Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sub $1100 Laptop for College
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am looking to purchace a laptop for college use.

I want to be able to play decent games and have ok battery life. I don't need anything too powerful, but i would like for it to last all four years of college.

Right now I am thinking about the Dell XPS m1530.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... =dhs&cs=19

I would like to know if you think this is a good value for the parts. I can find laptops with similar specs for slightly cheaper but i have been looking at reviews and i think the XPS is fairly good quality.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

the XPS 1530 is nowhere near high end especially for $1100, and to be honest, it has terrible value.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8044029168

Take a look at that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks

Also, what are your thoughts from buying refurbished? Are the trade offs worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:00 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Open box and refurbished are fine, BUT, look at the warranty first!! Often times, open box and refurbed laptops have short as hell warranties.

For example, there was a refurbished Gateway laptop on Tigerdirect I was looking at a few months ago. I had it in the card, and I was about to pull the trigger, but decided to look at the specs one last time. Towards the bottom, the 3 MONTH standard warranty caught my eye.. Chances are, the laptop will work GREAT the first six months, then it might fizzle out later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

If you want a laptop that will last 4 years, play close attention to build quality when buying a laptop for school. As in, how sturdy is the case, lid, hinges, etc.

I have seen many people run through laptops VERY quickly, because it is sharing space in a backpack with heavy books getting jostled and slowly crushed.

A laptop that mostly sits on a desk and travels on occasion is one thing. but routinely sharing space with heavy objects on a day to day basis = short life span. Even in a heavily padded targus laptop backpack compartment, and in a neoprene sleeve, I had a laptop quickly become eaten by law books.

A lid that flexes overly, or if you press on the back you can see the LCD change colors on that spot = very bad sign. Grab the corners of the chassis and twist a bit and see if there is any flex.

Not sure how the XPS stacks up, but Lenovo's are well known for their durability, and I have impressed with many (but not all) Asus models.