Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone familiar with repairing corrupted file systems?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:10 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all,

So, a friend of the family needed my help today to get back about 300 pictures from her 2GB SD card which she took over the course of about 3 months.

I ran photorec on the disk, found 1 image, which happened to be a deleted image.

She claims that she was at class teaching with a teacher's aid when she was transferring the images to the laptop and she's required to leave the room for time to time and when she came back the images were nowhere to be found.

Now, I happen to know that even if she did a quick-format or especially a "Delete All" the images would still be there, only the file headers would have been removed, simply allowing the data to be overwritten. But there was only the 1 image.

So, then I ran testdisk on the card and found that it had a mismatch of heads / cylinders something about 255 and FAT, I'll get that error back once I switch back to a Linux environment.

I have since cloned the disk onto the HDD as an ISO using dd. I've got one clone of the whole drive, and one of just the partition (for ease of mounting and such). I also made a backup of the cloned drive.

So, I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. It's obviously got issues with the CHS settings. Right now there appears to be 245 Cylinders, which looks odd, according to what I've read that's typically 240 or 255. It's got 255 Heads, and 63 Sectors, IIRC it's 512B per sector, but don't count me on that.

I can manipulate the geometry using photorec temporarily before doing a recovery. Just as an odd guess I plugged in 255 for Cylinders and tried, turned up 1 image. Plugged in 240 for Clyinders and IIRC it turned up nothing.

I'm lost, someone help me out!!!

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:40 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I wish I could, 'boz, but I've got no idea. :(

Didn't want you to think that we're ignoring you, so consider this a gentle bump in the hopes that someone will have something helpful to say :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:00 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I know we talked a little bit about this before on another issue you had. Unfortunately my "skills" and "knowledge" were expended there.