Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft IE 8
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm 

Oh my god...as a web designer i am disgusted with how this browser is. Esthetically pleasing, and a little faster than it's predecessor, however, all positives aside, this browser is slanderous and completely ass backwards. I have 2 images to prove such an accusation.
The website i have here is a PHP MySQL based website. Has a CSS drop-down menu, and basically the whole site is controlled by the CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) Now...here's the deal. It reads everything wrong, like IE6 does, where it doesn't see the dynamic width, or the proper code for CSS, it ignores certain codes by the looks of it.
This is the link to the way it SHOULD look (and as it does in their slanderous compatibility mode)

The default (incorrect way)

The reason i call the Compatibility mode slanderous, is because a standard user, (whom if they find compatibility mode, then i wouldn't be so pissed) does not find compatibility mode, and will not find it more than likely until instructed on how to do so, but what grinds me is their explanation for what compatibility mode is:
Quote:
Compatibility View: Websites designed for older browsers will often look better, and problems such as out-of-place menus, images or text will be corrected

The thing about that is, is that we're using the web 2.0 platform, basically. We're not using static html coding anymore, we're now using PHP MySQL for a more dynamic look. The visual is all completely controlled by the CSS. That calling me lazy and old news with something I completed less than 3 months ago, is stupid, and nobody has another way to do things other than the static Flash websites that cost way too much for most people (especially since the "recession" that i don't see or take part in) so really, Microsoft is trying to fix what wasn't broken in the first place. Internet Explorer 7 was great...worked well, was simple, and efficient. Why can't they do it right, and build off of 7 instead of ground up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Poll sucks. MS, Firefox, and Google are not open source. What you going to browse with then? And why are there Open Sauce votes at all, let alone leading?

Change the code of FF and distro it. You'll be fried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:42 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

huh? dude, you FireFox is definitely open source. see for yourself, and go to their FTP server and download the source code.
the wikipedia also agrees:
Quote:
Firefox source code is free and open source software, and is tri-licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPL), GNU General Public License (GPL), and the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL). These licenses permit anyone to view, modify and/or redistribute the source code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

But what if I use chrome?
Or Opera?
Or Safari? (jk)

But I do use chrome and opera though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

chrome is open source too... use the google :P
or wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_chrome

Post subject: Okay, Just Because I'm Feelin' Spunky...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:04 pm 

And, oh, my god - as a native speaker of the English language, I am disgusted with your grasp (and terrific misuse!) of the language!

Firstly, it's "aesthetic", not "esthetic" (no spell-check on your browser? Both IE8 and Firefox have one on my computer...).

And, "slanderous"? Really? You mean the browser is saying bad things about you? Is it ruining your reputation?! *gasp* D:

*sigh* OED Online: adjective; the use of statements (usually verbal) to defame, rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

And you go on to say that the internet browser (IE8) is "slanderous" (sic) because: a) it only works on some websites through the use of its "Compatibility Mode" (so, then...it works?), and b) some people are too stupid to either pay attention to the tutorial that IE8 gives when it's initially installed/run (which explains Compatibility Mode) or figure it out for themselves. Hrm. That seems to include the majority of folks surfing the web today, to include a great number of my family, silly non-technical fuckers. Love 'em, I do!

So, to recap: you're angry at the browser for having a solution to its inherent problem and, further, for trying to explain that solution to people who can't pay attention. Okay. Makes sense.

I'll agree (from my admittedly meager knowledge of web programming) that IE8's explanation of its deficiencies with certain websites leaves much to be desired, but nothing you said prior to your closing paragraph had anything at all to do with that. I cannot speak to the sea-change towards everything-Flash, but, really, all I can say in the end is: know where-from you argue; calm down a bit and, please, for the love of God and all that's holy - beg, borrow or STEAL a fucking dictionary!

Peace,
Fester

P.S.
Who the hell called you "lazy"?

"That calling me lazy and old news ..."

