send it to you. Just remember that this board as never been tested (I went back and looked, seems I totally redid the board drawing after the last one failed and didn't remember doing it.. so I need to etch one and test it yet.. This time it's a single sided board way easier to make). As always If there's any questions let me know I'll do my best to answer them :)

CBB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So what have I been doing??? for the last few weeks?

Well, The questions got me thinking about the lighting control board again...
So I built one of the new design.... Good news the new design works great!

I also upgraded my PCB fab to photo etching, by creating a UV LED array for exposing the boards. (I'm going to go in depth with this process soon with a tut on it!!! much nicer boards and it's easy and cheaper to do now that you don't need special expensive lights...more on that later)

Here's the board bottom (the white jumper wire is there because I accidentally cut one of the traces when I was using a razor to clean off the resin from the soldier).

On the top you notice some copper traces, I used some copper tape for these, it's much neater then wires everywhere.

Also I wanted to share with you all what you've been waiting for... The full PacknPlay cover in place. It's not complete yet I'm testing some new lighting effects, Once I know how they look and I get them installed it will be done!

And the whole thing:

So Soon I'll have the lighting tested, I'll share that as we go. My goal is to have this PackNPlay complete by early June, which is when I move to Phoenix , AZ... prepping for the move will be taking more and more of my time so this will be a challenge! But it's time for this project to be completed :)

As always let me know what you all think!

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Nice! What size monitor is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

it's a 15" monitor. but I only use it at Lan parties. Normally I'm rocking a viewsonic 24 Wide screen :) but it just wouldn't fit unto the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 am 

Hey fellow road warrior.

Glad to see someone who travels a lot is also looking to take their rig on the road (and who plays BF2142).

Right now I go on the road for 3-5 weeks at a time and have downsized my rig. I went from a full tower case with watercooling to a Shuttle PC (I got an openbox model off Newegg for pretty cheap). I don't want to pack my rig into a suitcase (being military I get free checked baggage when I fly, and most of my travel is via Econoline van... :( ) so I have a little more leeway with space.

I was looking at packing these things together:

Shuttle XP19 thin monitor (19"): 14"H x 17"W x 0.9"D
Shuttle SX48P2E: 12.8"(L) x 8.7"(W) x 8.3"(H)
SANS Digital Hard Drive Tower of Power Thing: 6.0" x 8.3" x 11.0"

My spatial thinking isn't that great but I believe I can cut it close with a Pelican 1650 (28.50" x 17.37" x 10.50" interior dimensions) or a Stormcase i2975.

I'm not planning on playing mine in the case, just transporting it in the case. I tried using the cardboard shipping boxes that came with these, but moving sites one a week and all the packup and teardown was a no-no.

Your build looks great!

PS, don't worry about getting your shit through airline security. You might be hasseled about it but I have looked around on various forums and you should be fine, as long as you can prove it works.

What are you doing for mouse and keyboard? Perhaps if you replaced your monitor with one like I linked you could afford to stow them behind the monitor? Go wireless//IR/Bluetooth? Attach the monitor to a the faceplate and then hinge it so that the monitor can swung up to allow you to access the peripherals?

How is your network connectivity? Most Hotels I am at have ethernet jacks, but a few only have wireless. I got a wireless N USB dongle that I have hooked up to a USB header on the MB inside of my Shuttle case for just such an occasion. You might have trouble with all of your aluminum, but maybe an antenna in the top of the ase around the lip of the lid?

Good work, keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Sorry it took me so long to post back.... We're moving and I've had some "personal life" issues so I've not been check the work logs for a few days.

My Keyboard and mouse are USB, the remote ones have too much latency (it can make a difference in a close lan game :) )

My network connection is 1 Gb copper, but I do have a wireless usb if I need in the hotel, I also piggy back to my cell phone when I'm away from a High speed connection....
The monitor that I have in the system now is only a few inches deep, and I can close the keyboard in the case between the covers and the screen... But I have to make sure There's some packing there or it's hard on the paint :)
Most of the time it's in the bag I carry to lans, with my spare hdds, and game cds, laptop, and camera.

I had looked at bigger cases in the beginning but was limited due to carry on restrictions.

Your setup sounds pretty sweet for a "portable" rig :) and the free checked helps!

CBB