Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Very Lost Newb...Please Help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:26 pm 

I finally decided to try to make the plunge from windows. Well not totally, but I did install Ubuntu 8.10 desktop in a second computer last night. I definitly like the differences. I played around with Ubuntu before, but never got the hang of it, but now I decided I want to leanr it more. Anyway, here is my problem.

I like to play games on pogo.com, which requires the Java Runtime Enviroment. Easy enough on windows. But now I'm at a loss.

When I go to download "java" , it saves to the desktop. And according to the Java website, I have to install it. Thats where I get clueless and lost.

Here are the instructions:

To install the Linux (self-extracting) file Follow these instructions:

1. At the terminal: Type:
su
2. Enter the root password.
3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
cd <directory path name>
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
cd /usr/java/

Note about root access: To install Java in a system-wide location such as /usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install the Java in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.
4. Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:
chmod a+x jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.bin
5. Verify that you have permission to execute the file. Type:
ls -l

Make sure the installation file has executable permission

6. Start the installation process.Type:
./jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.bin

This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.

type YES to agree to the license agreement

7. Java is installed into its own directory. In this example, it is installed in the /usr/java/jre1.6.0_<version> directory. When the installation has completed, you will see the word Done.

The installation completes

8. Java is installed in jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory under the current directory. In this case, Java is installed in the /usr/java/jre1.6.0_<version> directory. Verify that the jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory is listed under the current directory. Type:
ls

Verify the installation filename

The installation is now complete. Skip to the Enable and Configure section. To install the Linux RPM (self-extracting) file Follow these instructions:

1. At the terminal: Type:
su
2. Enter the root password.
3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
cd
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
cd /usr/java

Note about root access: To install Java in a system-wide location such as/usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install Java in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.
4. Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:
chmod a+x jre-6u<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin
5. Start the installation process. Type:
./jre-6u<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin

This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.

type YES to agree to the license agreement

6. The installation file creates jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.rpm file in the current directory.

RPM unpacking completes

7. Run the RPM command at the terminal to install the packages. Type:
rpm -iv jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.rpm
8. Java is installed in jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory under the current directory. In this case, Java is installed in the /usr/java/jre1.6.0_<version> directory. Verify that the jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory is listed under the current directory. Type:
ls

Verify the installation filename

The installation is now complete. Go to the Enable and Configure section.

"su" doesn't work, I try the "sudo", i try to follow what their instructions say, but all it does is install a folder on the desktop, and I can't figure any of it out. Apparently I can get the thing to install, just not where it should go to be useful.

Can anyone put this into a sort of English that I can understand? Or is this one of them simple tests that tell me I should stick with windows?

So far, I like Ubuntu, and would be willing to completely switch, but I'm stuck on this little gem.

Sorry for the long post, and if I missed this in a search, sorry for that too.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Ooops, I forgot, this is for Firefox in Ubuntu, if that matters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:34 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

You've got the wrong file, bud, that's why all the issues. RPM files won't work. There's a quick and easy way. CHeck this out, and follow the directions. Should be up and running in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wait a sec...Java should already be there. Well at least the GJC should be there.

Is there some specific issue that's leading you down the road to download directly from sun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:47 pm 

furball146 wrote:
Wait a sec...Java should already be there. Well at least the GJC should be there.

Is there some specific issue that's leading you down the road to download directly from sun?

Last night when I logged into Pogo, it kept telling me that java wasn't installed and that I needed to put it in.

Now right after I posted this, I went back to pogo, to see if they had any idiot proof instructions, and everything worked fine. So maybe I missed something. Granted, I did re-install Ubuntu since last night. I thought I had too much junk floating around.

Anyway, thanks for the quick replies.

And bigtoyota, thanks for the link. I saved it, just in case.