Did the mean old browser call you lazy?! Now THAT'S slander, my friend! :D

P.P.S.
And, yah - the poll does kinda suck. So, it's IE8 and...everybody else? Or, at least, Chrome and Firefox vs. Microsoft (the whole company? Or just the IE browser?), right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Ahem. Esthetically IS a word. You need to calm down. Here's the merriam webster definition right here. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/esthetically

Variant(s):
also es·thet·ic \es-ˈthe-tik, is-, British usually ēs-\ or aes·thet·i·cal Listen to the pronunciation of aesthetical or es·thet·i·cal \-ti-kəl\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
German ästhetisch, from New Latin aestheticus, from Greek aisthētikos of sense perception, from aisthanesthai to perceive — more at audible
Date:

1 a: of, relating to, or dealing with aesthetics or the beautiful <aesthetic theories> b: artistic <a work of aesthetic value> c: pleasing in appearance : attractive <easy-to-use keyboards, clear graphics, and other ergonomic and aesthetic features — Mark Mehler>2: appreciative of, responsive to, or zealous about the beautiful ; also : responsive to or appreciative of what is pleasurable to the senses
— aes·thet·i·cal·ly Listen to the pronunciation of aesthetically also es·thet·i·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Perhaps it's YOU that needs to grasp the language better?

Post subject: Re: Okay, Just Because I'm Feelin' Spunky...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:52 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

FesterSilently wrote:
And, oh, my god - as a native speaker of the English language, I am disgusted with your grasp (and terrific misuse!) of the language!

Firstly, it's "aesthetic", not "esthetic" (no spell-check on your browser? Both IE8 and Firefox have one on my computer...).

And, "slanderous"? Really? You mean the browser is saying bad things about you? Is it ruining your reputation?! *gasp* D:

*sigh* OED Online: adjective; the use of statements (usually verbal) to defame, rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

And you go on to say that the internet browser (IE8) is "slanderous" (sic) because: a) it only works on some websites through the use of its "Compatibility Mode" (so, then...it works?), and b) some people are too stupid to either pay attention to the tutorial that IE8 gives when it's initially installed/run (which explains Compatibility Mode) or figure it out for themselves. Hrm. That seems to include the majority of folks surfing the web today, to include a great number of my family, silly non-technical fuckers. Love 'em, I do!

So, to recap: you're angry at the browser for having a solution to its inherent problem and, further, for trying to explain that solution to people who can't pay attention. Okay. Makes sense.

I'll agree (from my admittedly meager knowledge of web programming) that IE8's explanation of its deficiencies with certain websites leaves much to be desired, but nothing you said prior to your closing paragraph had anything at all to do with that. I cannot speak to the sea-change towards everything-Flash, but, really, all I can say in the end is: know where-from you argue; calm down a bit and, please, for the love of God and all that's holy - beg, borrow or STEAL a fucking dictionary!

Peace,
Fester

P.S.
Who the hell called you "lazy"?

"That calling me lazy and old news ..."

Did the mean old browser call you lazy?! Now THAT'S slander, my friend! :D

P.P.S.
And, yah - the poll does kinda suck. So, it's IE8 and...everybody else? Or, at least, Chrome and Firefox vs. Microsoft (the whole company? Or just the IE browser?), right?

You made some good points, but they are all lost in your "get a dictionary newb" rant. Take a chill pill, seriously, I think you could contribute a lot more usefully if you Festered 50% more Silently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am 

Lol - you guys are right: I was a little overboard there and shoulda just stuck to the subject.

All apologies.

Peace. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:34 pm 

Dude, as soon as I found a FireFox add-on that let me access Microsoft Update without Explorer, I dumped IE like month old leftovers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:46 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Dude, you're not going to last long around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

likalaruku wrote:
Dude, as soon as I found a FireFox add-on that let me access Microsoft Update without Explorer, I dumped IE like month old leftovers.

Unfortunately many in the work environment don't have the option of using other browsers beyond MSIE. Additionally, the issue is not about a browser war but focused on the original post as to MSIE 8.0.

Ron