Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why Linux?
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:05 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Why should I have a Linux OS? Is there any particular reason (other than "it's not Windows")?

Not being argumentative....just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:16 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I think a better way to ask your question would be more like "What advantages would using Linux as my OS give me?" It really depends on what you're doing with your computer, and it also depends on you.

How experienced with Linux are you? A newbie? A power-user?

What do you use your system for primarily?

The question you ask is far too broad to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:24 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Outside of the cost of my broadband and a DVD, you can't beat the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:36 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I honestly find that the best reason to try out Linux is simply because it is indeed, as you say, "not Windows." It's not better or worse. It's different.

If you're bored with Windows and looking for something new, I think that you would enjoy trying out Linux. One thing that got me to try out Linux was the Compiz GUI. Just search "Compiz" on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxfSwzhSn1c&feature=fvst

Some may say that Compiz is, however, a rather superficial reason to switch to Linux. What sets Linux apart from Windows is that it gives you much more control over every aspect of your OS. You can endlessly tweak it to your liking.

If you're into programming, the source code to Linux and to most programs that run on Linux is available to you, allowing you to write add-ons to add functionality to the OS and to these programs. If you're not into programming, others who are have written such add-ons and made them available for you to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Commodore wrote:
I honestly find that the best reason to try out Linux is simply because it is indeed, as you say, "not Windows." It's not better or worse. It's different.
Underlined for emphasis. Each is better at different things.

They both handle basic productivity about the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:23 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Why not?

It is free and it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 am 

For me the decision to switch to linux, was to get out of the mindless heard.

I was sick and tired of windows telling me I couldn't do things I wanted to do (this program has compatibility issues, windows will not run it; Cannot end process, access denied; this drive is not usable untill formatted etc, etc). In linux, everything is your decision. EVERYTHING. You can change anything you don't like, and refuse anything you feel you do not want.

There are no "crucial security patches" that require you to immediatly shut off your computer and wait an hour while it applies the patch to boot up. Linux dosen't require you to go through a "Genuine Advantage" check before it gives you access to things that you need to make your PC work. You don't have to wait half an hour on hold and pay 5 dollars and hour to get support, on linux its free and its fast. And best of all? ALL of this is free. Both Microsoft and third party developers will chargre you for absolutly everything they can. Linux, is free. And if you choose linux as your os, then you will be too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:41 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Why not?

It is free and it works.
Game support sucks? Lack of high grade specialized applications (I don't care what anybody says, GIMP != Photoshop)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Why not?

It is free and it works.
Game support sucks? Lack of high grade specialized applications (I don't care what anybody says, GIMP != Photoshop)?

Edit: It is free and it works for me. Satisfied? :P

I don't game on my PC .. my xbox cost less than a video card that'll need replacing in 6 months.

Every application that I require runs on linux. Gimp is more powerful than I need ... I certainly don't need photoshop. I've got all the dev tools I need other than OS-specific tools .. and I can't blame linux for not providing iPhone dev support .. that is the fault of those fruity Californians.

Quote:
I was sick and tired of windows telling me I couldn't do things I wanted to do (this program has compatibility issues, windows will not run it; Cannot end process, access denied; this drive is not usable untill formatted etc, etc). In linux, everything is your decision. EVERYTHING. You can change anything you don't like, and refuse anything you feel you do not want.

This is just silly. There are plenty of compatibility issues with linux. The HCL for linux is much smaller than Windows. You have to have KDE installed to run any KDE-based apps and widgets ... ditto for Gnome and g-widgets and apps. You do get to decide ... do what it takes to make your system work OR read obscure error messages. Your call. You can change anything .. unlike Windows, linux happily lets you bork your system on purpose.

Quote:
There are no "crucial security patches" that require you to immediatly shut off your computer and wait an hour while it applies the patch to boot up.

Linux definitely has the advantage here. While there ARE 'crucial security patches' ... I apply them almost daily .. they rarely require a reboot. Hooray for intelligent kernel design.

Quote:
Linux dosen't require you to go through a "Genuine Advantage" check before it gives you access to things that you need to make your PC work.

Of course not .. why would the check to see if you've paid for a free product?

Quote:
You don't have to wait half an hour on hold and pay 5 dollars and hour to get support, on linux its free and its fast. And best of all? ALL of this is free.

Really? What number do YOU call when your linux install breaks? You might have to pay for MS support .. but at least it exists!

Quote:
Both Microsoft and third party developers will chargre you for absolutly everything they can.

You make that sound like a bad thing. I think it is what puts food on my table and a roof over my head.

People need to be paid for the work that they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:28 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Edit: It is free and it works for me. Satisfied? :P

I don't game on my PC .. my xbox cost less than a video card that'll need replacing in 6 months.

