Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:27 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

All I know is that 9.04 works with my laptop's Atheros wifi card right off the disc, something the previous versions could not do.

Going to make a dual boot on my laptop just for options.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Anyone else installed the restricted drivers for their video card? Every time I activate them, my install gets all jacked up. It becomes unresponsive, locks up, even if I restart X through the tty command window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

They installed fine for me (GeForce 6150 integrated).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

They installed fine for me too, but I didn't see any improvement. I don't think the fglrx drivers Ubuntu installed for me apply to my HD4870.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

that Linux guy wrote:
I don't think the fglrx drivers Ubuntu installed for me apply to my HD4870.

What makes you say that?

I'd find it hard to believe that X can handle that card with the radeonhd modules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:45 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

furball146 wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
I don't think the fglrx drivers Ubuntu installed for me apply to my HD4870.

What makes you say that?

I'd find it hard to believe that X can handle that card with the radeonhd modules.

Last time I read up on the topic, the fglrx drivers that Ubuntu has only supports up the HD3xxx series, and I would've had to install the Xorg drivers directly from AMD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:24 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I guess I was making the assumption that the sources should be the same in either place. Didn't realize that ATI didn't host a repository for Ubuntu.

FWIW, when opensuse 11.1 came out, I seem to recall it took a little bit of time for an option for ATI to appear.

I guess you're doing the --buildpkg with their stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

that Linux guy wrote:
They installed fine for me too, but I didn't see any improvement. I don't think the fglrx drivers Ubuntu installed for me apply to my HD4870.

I have a 4870 as well. Not sure what's going on, but once I load the drivers that Ubuntu has, my screen locks up and no matter what I do, the desktop will always locks up on me.

I'll try the drivers at ATI's site and see if they're any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I downloaded them yesterday but haven't installed them. I'm waiting for a job interview at the moment, but I too will give them a try when I get and I'l report back what happens.

When I installed the drivers from Ubuntu, after a bit more playing around, I noticed that the Display config GUI breaks, and the system likes to locks up after booting. Uninstalling still gives me Compiz effects, and every feels much more stable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:59 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

OK, after installing the Catalyst 9.4 drivers from AMD, I didn't have the same problems as I did before. Compiz runs fine, and everything seems to work.

Now if I could just figure out how to get flash and sound to stop being so annoying, I'd be lovin' this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

What are they doing?

and x64 or i386?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

furball146 wrote:
What are they doing?

and x64 or i386?

I'm not sure. How do I check?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

uname -a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:58 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

furball146 wrote:
uname -a

Oh, I thought you meant the drivers? I'm dumb. :roll:

I'm running 32bit myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:53 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

nah :)

My initial thought would be to add yourself to the audio system group, but you really haven't said anything as to what it's doing. I've seen some pretty squirrely things with Pulse Audio (and I only see things get wierd when I run VLC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:23 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

furball146 wrote:
nah :)

My initial thought would be to add yourself to the audio system group, but you really haven't said anything as to what it's doing. I've seen some pretty squirrely things with Pulse Audio (and I only see things get wierd when I run VLC)

Well, my audio setup is my Audigy SE > Denon AVR-600 (old as hell) > spare Teac speakers I found in the garage. On Windows, I have to have my master volume around 10%, and I adjust all my volume through the speaker. When I'm using headphones, I've always reached around ( :lol: ), and plugged them in to the sound card directly, and use my music player or game's volume control.

Well, in Ubuntu, no matter which volume slider I found, it seemed like the master volume never changed. I was using autodetect on everything with no help. After changing from autodetect to PulseAudio, I could get listenable sound if I put all my volumes down to the minimum without muting them. Only then could I use my receiver's volume knob to control anything.

When I first fired up the system and heard the God-awful sound of my speakers crackling with some drum beats, I immediately fired up a terminal and tried

sudo alsaconf

That didn't work. I tried alsamixer, but it was watching my onboard audio and not my sound card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:20 pm 

Have you tried disabling your on-board audio in the bios? Doing that for me solved my sound problems on an earlier version of Ubuntu for me as the on-board and the sound card would seem to conflict with each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

that Linux guy wrote:
OK, after installing the Catalyst 9.4 drivers from AMD, I didn't have the same problems as I did before. Compiz runs fine, and everything seems to work.

Now if I could just figure out how to get flash and sound to stop being so annoying, I'd be lovin' this.

Hey Linux, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You downloaded the ATI drivers from the ATI website and not the drivers available from Ubuntu... That right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:45 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

spacedogg wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:

Hey Linux, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You downloaded the ATI drivers from the ATI website and not the drivers available from Ubuntu... That right?

Correct. I downloaded directly from AMD. Catalyst 9.4 vs the latest fglrx.

Post subject: jaunty jackalope or jonesin' crapalope?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 pm 

I am still undecided. I upgraded from 8.1 to 9.04 and normally pull stuff down at about 400 kbps. This 280 meg muther took 9 hours off of the mirror.anl.gov site and another hour to re-index everything after I had to delete the tracker cache file on my hard drive.

It kinda went like this:

Problem: Partial upgrade does not work in Jaunty. (1 package is going to be removed. 3 new packages are going to be installed. 1 package is going to be upgraded.) It wants to remove libdb4.5-java and, install libdb4.6-java, install libdb4.6-java-gcj, install liblrdf0 and Upgrade liblucene2-java. I then click on "Start Upgrade" and I get nothing. The window disappears and that is all.

Problem: Click on Applications, System Tools, Root Terminal. Type in the correct password. Password screen fades away as per usual. Then nothing happens. Root terminal won't load even though a standard terminal works just fine.

Problem: Compiz 3d deformation setting defaults to Cube. There is no cube setting in compiz. Only cylinder and spherical. Cannot make cube go away, only the grey background dissapears.

Problem: NVIDIA X Server Settings are set to auto for resolution and refresh. Changed settings from 1600 x 1200 to 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz. However, every time I reset my computer, the settings have reverted back to "auto"

Problem: Tracker has corrupt cache. Deleted tracker cache and re-indexed everything.

I am upgrading from 8.10 TO 9.04 on an AMD Sempron 3100+ with an nforce 250 Gigabyte mobo with a Gig of ram, an NVIDIA 7600 GS 8x AGP card, Nokia 445Xi monitor and two 320 Gig Seagate SATA drives.

My main reason for upgrading was going to be putting ext4 on these two Seagate drives. Now I read that I should probably hold off until the NEXT release and not even use ext4. And this comes from the blog of the guy who was responsible for the project.

At the point at which I have to fall back to 8.10 and then restore all of my data, I will be taking a long hard look at everything from PClinux to OpenSuse.

This particular debacle reminds me of KDE 4.0, which is why I am still running GNOME.

And it's too bad really. After Hardy and Intrepid, I was really looking forward to 9.04.

If there is a distro out there that detects my linksys card as sweetly as Ubuntu did, I would like hear back from people on that issue because, it is a very BIG deciding factor for me personally.

...but as the old saying goes, "Buy the ticket, Take the Ride" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

...but another good old saying goes like this, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." ~ Robert Blake.

Last edited by cronjob on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.