Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless router
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

What brand name and model you you guys think I should get?
I want something that will allow me to play games, host lan parties and connect to an ethernet computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:30 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

I'm partial these days to Netgear's wireless router.

Post subject: Re: Wireless router
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:38 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

3rdegreeBurn wrote:
What brand name and model you you guys think I should get?
I want something that will allow me to play games, host lan parties and connect to an ethernet computer.

i like my Linksys very much. tho i'm having problems on the wireless side, i believe the issue is on the client, not the router.

heard great things about Netgear too, but never used them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:03 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

Just bought a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router (model number BEFW11S4) today infact. My dlink 1000AP bought the farm for some unknown reason.

60 bucks at staples and I couldn't be happier. It can be a bit tricky to get it configured at first but once you get over that initital hump the thing kicks ass.

I had a bit of problems getting the WEP encryption to work with my dlink dwl-650 nics but I seemed to fix that with a simple firmware upgrade on the linksys.

I'm not using the router features so I can't really comment on that though. My network is setup with the family desktop connected by a wire feeding dialup via windows xp ICS to the linksys router/wap and then my desktop and laptop using wireless cards. So DHCP, NAT, etc are all turned off in the router.

Here's an outdated picture of how the network is setup http://www.alanbarber.org/gallery/misc/index.php?image=network.jpg&d=d.html The basic layout/design is the same but the hardware is different now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:25 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Dexter wrote:
Just bought a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router (model number BEFW11S4) today infact. My dlink 1000AP bought the farm for some unknown reason.

I had a bit of problems getting the WEP encryption to work with my dlink dwl-650 nics but I seemed to fix that with a simple firmware upgrade on the linksys.

I'm not using the router features so I can't really comment on that though. My network is setup with the family desktop connected by a wire feeding dialup via windows xp ICS to the linksys router/wap and then my desktop and laptop using wireless cards. So DHCP, NAT, etc are all turned off in the router.

i don't think i'll buy another DLink ever again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:31 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

cigar3tte wrote:

i don't think i'll buy another DLink ever again.

Hmmm..I say the same thing about GM automobiles...anyway, I (like Dexter) just recently replaced my old D-Link 1000AP. Ran like a champ for 5 years..still works actually, cept I wanted the upgrade to G. I have had great luck with their products for years.

For me, the kitchen provides the msot central location for a wireless AP, so that is where my device must live. D-Link has a very aesthetically pleasing appearance (IMO) sompared to the goofy Blue/Black dual aentenna look Linksys has. Since the device must live on my kitchen counter, looks are important.

On a side note...for those of you (like me) who replaced a WAP with a router and already have a router, the DLink (as well as others I am sure) allow you to simply connect the Wireless router to your existing router by using the LAN port (instead of WAN) with a roll cable to the LAN port on your existing router...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:36 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1131

$60 802.11g router.

It's much nicer than the Netgear router I replaced.