Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Writing essays with my mouth?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:40 am 

Hey guys,

I recently broke most of my fingers while surfing (smashed into a mini coral reef) but i have a lot of typing to do. Not very easy with 3 fingers i feel like someones grandma learning to type. I know that you can use a microphone to type but have little info about it. Can some one help me out, and it would make a nice addition to my rig :).

Thanks Again
- Willie-b

Post subject: Re: Writing essays with my mouth?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 am 
Million Club
Million Club

One of the voice recognition programs is called Dragon Naturally Speaking, currently owned by Nuance.

Depending on the version, a headset mic will be included, but I have used other makes and models without problems.

The software can be used for dictation, speaking the text, and navigating around menus by voice instead of a mouse.

http://www.nuance.com/

Prices start at about $50 for the low end and $100 for the preferred version, there are legal and medical versions as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:03 am 
Northwood
Northwood

if you have vista, it has built in speech recognition. just click start and type in "speech"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

guoruiwu1994 wrote:
if you have vista, it has built in speech recognition. just click start and type in "speech"
XP too, but its harder to find :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:32 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

willie...Not that I have info on Voice to Text programs, but this might come in handy: Do you have a friend that can type or take shorthand?

I went into the U, officially, with some messed up hands. I had this really nice girl take shorthand for me there for a month or so. That recording and notes were acceptable by the professor given my circumstances. It won't pass during the thesis though...if that's coming up.

But as a Frosh, I'd tell you to talk to teh man and see what he/she'll accept as an essay. The point isn't getting stuff on paper, it's getting a point across by all means necessary. Otherwise, you'd be force to use black ink and lined leger...not typing on a computer, use all it's tools, and eventually print it out.

You're graded based on intent and knowledge I'd hope, which is a shift from HS. Most of my input was based on giving links to internal findings and conversation, and the point was made we had an angle, and actual results. An Essay, to me, is summing all that up. If short hand is needed, it's no different than giving a link to discussions or known findings and facts. The vast majority of my career and later progress in computing after graduation was based in those very linked conversations and findings. (Not Wikipedia crap...schools have .edu boards for classes to use as a forum, and it's us talking outside of class about what we're doing while the others are out puking up cheap beer).

I just don't think you're screwed by not being able to type. If that were true, Steven Hawking would fail College? (Oh, and use that name and example in your discussion with your professor...it has weight)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 am 

You can also use online speech to text service programs like speechtotextservice. Here you just have to record your voice, upload that audio file on website. And then you will get it transcript back.:)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm 

rboezeman wrote:
One of the voice recognition programs is called Dragon Naturally Speaking, currently owned by Nuance.

Depending on the version, a headset mic will be included, but I have used other makes and models without problems.

The software can be used for dictation, speaking the text, and navigating around menus by voice instead of a mouse.

http://www.nuance.com/

Prices start at about $50 for the low end and $100 for the preferred version, there are legal and medical versions as well.

Just want to share this as I have the same problem couple of months ago and also ask help in some forums. And these all wrapped up to my conclusion.

I agree with Tanvi by using online speech to text services so you can convert audio files to text document easily and its more reliable than downloaded software.

Dragon is the most commonly used but can't be taken for professional purposes since you still have to train it.

You may also try a service like http://www.speechtotextservice.com/ or you can hire in elance, freelance, odesk, etc.

But one thing is for sure. As of the present technology in transcription, still nothing is free, unless you still do the work.

Hope this adds up FYI. :wink: