Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fancy screen effects
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Compiz, Aero, whatever. Does this annoy the HELL out of anyone else? It's pretty for a minute, but all these things drive me NUTS! I just want things to be simple and act instantly when I click on them. I don't need transitional effects, and all that sissy eye candy is a waste of resources.

How many of you (not talking to the casual dual booters. you don't count) actually use Compiz on a regular basis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I mostly use the cube on my laptop. Desktop space is at a premium on a 15.4" screen. I generally have netbeans open on one face, firefox on another, pidgin on yet another, and the last for floats. I find if pidgin conversations and firefox is on a different face than netbeans, I get more done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

UnLawFulGod wrote:
I mostly use the cube on my laptop. Desktop space is at a premium on a 15.4" screen. I generally have netbeans open on one face, firefox on another, pidgin on yet another, and the last for floats. I find if pidgin conversations and firefox is on a different face than netbeans, I get more done.

You don't need Compiz for that.Windows has the only DE I know of that doesn't have multiple desktops on the most basic level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:30 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I run Compiz on my Ubuntu 9.04 install, and it works just fine. I think it's pretty cool actually. Why do you find it annoying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:44 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I am a fan of Aero in Win7. Aero peak is win.

Honestly, I have never really spent the time to get a 3D desktop in Linux. It either didn't work with the car I had or I didn't feel like dual booting (VMware makes life so much easier. Especially when I am running two operating systems at one time).

I don't see how it is annoying... I used to turn off all the visual styles in XP (and do at work). But I kinda don't mind them anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:35 am 
Team Member
Team Member

xactly.

Why complain about something that can easily be turned off?

Post subject: Re: Fancy screen effects
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

yurimxpxman wrote:
Compiz, Aero, whatever. Does this annoy the HELL out of anyone else? It's pretty for a minute, but all these things drive me NUTS! I just want things to be simple and act instantly when I click on them. I don't need transitional effects, and all that sissy eye candy is a waste of resources.

How many of you (not talking to the casual dual booters. you don't count) actually use Compiz on a regular basis?

I don't mind them at all, I sit in front of a PC 8 to 10 hours a day (longer, depending on what I'm doing). It's nice to have some effects on the desktop, it seems less "cold" to me and I feel human when I'm working. Plus it's just nice to have it, if I don't want it, I turn it off. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I hated them at first ... but once my system was upgraded (from a single-core A64 to a Core2 Quad and from 1GB to 4GB), I stopped noticing the effects.

I did turn them down, though ... if the effect makes me wait for a UI control or new desktop to come up, I'm not interested. Efficiency!

However, the time it takes to spin to a new desktop is about the time it takes my eyes to track to the new focus point on the screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Not complaining about whether I have to use it or not. I don't. But I was wondering what other people thought of it.

Jipstyle wrote:
I hated them at first ... but once my system was upgraded (from a single-core A64 to a Core2 Quad and from 1GB to 4GB), I stopped noticing the effects.

I did turn them down, though ... if the effect makes me wait for a UI control or new desktop to come up, I'm not interested. Efficiency!

However, the time it takes to spin to a new desktop is about the time it takes my eyes to track to the new focus point on the screen.

Yeah, that is true. The things that bug me most are explosions when you close a window and stuff like that. If I hit the X, that means I don't want to see it anymore! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:46 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

yurimxpxman wrote:
The things that bug me most are explosions when you close a window and stuff like that. If I hit the X, that means I don't want to see it anymore! haha

Damn .. yeah, that would piss me right off.

I was annoyed enough when the window would shrink to the toolbar or 'disappear' ... slowly. With better hardware, they disappeared quickly enough that I didn't mind.

But anything that draws the eye ... like an explosion ... is a no-thank-you. I don't need distractions in my workplace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:24 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

My closing windows don't explode. They just... kinda.... I don't remember exactly, but they don't do anything fancy. The only reason I have it enabled is for the Avant Window Navigator dock at the bottom of the screen - a la OSX. It's really cool and much easier for me to use once I got it set up right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I liked the one that when I closed the window it caught on fire and burned up.
muahahahahahahah!

You can see it here on my youtube I made a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le3uswQlb0E

Maybe yuri remembers this? :wink:

*edit* I forgot to add the link

Last edited by -Lawless on Wed May 20, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Jipstyle wrote:
Damn .. yeah, that would piss me right off.

I was annoyed enough when the window would shrink to the toolbar or 'disappear' ... slowly. With better hardware, they disappeared quickly enough that I didn't mind.

But anything that draws the eye ... like an explosion ... is a no-thank-you. I don't need distractions in my workplace.

Compiz has options for all that stuff. I've never seen someone use Compiz on a daily basis, so I don't know what people normally have enabled. But people seem to be turned on by these gimmicks that aren't any help at all.

All those transparencies and stuff, I find distracting. I don't use my computer as a work of art (perhaps to create art, but computer in itself is not a work of art.. I wish now I hadn't bought lighted fans because they distract me and keep the room lit at night.)