Every application that I require runs on linux. Gimp is more powerful than I need ... I certainly don't need photoshop. I've got all the dev tools I need other than OS-specific tools .. and I can't blame linux for not providing iPhone dev support .. that is the fault of those fruity Californians.
For sure. It does work. But so does Windows. I was just pointing out that Linux isn't for everybody, and free doesn't mean it is the answer. But we know that, and we don't have to be told that :)

Jipstyle wrote:
Quote:

This is just silly.
Silly indeed. Linux tells you plenty of things you can't do. There are reasons that access is denied to things. This program has compatibility issues? At least it tells you! Better than just crashing.

Jipstyle wrote:
Quote:
There are no "crucial security patches" that require you to immediatly shut off your computer and wait an hour while it applies the patch to boot up.

Linux definitely has the advantage here. While there ARE 'crucial security patches' ... I apply them almost daily .. they rarely require a reboot. Hooray for intelligent kernel design.
WTF patches are you downloading that takes an hour to install and reboot? I haven't had that since, ever? Maybe if you count service packs, but they are HUGE. I would almost equate this to a new kernel + patches for Linux. Definitely requires a reboot.

Quote:
You don't have to wait half an hour on hold and pay 5 dollars and hour to get support, on linux its free and its fast. And best of all? ALL of this is free.
Linux support model is it's user base, which does work pretty well. But sometimes you just need to call somebody. I haven't spent hours on hold either.

Quote:
Both Microsoft and third party developers will chargre you for absolutly everything they can.
Jip wins again. I make a living by writing software, because somebody has put a value on what I create. Puts food on my table and a car in my garage. F/OSS is not a good business model. It is nice, but it not a way to make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Know how I know you guys are geeks?......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:11 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

-Lawless wrote:
Know how I know you guys are geeks?......... :wink:
STFU & DIAF :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

He's just jealous his geekpeen isn't as big as ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

bigtoyota479 wrote:
icwutudidthere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

bigtoyota479 wrote:

y-jess-iam :lol:

tis all good.
I love both OS's for there differences. I run Vista, Win7, Ubuntu, XP-MCE and Win2000 on the different machines I have.

For the most part Windows just works. It costs more but it works.
Linus takes some time to get things the way you want after a bit of a learning curve but once done, you will be generally satisfied.
Like said before, gaming ain't all that on Linux but I don't game much anymore.
I just wish Linux had a Media Center clone that was as easy to set up and make work. If they did I'd probably switch all of my systems.
3 are HTPC's.
I've tried installing Myth and even tried the Mythbuntu but can't really get things working. Mythbuntu gets to the "setup MythTv and just shows a bunch of blue boxes.....

Oh well maybe next release. Anyway both OS's have there pro's and con but it's been said over and over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

-Lawless wrote:
bigtoyota479 wrote:

y-jess-iam :lol:

tis all good.
I love both OS's for there differences. I run Vista, Win7, Ubuntu, XP-MCE and Win2000 on the different machines I have.

For the most part Windows just works. It costs more but it works.
Linus takes some time to get things the way you want after a bit of a learning curve but once done, you will be generally satisfied.
Like said before, gaming ain't all that on Linux but I don't game much anymore.
I just wish Linux had a Media Center clone that was as easy to set up and make work. If they did I'd probably switch all of my systems.
3 are HTPC's.
I've tried installing Myth and even tried the Mythbuntu but can't really get things working. Mythbuntu gets to the "setup MythTv and just shows a bunch of blue boxes.....

Oh well maybe next release. Anyway both OS's have there pro's and con but it's been said over and over.

Try XBMC or Boxee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

nmanguy wrote:
Try XBMC or Boxee.

Yet again I've been shown that my head is stuck in the sand....
I had no idea about those programs and after checking them out, I will try them on Linux and if I like them, I'll install on all of my systems!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:54 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Windows Media Center + XBOX. Unfortunately, it just works. All the linux media solutions I have tried have only kinda worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:07 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

CrashTECH wrote:
Windows Media Center + XBOX. Unfortunately, it just works. All the linux media solutions I have tried have only kinda worked.

I've been expirimenting with some success with Coherence to serve a directory of files over UPnP to a 360. I still have issues with the way it does music files, but the video half is nice. Then again, it is just a daemon for serving upnp (it's used in elisa too, but elisa doesn't work quite right for me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:05 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

smartcat99s wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

I've been expirimenting with some success with Coherence to serve a directory of files over UPnP to a 360. I still have issues with the way it does music files, but the video half is nice. Then again, it is just a daemon for serving upnp (it's used in elisa too, but elisa doesn't work quite right for me)
See, and that is kind of my point. All these different applications and methods for running media only kinda work. WMC and XBOX just work.

I like Linux, and I have used it for many different things include a production web server for two different companies. It does work. However, Linux on the desktop is NOT good enough for my daily usage. Unfortunately. Then again I haven't had to pay for either of my copies of Vista and I probably will get at least one copy of Win7 for free too (yay for freebies and giveaways @ conventions). So the cost differential is pretty moot for me as well.