Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCD screen cracked - worth getting fixed?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

My son stepped on his phone and cracked the screen. It's a FlyPhone from Firefly Mobile. $100 brand new. cost is mainly for the included parental controls.

Options are
1. get a cheaper non-parental controlled phone and then worry about son running up the bill

2. repair phone

3. get replacement flyphone from ebay at about $60 plus shipping

It is necessary for him to have a phone. He cannot keep track of time even with a watch.

Other options? Ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:47 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

how old is he???

frankly i'm shocked now a days at how many kids have phones.... we did well without them for thousands of years now all of a sudden it's a necessity??? if he's 15 or older tell him to get a job or do chores then get him a pay as you go phone.... that way he can use it all he wants as long as he pays for it.... this is one reason today's kids are spoiled and don't value anything... parents keep giving them unnecessary luxuries to replace parenting skills.... frankly if my parents ever gave me a phone when i was under 18 i'd be horrified if i ever over used it.... obviously he doesn't respect you as his parent if you need parental controls and are concerned...

hey he broke it he pays for a new one... :wink:

oh and he needs a phone to keep time??? are you fucking kidding me??? you obviously need to start disciplining properly.... it really makes sense because your kid can't tell time and is late you buy him a cell phone.... lol so what do you buy him if he fails all his classes???? a car??? rofl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:29 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

it will more than likely cost more to fix it than to get a ebay replacement. only issues with the ebay phone is it may not have a new battery or full warranty (are the ebay ones new, referbs or used?), but you can always use the existing battery if its better. make sure you can transfer the parental locks and such over to the new phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:16 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I have to agree with puffy here. My son (16 at the time), kept breaking his phone...enough is enough, you broke it, go get your own. we did buy the first phone when we got our new cell phone plan (it was convenient). He broke the first one within one year. He has a job, he paid for his 2nd phone. He broke that one within a year. Now, me and the wife have a new cell plan, and guess what....he ain't on it. He has now gone to a pay as you go plan. He is responsible for buying his own minutes and phone.

My parents didn't buy me 'luxuries' like that growing up. I paid for my first car, my insurance, my gas and anything I wanted/needed. They did, like all good parents, provide clothing, food, and a roof over my head. But, when I got to the age of where I was able to get a job, I started paying for most of my things. It's called life, it doesn't get easier as you get older, and you better start them early. The world doesn't give a damn if you 'accidentally' break your phone. Suck it up and move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:31 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Lol guys all he asked if it was worth fixing the damn phone dont scare him of the forum lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:09 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

killerxx7 wrote:
Lol guys all he asked if it was worth fixing the damn phone dont scare him of the forum lol

That's a "Her" I believe.

As much as Puffy's post probably pisses you off, you really should look past your possible anger and see it for what it is.

Damned good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:14 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

killerxx7 wrote:

"SHE" is now used to our blunt and forward advice... i hold no ill will towards "HER" at all... i just think the problem with today's kids starts with the parents... my advice sometimes come with a cost.... big $$$ or hurt feelings may be part of the payment but i mean well.... who knows this could be a turning point in her family's life.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I understand what you guys are saying and i totally agree that is the way i was raised,i all ways have to buy my own things and it really did teach me the value of money rather then being a spoiled ass kid like alot of my mates.
But all she asked was for help with a cracked phone screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:18 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

killerxx7 wrote:
I understand what you guys are saying and i totally agree that is the way i was raised,i all ways have to buy my own things and it really did teach me the value of money rather then being a spoiled ass kid like alot of my mates.

she also asked for other options or ideas... please read the entire post... if someone comes onto a public forum and ask questions they may get answers they may not like.... fyi...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

haha cellphone, you dont need one, honestly. if anything pick up a cheap pay as you go, and make him pay for his own minuets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I am 100% female and yes, I'm quite used to the blunt replies, especially from the monkeys. btw, I have a cage and cattle prod all ready.... :twisted:

and my son has ADHD, which is why he has trouble keeping track of time. I didn't want to mentioned that because I don't want it to be an excuse or a crutch for him. Believe me, I tried the discipline method until we both stressing ourselves. I was punishing him all the time. Therapist was like, well a symptom of ADHD is not being able to keep track of time. D'oh! So, instead of this

me: you can go outside, be in by 9p
me at 930 peeking out the window
me at 10 pacing
me at 11p calling his friends
son at 12 midnight waltzing in (ok exaggerating, but you get the point)

it's this

me: be in by 9p
me setting his phone alarm to go off 8.45
son coming in at close to 9
OR
me calling son: hey it's time to come in
son: ok mom (he's in a few mins)

Same issue with anything dealing with time, like playing video games or Internet or "be ready in 15 mins, because I have to go somewhere".

Said son is 13 so no job yet but when he does work, he will pay for own bill

Now daughter is different story. she is now 17, works, and has been paying for her own cellphone(s) and bill since 14. I firmly believe in kids paying for stuff that they WANT with their own $$. Just that in my son's case, it's more of a necessity - for my family anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

13!?!?!

Wow....

No matter if they have ADHD when the belt breaks out they remember the next time they're late. That's the way it used to be in my family!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

what about a watch with an alarm on it... much cheaper and from what you've said he's not a bad kid just has some issues that are not his fault.... set the watch alarm to when he needs to come home and *BAM* he's back.... giving someone a cellphone (even with his issues) to me doesn't make sense....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I think she wants him to have a cell phone, not only so he remebers the time but allso so she can get in contact with him or vise versa.

(sorry for bad grammer im not on my rig and dont have spell check :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

staypuff wrote:
killerxx7 wrote:

she also asked for other options or ideas... please read the entire post... if someone comes onto a public forum and ask questions they may get answers they may not like.... fyi...

More importantly, Queen is a grown woman and she knows what to expect when she asks for help here. Even more importantly .. she ismore than capable of handling us and telling us to stfu if she wants.

Queenof1 > killer. :lol:

Queen: if he is old enough, I'd involve your son in the decision making process .. and the cost of the phone. He broke it ... so ask him if he'd rather pay to fix what he broke, pay for a new phone with parental controls, or pay for a new phone without parental controls .. and any additional costs he incurs.

He could learn a valuable lesson .. if you're sure you can get the money from him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:17 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I heart you, Jip.