Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cannot Load New Linux Versions onto my Desktop
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:18 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok the title is somewhat misleading...because I can get Linux Mint (last one I tried I think was Darnya)...but I feel somewhat left out of Ubuntu...because the newer versions won't load. (So far...I can get CentOSto load....but ANY new Debian offspring distros such as Mepis, Ubuntu,Dram Linux etc etc will not load.)
I first saw this problem whenever I had Ubuntu 7.04 installed....and as it installed updates....it would install a newer linux kernel....which was often, and it would not load.
My machine is a older (by today's standards)...a Hewlett Packard DX M2000 tower 2.8 gig Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of memory installed.
It also has onboard video...which is another problem. I have to leave it turned on...even tho I have a PCI video card installed. If I do not leave the onboard video turned on...again, the machine will not boot into linux.
Is it something with these new kernels???
I noticed that even Gnewsense without all the proprietary crap in the kernel (they use the libre version don't they?) won't boot.
These o/s's I have problems with installing on this machine DO however install on a older Pentium 3 Hewlett Packard that I have....so I am thinking it might have something to do with the kernel like jazzing with my CPU. Any ideas?

EDIT I can install Etch, and update that....but unless you have Unstable installed...Debian Stable is a little on the blah side...
Glenn Condrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:49 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I get the following error when I try to install Ubuntu 9.04

init rc-default main process (2931) terminated with status 127

Does anyone have any ideas?
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:57 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

how far do you get before you see that error? I assume you're trying to load via the livecd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:10 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Try flags on the init. APCI=oldboot (or off). And worth a shot to do Verbose.

Most errors I get on installs are from MD5 sums, or burning the ISO too fast. But on older machines, the APCI and such give me issues for the install that can be re-activated later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:27 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Didn't work, I get a squashfs file error...(using Ubuntu 9.04)
This after loading restricted drivers....
Looks like I might be confined to older versions of linux for the moment.
Well, that and running CentOS. Its 'alright', but not what I'd choose for myself or anyone else.
I was spoonfed on Debian distros from my earliest days learning to use linux (Xandros, Dreamlinux, Debian/Ubuntu, Sidux)

The folks over Sidux suggested I take ACPI completely out of the equation (acpi=off) and doing that (while running the Sidux livecd) I get the rc-init error I reported ealrlier. They also suggested to burn these iso's slower....I have a 16X burner...and many of sidux's stuff is highly compressed...so I burned these iso's at 4X...
I am beginning to wonder if maybe modern linux kernels are dropping support for older machines. I think I read that somewhere....not sure (shrugs)
In which case it SHOULD be possible to download a linux iso...unzip it...remove the linux kernel....insert a older kernel that has been known to load in the past and rezip the iso into bootable, burnable form.
Think that might work??
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

EarthBoundMisfit wrote:
I am beginning to wonder if maybe modern linux kernels are dropping support for older machines. I think I read that somewhere....not sure (shrugs)

Not actively anyways. Since the kernel is under constant development, so if no one can provide updates, the driver gets dropped. There might be a skill set that left with a developer that causes this or maybe just a rare piece of hardware that's simply not worth an effort. With what you have, that's fairly new stuff, so I doubt this is the case.

EarthBoundMisfit wrote:
In which case it SHOULD be possible to download a linux iso...unzip it...remove the linux kernel....insert a older kernel that has been known to load in the past and rezip the iso into bootable, burnable form.
Think that might work??
Glenn

heh...sounds easier then it actually is.

I believe it's just bad burns too, or your drive is just having issues reading stuff. Have you tried to install via the alternate CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

no, but then again....Sidux doesn't have one of those....and neither does Linux Mint....2 of my other favorite distros

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm sorry..I thought you brought up the failed installation of Ubuntu with at least a tangible error for a reason...

I'm still thinking CD issues myself, or perhaps a memory issue as I'm thinking either a) something is reading correctly from the disk, or b) it's not unpacking right (as a result of the high compression)

I suppose you can add a debug parameter in there to get something a little more verbose. Seeming how mint uses SElinux, I'd be apt to try to pass a selinux=0 (I remember having headaches with that on installation in Fedora)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:53 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

yah, thats where it gets tricky.
I have CentOS 5.3 installed..I want either Sidux or Ubuntu.
As I said I have burned those at slower speeds to no avail. I've tried turning acpi off (I can do that thru the BIOS if I have to)..nothing works.
The thing is its only with these new versions of Linux that seem to be based on Debian (I had the same problem installed gNewsense).
I would assume its something new in the linux kernel not agreeing with my system...except that gNewsense uses a libre linux kernel (free from proprietary driver crap)

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:06 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I downloaded Ubuntu
s alternate install cd....and it did install.
I got a rc-init error similar to the one I encountered earlier...but with different numbers.

I have since reinstalled CentOS 5.2 and upgraded to 5.3. I should feel fortunate...because I can still run linux on my computer...just not what I am used to.
I have to relearn a new way of doing things...its a little more complicated getting ntfs-3g to run in CentOS for instance. (If you want to run fdisk -l...you have to su -....that damned dash is most important or you will get a command not recognized error)

Plus it installed the proper ati X1300 video driver upon install...which only sidux managed to do from earlier linux installs.
Add to that CentOS is pretty rock solid (it should be...since it is a carbon copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux)..I guess I can deal with how bland it is sometimes.
But I'd still like to be able to install new versions of linux without installing it in VMWare in Windows.

Thanks to the people who responded and tried to help...I just couldn't get it going...
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

EarthBoundMisfit wrote:
I can still run linux on my computer...just not what I am used to.

Yet another downfall of Linux. To accomplish the same thing in one Distro varies in another....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:15 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I was reading on another forum...Debian I think.,...where another user was having the same problem.
Someone suggested having the hard drive's jumper settings set to Master as opposed to Cable Select.
I have two hard drives...and two DVD burners...all set to Cable Select.
Could this be my problem???

Sidux's new live install cd's freeze at "/dev waiting to be poulated".

Glenn

Post subject: SOLVED IT!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:38 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I do not know if this will solve my Ubuntu install issues...but it has worked with Sidux's newer 2009 release.
I set onboard video back to the computer...taking my add on PCI ATI card completely out of the loop.
After rebooting...I did not get the /dev waiting to be populated error...it went straight thru to the desktop.
Now maybe I can install...and set video to vesa and switch back to my ATI card.
Thanks to the people who responded.

Glenn

Post subject: Spoke to f*ing soon
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok so I installed Sidux onto my computer....
Rebooted...and set the Linux video settings to use the Vesa driver.
Rebooted again...and reset the video back to my addon PCI ATI card.
When the computer tried to boott into linux....I got and endless screen of error codes that scrolled faster than I could read it...
Back to the old drawing board...Viva la CentOS! LOL

Glenn