Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for specific Netbook... has anyone seen one?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 am 

I'm a college commuter(Computer Science major) and am looking at getting a Netbook this summer. I was curious what anyone else has used or would recommend. Any details on what you use would be helpful, but the specs of what I'm looking for are below. Thanks

OS: Linux - preferred for programming in classes and safer web surfing
CPU: don't care - something decent
RAM: 2gb preferred
Wireless: 802.11n - if I'm getting a netbook i want it to have good net...
HDD: ~30gb SSD - wouldn't mind more, but for price difference I'll stay small

I have a good gaming desktop, so the only use of this will be for taking to college and bringing back. It will also be for my programming assignments and lots of web surfing when I'm bored, thus 2gb RAM. I also would like at least 5 hrs of battery, even though I actually only need about 3. At home I'll hook up external HDD/Flash drive, keyboard, and mouse, so at least 3 USB ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Did you take a look at what was being discussed over here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89995

Post subject: Re: Looking for specific Netbook... has anyone seen one?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

gundam1989 wrote:
I'm a college commuter(Computer Science major) and am looking at getting a Netbook this summer. I was curious what anyone else has used or would recommend. Any details on what you use would be helpful, but the specs of what I'm looking for are below. Thanks

OS: Linux - preferred for programming in classes and safer web surfing
CPU: don't care - something decent
RAM: 2gb preferred
Wireless: 802.11n - if I'm getting a netbook i want it to have good net...
HDD: ~30gb SSD - wouldn't mind more, but for price difference I'll stay small

I have a good gaming desktop, so the only use of this will be for taking to college and bringing back. It will also be for my programming assignments and lots of web surfing when I'm bored, thus 2gb RAM. I also would like at least 5 hrs of battery, even though I actually only need about 3. At home I'll hook up external HDD/Flash drive, keyboard, and mouse, so at least 3 USB ports.

From what you describe an Asus EeePC 901 would be a perfect fit.

It has 802.11n, bluetooth, 8 hours battery life, SSDs and and three USB2 ports and is available in Linux.

It's extremely portable and rugged, although it's a little too wide to fit in most pockets.

The only issue might be the total 20GB SSD capacity, but there are high-speed SSD modules for the Eee made by third-party suppliers like Runcore and Super Talent, which offer a substantial performance increase (125GB/s reads, 95MB/s writes) and capacities up to 128GB.

As for the 2GB of RAM, most "net"books come with a single gigabye due to Microsoft limiting XP licenses to 'books with 1GB or less.

Upgrading the SODIMM to 2GB is easy, doesn't void the warranty and costs about $20.

There is also a version with internal 3G and a faster SSD, but it lacks bluetooth and has only 802.11g.

Learn more here:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 am 

I have an EEEPC 900HA. It has the Atom N270 processor, which is dual core and a 5400rpm 160gig hard drive and runs XP nicely. I played around with a friends that had a celeron processor and SSD and it was terribly slow. Not sure which part slowed things down the most, the processor or the hard drive. In the short time I played with it, anytime the hard drive had to be accessed everything slowed to a crawl.

I got mine off newegg for 299.99 with a 16gig usb drive free. I am very pleased with the purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:24 pm 

superdave33 wrote:
I have an EEEPC 900HA. It has the Atom N270 processor, which is dual core

The Intel Atom N270 is single core with Hyperthreading.

The Atom won't go dual-core until the Atom N3xx series.