Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Linux OS to install on USB Flash drive
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:53 pm 
Stewie Federation (2 Million)

I was given a laptop a few days ago that didn't have a hard drive inside it. I've been running it with an Ubuntu LiveCD for a while and I'm looking to go ahead and try something to install. Instead of buying a hard drive I wanted to install onto a flash drive. All I have right now is a 2GB one.

I tried to install Xubuntu but it would crash right at the end. I'm curently playing around with other distros like Linux Mint 6 and openSUSE but I was wondering which Linux distro would be best to run? All I want the laptop for is to plug into my TV, play music, and surf the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:02 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

It is probably crashing due to a lack of space .. the easiest solution is to buy a larger key (8 GB is best; 4GB is probably big enough).

Failing that, you'll need a smaller distro. Debian has a smaller footprint and is almost as easy to install as Ubuntu .. you could try that .. you'll still be tight on space, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:31 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Get a CF card and one of these. I assume once you install it you won't have to write to the hard drive much? Store your files on the flash maybe?

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_ ... midecf.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:07 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

CrashTECH wrote:
Get a CF card and one of these. I assume once you install it you won't have to write to the hard drive much? Store your files on the flash maybe?

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_ ... midecf.asp

These are awesome, but you have to be careful about which CF cards you buy. Some are pretty fast, others are slow as hell.

You could easily install any Linux OS on your flash drive, but you'd be limited to a base install. I know a base Debian install takes next to nothing in regards to space. The only trouble you might have with a base install is the lack of a GUI. I'm assuming you're new to Linux so you'll be wanting a GUI, right? If so, then you'll need to look at light weight ones like Enlightenment or Fluxbox. Forget KDE or Gnome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Best way for a newbie to get into Linux is Gentoo stage 3, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 am 

The laptop uses some sort of adapter to go from SATA to something else I've never seen. Someone here might know what I'm talking about.

I've decided to go ahead with an 8GB or 16GB drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

PC_destroyer wrote:
The laptop uses some sort of adapter to go from SATA to something else I've never seen. Someone here might know what I'm talking about.

I've decided to go ahead with an 8GB or 16GB drive.

Laptops have different interfaces ... often proprietary ... that connect to standard 2.5" HDD (either SATA or ATA but very rarely both).

Does the laptop no longer have the required adapter? Sometimes, the adapter is built right into the board (Apple's laptops are usually like this .. you slide the drive right into the adapter).