Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finally downgraded to XP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Since me and my dad got our Dell XPS M1530 and XPS M1330, we hated Vista. So yesterday i was just googling and found Windows XP drivers for both laptops off of a forum called Laptopreview or something like that.

They both work great, it's much faster plus there's more ram and hard drive space avalible to the laptops.

The only problem i ran into on my M1530 is in the device manger in the label "other devices" i found "Base System Device" and there is 3 of them. I have no clue what it could possibly be. But everything is running fine, it doesn't seem like "base system device" affects anything but i want to know what it is.

Specs:
Intel core duo T5750 at 2.00Ghz
4gb Ram shown up as 3.50GB
320GB WD cavier hard drive
Nvidia 8600GT at 512MB
windows xp sp3 slipstreamed using Nlite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:08 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Does your laptop have a card reader and, if so, is it working properly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

yeah, it does, it even shows up in the device manger. I haven't tried a card in it though. I'm starting to wonder if it's maybe the HDMI port or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

If everything is working, I wouldn't worry about it.

On a side note, why do you hate vista? I was pleasantly surprised on how nice vista has become after I bought my new laptop about 2-3 months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:21 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

it always gives stupid yes no messages, it's slow, and also it can be confusing to use sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:57 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

The stupid Yes/No messages is the UAC. You really should have disabled that.

If you didn't clean out all the extra Dell garbage, that's what makes it slow. I actually find Vista a bit faster than XP for some things.

Ok you got me with the confusing part. There's some things that just didn't need to be touched at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i did uninstall the dell junk. But i'm happy with XP and i don't plan on turning back to vista. i'm waiting for windows 7 to come out, and then i'll probably move up to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

beteks wrote:
i did uninstall the dell junk. But i'm happy with XP and i don't plan on turning back to vista. i'm waiting for windows 7 to come out, and then i'll probably move up to that.

You could try the beta .. I find it runs better than XP on my netbook. As an added bonus, 7 uses Vista drivers .. so you can probably get everything running properly without unidentified devices. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

how stable is 7? can i at least do light gaming on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Heck, I'm running the 64-bit beta and I play all my games on it. Everything from Steam games, to Far Cry2, to Crysis, warhead, COD4, you name it. I've even got my PSX and SNES emulators working on it so I can play all of my classics!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

hmm maybe i'll give it a shot. i'll probaly try it over the weekend.

Post subject: Re: Finally downgraded to XP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:12 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

beteks wrote:
Since me and my dad got our Dell XPS M1530 and XPS M1330, we hated Vista. So yesterday i was just googling and found Windows XP drivers for both laptops off of a forum called Laptopreview or something like that.

They both work great, it's much faster plus there's more ram and hard drive space avalible to the laptops.

OK this piqued my interest. I have a XPSM1530 and a XPSM1330

The M1530 came with Vista 32 bit, the M 1330 came with Vista 64 bit.

In neither case can i really see XP (which is only stable in 32 bit) giving you more RAM, (equal in 32 bit vs 32 bit sure but more?)

How did you manange that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

what i mean't there was that Vista was using about 1gigs + of ram, but with xp it only uses about 200-300MB and up depending on the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:26 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

beteks wrote:
what i mean't there was that Vista was using about 1gigs + of ram, but with xp it only uses about 200-300MB and up depending on the program.

Odd i just cheked Task manager in my vista x64 sp1

Kernal Memory 327mb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

windows 7 is to vista what XP SP2 was to XP.

i've been using vista since it came out. i love it. i also have been using windows 7 and it's also great. it makes me laugh a little when i hear people hating on vista. kinda just shake my head and move along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I had to put up with Vista that came preinstalled in my Asus N10J-A1, until I replaced the HDD with an SSD and upgraded to XPpro.

It was like a whole new computer. Frame rates in some games tripled and everything was noticeably quicker.

Of course the SSD was largely responsible but I'm sure the OS played a big part. Frame rates aren't as dependant on storage speed as CPU and GPU performance and the GPU was the same. It was that bloated resource glutton Vista (the Norton of operating systems) that was eating all my CPU cycles.

A week of enduring Vista reminded me of why I hated it so much when it first came out. That time I really tried to learn to like it and used it for over a month before upgrading to XP.

The GUI is ugly as sin, UAC is annoying, performance is slow, many apps are incompatible and many things that have been standard since Win95 have been changed for no reason. (For some reason the file folder icons rotated 90 degrees so they're spilling their contents really bugs me. What kind of moron would hold a folder that way?)

The only real improvement in Vista seems to be in some security issues, but that's not enough to justify all the crap.

Hopefully Windows7 will be to Vista what XP was to ME.

After being shaken down for Vista, Microsoft owes me. Twice in fact, once for ME and once for Vista.

it makes me laugh a little when i hear people liking vista. kinda just shake my head and move along.

Then again, I have a friend who still uses ME and thinks it was better than 98SE or XPsp2. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:48 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

JimboToronto wrote:
I had to put up with Vista that came preinstalled in my Asus N10J-A1, until I replaced the HDD with an SSD and upgraded to XPpro.

It was like a whole new computer. Frame rates in some games tripled and everything was noticeably quicker.

Of course the SSD was largely responsible but I'm sure the OS played a big part. Frame rates aren't as dependant on storage speed as CPU and GPU performance and the GPU was the same. It was that bloated resource glutton Vista (the Norton of operating systems) that was eating all my CPU cycles.

A week of enduring Vista reminded me of why I hated it so much when it first came out. That time I really tried to learn to like it and used it for over a month before upgrading to XP.

The GUI is ugly as sin, UAC is annoying, performance is slow, many apps are incompatible and many things that have been standard since Win95 have been changed for no reason. (For some reason the file folder icons rotated 90 degrees so they're spilling their contents really bugs me. What kind of moron would hold a folder that way?)

The only real improvement in Vista seems to be in some security issues, but that's not enough to justify all the crap.

Hopefully Windows7 will be to Vista what XP was to ME.

After being shaken down for Vista, Microsoft owes me. Twice in fact, once for ME and once for Vista.

it makes me laugh a little when i hear people liking vista. kinda just shake my head and move along.

Then again, I have a friend who still uses ME and thinks it was better than 98SE or XPsp2. Go figure.

That is Asus' fault. Windows Vista on an Atom isn't going to go well. A dual core CPU is basically needed for the OS by itself.

If you haven't used Vista on a normal PC with a Core 2 or Phenom, I suggest trying it out. You'd be surprised on how nice it is :)